× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4.2.25 & 10.9 Time Machine Capacity?

nkelesh
Aspirant

4.2.25 & 10.9 Time Machine Capacity?

I just upgraded my Ultra 6 Plus to 4.2.25 and it looks like 10.9 is ignoring the capacity limit that I define for backups. On the Mac side, Time Machine is reporting all available space on the ReadyNAS as its capacity. Anyone know of a fix?
Message 1 of 10
nkelesh
Aspirant

After digging around a bit, I was able to use the following fix on my device...

You will need to enable root SSH access first (this can be downloaded as an add-on)

1) cd /var/lib/timemachine
2) vi .AppleVolumes
3) Change this line --> /c/.timemachine [device-name] cnidscheme:dbd allow:[user-name] options:tm
to --> /c/.timemachine [device-name] cnidscheme:dbd allow:[user-name] volsizelimit:500000 options:tm

The volsizelimit is in MB and can be adjusted to meet your needs.

4) /etc/init.d/netatalk restart
5) Log into FrontView admin web site and change the Time Machine capacity to be equal to or greater then what was set for volsizelimit above

The reason for the last step is because FrontView uses user quota settings to limit the size of backups where the volsizelimit parameter actually sets a volume limit. If the user quota is too small then Time Machine will error out at some point before volsizelimit is reached. Mac OS X seems to like the volsizelimit over the user quota setting.
Message 2 of 10
HowieG1
Aspirant

Thanks for this. I'm rather reluctant to use SSH as I'm not yet very familiar with Linux etc. However it's good to know the cause is understood. I presume you've tested and confirmed the fix works in practice?

Are other NAS manufacturers also affected as they were with the previous issue?
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let's hope NetGear can implement this change in the next firmware. Shouldn't be hard for them to come up with a workable solution.
Message 4 of 10
nkelesh
Aspirant

HowieG wrote:
Thanks for this. I'm rather reluctant to use SSH as I'm not yet very familiar with Linux etc. However it's good to know the cause is understood. I presume you've tested and confirmed the fix works in practice?

Are other NAS manufacturers also affected as they were with the previous issue?

Yes, it fixed my problem.

I'm only familiar with Synology and I do believe they use the same technique of setting a user quota for Time Machine, however I can't say if they are having the same problem as well since I don't have one on hand.
Message 5 of 10
2Nutz
Aspirant

Seemed to work on my 4.1.13 release w/ Snow Leopard O/S but have a point of confusion.

After installing one of the Beta 4.1.13's (T1, T2 or T4 - ?) is when I lost the correct Timemachine allocation.

Typed in the 500000 mb number exactly as in your posting. Went into Frontview and changed the Timemachine allocation to 501,
but my Timemachine application within Snow Leopard shows as available 194.88 GB of 524.29 GB. 524.29 GB Total size ? Would have expected 500 GB or less as total size. Where did the extra 24.29 GB come from ?
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your Mac reports TM space using TB whereas the NAS uses TiB.

500 MiB / 1000^2 * 1024^2 = 524.29 GB
Message 7 of 10
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

thanks for reporting this issue, we are working on that.
Message 8 of 10
b00st3d
Aspirant

i should have stuck to 4.2.23.
Message 9 of 10
b00st3d
Aspirant

downgrading to 4.2.23 fixed the issue for me....
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements