× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.31 to io6

Kinu
Aspirant

4.2.31 to io6

please someone give me step by step guide on how to update 4.2.31 to new iO 6 newer

i have readynas 2100 v2 

Rdiiator 4.2.31

bios 08/23/20211 readynas-NVX-V2 V1.10

if any one can help please

Model: RNRX4430|ReadyNAS 2100 12TB (4 x 3TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: 4.2.31 to io6

@Kinu wrote:

HOWEVER I was so excited to do this and did NOT take your advise of backing up my home videos - i thought firmware take effact on the mother board and not impact hard drive

HOW I WAS WRONG

my question is now i revert back to Radar 4.2.31 will get my dat back??????

The working OS on a ReadyNAS has always been on the drives, not in flash.  The flash contains a boot loader, the boot menu options, and a clean version of the OS for installation onto the drives.  OS6 uses a different OS partition size and volume format, so the NAS must factory default with OS6. Thus, the drives were completely reformatted and re-sync'ed as BTRFS instead of the EXT format used by OS 4.2.x, and with different sized partitions.  It is highly unlikely there is any way you can get anything back from those drives.  But you can test ReclaiMe for free, so it's worth a try.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
mdgm
Virtuoso

You have the 2100 V2 which has a 64-bit CPU unlike the 2100 V1 which has a 32-bit CPU.

The V2 can be updated to OS6 but the V1 cannot.

1st step is to backup your data

2nd step is to install the Prep R4 to R6 add-on (to avoid having to do a manual factory reset)

3rd step is to install the R4toR6 image when prompted.

The system will reboot multiple times, do a factory reset at the appropriate time and come up running OS6.

You can then restore your data from backup.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

1st step is to backup your data

2nd step is to install the Prep R4 to R6 add-on (to avoid having to do a manual factory reset)

3rd step is to install the R4toR6 image when prompted.

Download links are:

Message 3 of 6
mdgm
Virtuoso

What I meant to say was when you install the R4 to R6 firmware image you will be prompted to reboot, so you should accept that prompt.

Message 4 of 6
Kinu
Aspirant

Hello Guys

thank you for your support

it worked beautyfully and upgrraed to lastes version of OS

HOWEVER I was so excited to do this and did NOT take your advise of backing up my home videos - i thought firmware take effact on the mother board and not impact hard drive

HOW I WAS WRONG

i am currently  conpenplating using ReclaimMe data recovery app - 

is there any orhter easre way 

i admit i am stupid and not listing to you all out there 

any suggestion would be aprriciated 

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

@Kinu wrote:

HOW I WAS WRONG

The working OS on a ReadyNAS has always been on the drives, not in flash.  The flash contains a boot loader, the boot menu options, and a clean version of the OS for installation onto the drives.  OS6 uses a different OS partition size and volume format, so the NAS must factory default with OS6. Thus, the drives were completely reformatted and re-sync'ed as BTRFS instead of the EXT format used by OS 4.2.x, and with different sized partitions.  It is highly unlikely there is any way you can get anything back from those drives.  But you can test ReclaiMe for free, so it's worth a try.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements