× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 528x Getting Shares to do what i want

craer
Aspirant

528x Getting Shares to do what i want

ok not new to readynas but i want to know your guys thoughts on a few things..

mainly working on my new 528X running 6.8.1 But i have 5 or 6 readynas's

some os 6 some os 4.2.xxx

i am trying to see what everyone else is doing but cant find it in the forms

i use the 528 for all my storage. yes it backs up to 2 other readynas's "i made that mistake"

+ i let friends family ext use it as there backup or central hub or there data. 

what i want is, i use to use the home folders and every ones private files and it was fine on my ultra4+ but now with bit rot and other goodies with os6 + some feachers you cant do or use home folders with like readynas replicate.. just dont want to miss out on stuff  and would be REALY nice to have bit rot on home folders.

one guy said just make a share for every one separate and set the permissions so only the one i want to use that folder access it and have the proper rights "R/W"

any one else do this?  or what do you do different?

next Antiviruses .....

is there any way to control it ?

or it just says hey this is a viruses plz deleat it..

and it think some stuff is a viruses that isent

last thing is now with OS6 i dont have any or use and local users anymore cause i cant see my files "home folders" out in the world like on readycloud so i login localy using readycloud user and pass.  is this what others are finding or doing. im just worried of losing files like a few months  ago when readycloud dissconneced from a lot of people if not all NAS systems but any local accounts where fine " that was not fun"

thanks for taking the time and reading this hope to get some good ideas from this b4 i make the big move of all my files to the new 528x

once more thanks

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@craer wrote:

... readynas replicate...

Netgear just announced that Replicate (and Remote) are being deprecated, so you will need to find alternatives there.

@craer wrote:

next Antiviruses .....

is there any way to control it ?

Unfortunately, no.  Since there isn't, I leave it off, and depend on the AntiVirus software running in my PCs.

@craer wrote:

what i want is, i use to use the home folders and every ones private files and it was fine on my ultra4+ but now with bit rot and other goodies with os6 + some feachers you cant do or use home folders with like readynas replicate.. just dont want to miss out on stuff  and would be REALY nice to have bit rot on home folders.

one guy said just make a share for every one separate and set the permissions so only the one i want to use that folder access it and have the proper rights "R/W"

I don't use (or need) the home folders myself.  Backing them up and restoring them is painful (both on OS 4 and OS 6).  So I do recommend trying using public shares with suitable access controls instead.

@craer wrote:

im just worried of losing files like a few months  ago when readycloud dissconneced from a lot of people if not all NAS systems but any local accounts where fine " that was not fun"

Netgear made some changes there, so that particular failure mode wouldn't result in data loss now.

Still, there are a lot of ReadyCloud problems reported here.  Personally I don't use it - instead I use OpenVPN (which is built into my Orbi router).  OpenVPN gives full access to your home network - not a problem for me, because I am not sharing files on my NAS with friends, I am only needing remote access for myself and family. 

OwnCloud is similar to ReadyCloud.  You could also try syncing a share with Google Drive, and sharing files from the Google Drive.

Message 2 of 7
craer
Aspirant

ok thanks anyone else use homes or do anything else 

i am just doing a frainds and famley cloud and it nice when every one can have there own space thats only readable let a long visable only to them.  any yet takes full advantige of all that ready nas offers such as bit rot..

open vpn  ya thats in my router as well ,havent picked a vpn yet i want to go with but... how does that give access to your files insted of readycloud or such like app

and does any one see any problems with not using the home folders

and what are thay for any way if there so inferier to shares

thanks

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@craer wrote:

open vpn  ya thats in my router as well ,havent picked a vpn yet i want to go with but... how does that give access to your files insted of readycloud or such like app

You install OpenVPN on your device (Android, iOS, Windows, Mac), and configure the VPN - Netgear routers give you downloads for the specific configs.

Then you start the VPN on your device, and you have full access to your home network - NAS, printers, whatever.

This is a bit different from using a VPN tunnel to access the internet (for privacy).  You are using the VPN to give you secure access to your home network.

Message 4 of 7
craer
Aspirant

got ya.. never used it.. might have to try i do like readycloud so we will see.

i think i am going to make a share for each user

even tho i think i will be ok with homes

is there a way to hide a share if the user cant read or wright to it on ready cloud like i see for smb+ has on there app.  i do see in the share "hide this folder" under network access under smb but not sure what is the point?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

"hide this share" will block it from showing up when you enter \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-name in windows explorer.  You can still access it if you enter \\nas-name\share-name.  Also, you can set up file explorer to show hidden folders.

Message 6 of 7
craer
Aspirant

got ya.. sp hides stuff from people who dont know what there doing..

well i got what i nead i think waiting for the last tb of files to move over to the new cloud and i am going to try to follow one of your other post about making a 4.2 nas to os6

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements