× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 500 Internal server error

Laserbait
Luminary

500 Internal server error

On Jan 24th, I was working in the GUI of my RN204 just fine. I changed the retention policy on my volumes from the "smart", to 3 days, and quit.

On Jan 25th, I can't access the array GUI. It's reporting a "500 Internal Server Error".

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at admin@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

• This RN204 is running ReadyNAS 6.10.4.
  • I am able to log into the CLI, and it seems to be up. did a df -h, and none of the mount points are full.
  • My ReadyDR jobs from the RN316 are still working.
  • I tried to download the logs with RAIDar, but it won't accept the password (same username/password for the CLI works fine). 
  • I have not tried to reboot it yet, just in case it doesn't come back up.

This RN204 is my ReadyDR target, so I can nuke it without loosing any data. But, I would prefer to fix the issue, as resyncing it with my 316 will take days to complete.

What logs can I look at to start to figure out what happened to this thing?  Would anyone from Netgear like to look at this NAS?

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Laserbait

There seem to be BTRFS errors that might be resolved by doing a Factory reset. Another one is that your Data volume at the time might have been less than 20% causing a degraded performance.

If you have a full backup or you can choose to do a reset, this might be better as to have a new or fresh NAS config

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Laserbati

What is the status of the NAS on RAIDar? Have you tried using the password you are using when logging in on the GUI or use the default password when getting the logs thru RAIDar

You can check the dmesg or kernel.log to check for clues on why the service went off. You can also forward it to me via PM so we can help.

Message 2 of 9
Laserbait
Luminary

Hello @Marc_V ,

The RAIDar status was showing healthy.  After not finding anything useful (couldn't even find a kernel.log), I rebooted on the 28th.  It came back up as expected, and I was able to access the RN204 via the web.   I do have a log bundle that I took after the reboot, if you're interested in looking at it.

Message 3 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Laserbait

Kindly send it to me via PM so we can take a look.

Message 4 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Laserbait

There seem to be BTRFS errors that might be resolved by doing a Factory reset. Another one is that your Data volume at the time might have been less than 20% causing a degraded performance.

If you have a full backup or you can choose to do a reset, this might be better as to have a new or fresh NAS config

Message 5 of 9
Laserbait
Luminary

Thanks Marc,

Yes, the RN204 was usually sitting at about 80% full most of the time.  For the BTRFS errors, would a volume delete and recreate accomplish the same effect, as the factory reset?  I ask because the last time I did a factory reset, it was a kind of a pain to get it all set up again.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

Thanks Marc,

Yes, the RN204 was usually sitting at about 80% full most of the time.  For the BTRFS errors, would a volume delete and recreate accomplish the same effect, as the factory reset?  I ask because the last time I did a factory reset, it was a kind of a pain to get it all set up again.

Either way you'd need to recreate shares, backup jobs, reinstall all the apps, and restore all the data - so there's not big difference in the amount of work.

However, in the RN200 series, the data volume uses BTRFS and the OS uses ext.  So deleting the data volume and recreating it would have the same effect as far as the BTRFS itself goes.  Of course, the factory reset gives you a completely clean OS partition as well.

Message 7 of 9
Laserbait
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB 

This RN204 is just a readyDR target, so there's not a lot to recreate, thankfully.   Just time consuming to get it synced up with the RN316.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

Just time consuming to get it synced up with the RN316.

Unfortunately there's no way to avoid that.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements