× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.10.5 not cleanly shutting down on Readynas Pro6

BotanyBay
Tutor

Still not completing shutdown...

Message 26 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@BotanyBay wrote:

Still not completing shutdown...

Ok.  This pretty much rules out the ReadyNAS application, since shutdown is a built-in linux command

Do you have a spare disk we could use as a test?  I'm thinking that you could 

1. power down
  2. remove all disks labeling by slot
  3. do a factory install on the spare.

Then see if the same problem happens with the other disk.

Another way to check this

• shut down both the RN626 and the Pro6. 
  • Remove all disks from both NAS (labeling by slot and NAS)
  • Insert all the disks from the RN626 into the Pro6
  • Power up the Pro 6

The Pro 6 will now have the RN626 configuration (and shares, etc).  You can then log in to the web ui, using the RN626 credentials, and see if the shutdown works normally.

If it does, then insert the disks from the Pro6 into the RN626, and power it up.  Then log into the RN626 (using the Pro6 credentials), and confirm that the shutdown problem moves with the disks (or not).

When done, power down both NAS and restore the disks to their original locations.

Be careful to only insert/remove disks when the NAS is powered down.  And of course don't mix the disks up.

Message 27 of 28
BotanyBay
Tutor

I was figuring that this would be the next step...

I will look for a spare disk to do a reinstall on and see if the problem goes away.

Would rather not fiddle with the 626 at the same time as the backup system (i.e. the Pro6) if I can possibly avoid it but a good thought. I was also thinking about setting up a background task to do a "ps" every few minutes and see if we can get an indication of what is hanging up.

Message 28 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements