× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.5.0 RN104 smb home folders cloud users issue with permissions

quiquebv
Follower

6.5.0 RN104 smb home folders cloud users issue with permissions

Hello,

I updated to version 6.5.0 yesterday.

The only way of sharing that I'm using is SMB. The users in the NAS are Cloud Users.

Before the upgrade (Windows & ReadyCloud: user/password=xyz/abc), I had read-write permissions in all folders/files in any Home Folder (of course each user had access only to its own Home Folder, not to the rest).

After the updrage (Windows: user/password=xyz/abc; ReadyCloud: user/password=xyz@onedomain.com/abc), I have realized that using Windows (the only operative system that I have checked), and related with the existing folders/files before the update, I have read-only permission. It is curious because I can rename folders but not files. Any new file/folder has read-write permissions. Using the same user on Readycloud, I have read-write permission to existing and new files/folders.

I have checked the permissions using SSH, and they are the same in existing and new files/folders.

I have checked the permissions using Windows and in the existing files/folders there is a user that the system doesn't recognize (Unknown User), and the new one doesn't exist. In the new files/folders the "Unknown User" doesn't exist but the new user yes (xyz@onedomain.com).

As a workaround I'm copying files/folders from the NAS to my Windows based computer using SMB, then deleting the files/folders using ReadyCloud, and finally copying again from my Windows based computer to the NAS, so all the permissions (Unknown User does no longer exists, and "xyz@onedomain.com" yes) are OK after this process. Doing this for more than 1TB will take many days...

I have tried the following without success:

- Rebooting the system

- From Windows, "Maping a Network Shared" using "Different Credentials" (xyz@onedomain.com/abc).

- Disabling SMB and enabling it later

- In the Credentials Manager in Windows, adding to my windows user (xyz/abc) the credential of the NAS (xyz@onedomain.com/abc).

- Creating the Windows user/password=xyz@onedomain.com/abc

- Using Windows, I have tried to add the new user (xyz@onedomain.com) using the Security Tab in the File/Folder Properties, but couldn't add it.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks and best regards,

Quique

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 2
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 6.5.0 RN104 smb home folders cloud users issue with permissions

Hi quiquebv,

Welcome to the community!

Thank you for sharing your workaround but there are several things you could have tried like resetting the permission of the affected share or re-login your main ReadyCLOUD account in the admin page and on the installed ReadyCLOUD desktop app in your PC then map the said shares. We'll definitely look into this issue and it seems your not the only one who have experienced this.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements