× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.4.0 changes share network access permissions for groups

vandermerwe
Master

6.4.0 changes share network access permissions for groups

Upgraded to 6.4.0, no other changes.

Now all windows users get network access credentials prompt when trying to access a share for which same users have always had access as part of a group of users defined on the readynas.

Network access permission box for users is ticked and this has always worked previously - on all previous versions of OS6, OS4.2.x and 4.1.x.  I have never had these prompts before and of course the credentials of the user entered in this dialog box are not accepted (no suprise there)

Now I need to grant each user network access by ticking the individual user's name on the network access tab.  This effectively renders the use of groups of users on the readynas useless.  Simple to solve,but....

Why is this broken now, this cannot be by design?

Message 1 of 20
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello vandermerwe,

the problem must be somewhere else. I have no problem accessing shares with access allowed only to a group and not a specific user. RN314 OS 6.4.0. The group existed before the update. The only thing is that I configured this access restriction after the update. Is your problem also true if you assign access to another group / new group?

Bye,

Eskender

Message 2 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

I will test that later. 

I have tried disabling and re-enabling access to the group but this doesn't help, if the specific user isn't ticked then access is denied.

Message 3 of 20
Vagir
Tutor

@vandermerwe wrote:

Upgraded to 6.4.0, no other changes.

Now all windows users get network access credentials prompt when trying to access a share for which same users have always had access as part of a group of users defined on the readynas.

Network access permission box for users is ticked and this has always worked previously - on all previous versions of OS6, OS4.2.x and 4.1.x.  I have never had these prompts before and of course the credentials of the user entered in this dialog box are not accepted (no suprise there)

Now I need to grant each user network access by ticking the individual user's name on the network access tab.  This effectively renders the use of groups of users on the readynas useless.  Simple to solve,but....

Why is this broken now, this cannot be by design?

Hello!

I have absolutelly the same problem.

Group "users" now doesn't grant permissions for users to access shared folder.

This bug must be fixed...

Message 4 of 20
Vagir
Tutor

@EskenderNG wrote:

Is your problem also true if you assign access to another group / new group? 

No, this problem affects only "users" group.

All other groups work great.

It concerns SMB page of grant settings for shared folder.

Message 5 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

Vagir is right, it is only the embedded group "users" which has this problem.

If I create a group "newusers" and add the same users to it as are in "users"; then remove access rights for "users" group, and all specific users, and then grant access to "newusers" group then the access is as expected.

If I change a user's primary group to "newusers" and then back to "users" it does not make any difference.

Message 6 of 20
Vagir
Tutor

And this happened exactly after upgraded to 6.4.0.

No other changes were made, just FW upgrade.

Message 7 of 20
Parcsti
Initiate

I have the same problem. The only changes to the 104 was the update from 6.2 to 6.4.   I can not access my ReadyNas 104 from Windows if users are assigned to a group.  I have tried adding a new group but did not help. The only way to access shares is to allow each user access to the share.

Message 8 of 20
Azalin
Initiate

Right after the update from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 I tried to access the Samba shares on a Windows system and I discovered access was denied. At first I thought it was a Windows problem and that the connection had to be reset or connection had to be broken but then I tried to access the shares with a different user (but within the same user group "users") on a Linux based system and again access was denied. I thought Samba maybe needed a reboot and since I did not want to mess around with SSH I restarted the whole ReadyNAS ... after it came back, the shares were still inaccesible. So, then I tried accessing the shares using the admin account and that seemed to work.

After trying several things I found out that if I removed access rights for the "users" group and just gave all the users in the "users" group read/write access to the shares, the user was able to access the share again.

I have not tried to add the user to a different (new) group and give that group read/write access yet. It does seem to be related to the 6.4.0 firmware update as I did not have this problem before the update. So, for now, I have given all the users that need access to the various shares specific r/w access but it would have been better if I could arrange this on a group basis and that I did not have had to change all the permissions for all the shares.

I did not want to add to this discussion with "I have the same problem" but I feared that if nobody replies, Netgear might not see this as a problem that needs to be fixed. I guess that a lot of people have this, especially with the RN102.

Message 9 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

An acknowledgement from Netgear that they have reproduced this would be helpful.

Message 10 of 20
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

I will post new information as soon as it is available.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 11 of 20
nowhereman
Aspirant

I think I have the same problem.

I bought a new UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for my server.  I logged in to down the server, and saw the update.  I saw the popup for an update...and FOOLISHLY thought 'why not, I'm rebooting it anyway.'

Upon reboot, I can login via a browser, but none of my computers can connect via windows/file explorer (or through links).  When trying to browse in File Explorer, I get the windows login prompt...and it won't take what I know is a corect login/password combo.

I creaed a new account and tried that...no go.

I did notice in the windows dialog box that the domain is my computer name.  I had previously clicked remember my credendials and i don't remember if that domain is correct.  The computer name is not the same as the computer domain.

Message 12 of 20
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello again,

First of all thank you for taking the time to report problems here on the forum and apologies for the inconvienence any bug brings with it. The current status is that the problem was reproduced and has then been reported to the engineering team. They are working on a solution but I currently have no information about the cause nor an ETA for a fix at the moment.

Thank you,

Eskender

Message 13 of 20
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Presumably none of you are in domain mode.  If that's the case, if you've got SSH enabled, this command should fix it for you:

echo winbind use default domain = 0 >> /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides
Message 14 of 20
Vagir
Tutor

@Skywalker wrote:

Presumably none of you are in domain mode.  If that's the case, if you've got SSH enabled, this command should fix it for you:

echo winbind use default domain = 0 >> /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides

Thank you for so important information!

One question, please: will enabling SSH and runnung this command break the NETGEAR's warranty for my device?

Message 15 of 20
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I'm sure you wouldn't be denied support simply for executing that command.  However, if it makes you uneasy, another option would be to simply renamed the "users" group.  You could rename it to, say, "myusers", and the problem should go away.  Or, you can wait for 6.4.1 beta, which already has a fix for this.

Message 16 of 20
Vagir
Tutor

@Skywalker wrote:

I'm sure you wouldn't be denied support simply for executing that command.  However, if it makes you uneasy, another option would be to simply renamed the "users" group.  You could rename it to, say, "myusers", and the problem should go away.  Or, you can wait for 6.4.1 beta, which already has a fix for this.

I think, it is better for me to wait for official fix.

Thank you for your very useful help!!

Message 17 of 20
punchbuggy
Guide

Hi. I find I can no longer copy or delete files from shares on my RN314 after applying 3.4.0. This is a significant issue for me.

I tried the suggested command via SSH, but it didn't resolve the matter for me.

Looking forward to 3.4.1...

Message 18 of 20
punchbuggy
Guide

And, of course, I was referring to having applied 6.4.0, and looking forward to the 6.4.1 beta...

Message 19 of 20
punchbuggy
Guide

For the record, I can confirm that 6.4.1 Beta 1 resolved my share access issue. Thanks team.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements