× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.5.0 vs 6.6.0 on Pro6

BotanyBay
Tutor

6.5.0 vs 6.6.0 on Pro6

I am about to venture into the relm of OS6 on my Pro6 and I am curious if I should start with 6.5.0 (which from everything I have been reading is very stable) vs trying to run 6.6.0.

I see that some of the applications don't yet run on 6.6.0, one of them being PLEX which I would like to experiment with, although not immediately.

I am very good about backups but this is my "home production server" and is used to store critial data.

I am currently running 4.2.28 but ran 4.2.19 for many years.

Once I have a stable version I am planning on migrating all of my data onto the updated platform.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Anyway the Plex problems are with the RN2XX ARM build, I believe, not the x86 one.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 20

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Plex will certainly be fixed, so if you are not in a rush to implement it, I'd start with 6.6.0

You may not have much choice anyway, since the most of the r4tor6 bins on the downlload site are links to the latest (no matter what release is appended to their name).

Message 2 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Anyway the Plex problems are with the RN2XX ARM build, I believe, not the x86 one.

Message 3 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Thanks,

Sounds like going to 6.6.0 is the right choice. Will run it for a bit before overwriting the legacy 4.2.28 disks.

Message 4 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

@mdgm wrote:

Are there any limitations to the 6.6.0 that I should be worrying about. Prior use has been purely as a file server, just now starting to use the box for other applications.

Message 5 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Successfully updated a Pro6 to 6.6.0

A single 3tb seagate drive is installed

Fans are quiet and stable so far.

Enabled disk spin down to ensure that is working correctly

CPU is 35C/95F

System is 55C/131F

I did not look before the update, for an idle system is it expected that the system is warmer than the CPU?

Message 6 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Looks like these numbers are correct. Found several other responses that look very similar.

Just making sure nothing is reversed or not monitoring correctly.

Running the "quiet" mode and cpu fan is running 1506rpm and the system fan is running 1171rpm

Message 7 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Stability of 6.6.0 on this hardware continues to be good.

Data rates from USB2 are now over 30MB/Sec using RSYNC to a single internal disk which is quite good. (Definitely faster than 4.2.19)

An odd issue was that when I nearly filled up the volume (~150mb remaining of 3TB, accident with second RSYNC which tried to make a complete second copy of the old data) I decided the fastest way to clean up the system was to delete the share that the data was in.

The share was deleted, however, the storage space did not return. After 24 hours of no change, I rebooted the NAS and the volume looked good. (And empty as expected)

I did run the balance and defrag commands on the volume which ran quickly and correctly.

I have seen some issues with filling up this file system causing odd corruptions and I am planning on defaulting the system prior to loading the system for "production" use (this is a home system so "production" is a loose term!). Is there any reason to do this based upon having filled up the file system at one point?

Message 8 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No filesystem should be filled 100% full. Whether it's a system running RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x or ReadyNAS OS 6 or any of our other OSes one of the first things we'd look for would be if the data volume is/was recently quite full.

On OS6 it's best to keep volume usage under about 80-85% or perhaps 90%.

Message 9 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Definitely not a good idea to fill any file system to completely full.

I was not critisizing the system, just wondering if I have accidentally filled the file system and then deleted the share would it be prudent to default the device to force a file system rebuild or is that being overly paranoid?

Thanks again

Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can do whatever you are comfortable with, but if you do do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) be sure to backup any data left on the system first.

Message 11 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

only about 20gig of test data on the machine at the moment so nothing to backup at this point.

I will have two more 3tb drives to install so may do a "erase disks" and install the OS as a clean build.

Thanks

Message 12 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

I have 5 3TB drives available at this point and a couple of 2TB drives (all on the recommended list)

I assume if I start with a single drive I would have to start with the 2TB drive.

However, if resetting the Pro6 (running 6.6.0) for a full rebuild, does it matter which slot the lone 2TB drive ends up in? (i.e. is it better to be in the first slot or last slot for some internal logic reason?)

If the 2TB disk fails and all of the remaining disks are 3TB drives, can I still replace the 2TB drive with another 2TB drive or does it have to be at least as large as the largest drive in the system (i.e. if the 2TB disk fails can I replace it with another 2TB drive or am I forced to use a 3TB drive at that point)

Is there any enherent stability / upgradeability implications of having two sizes of disks in the 6.6.0 system. i.e. is there some reason to not use the 2TB drive. (Which I happen to have a second 2TB drive for a spare)

Message 13 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@BotanyBay wrote:

I assume if I start with a single drive I would have to start with the 2TB drive.

Yes.

@BotanyBay wrote:

However, if resetting the Pro6 (running 6.6.0) for a full rebuild, does it matter which slot the lone 2TB drive ends up in?

No.

@BotanyBay wrote:

If the 2TB disk fails and all of the remaining disks are 3TB drives, can I still replace the 2TB drive with another 2TB drive

Yes.

@BotanyBay wrote:

Is there any enherent stability / upgradeability implications of having two sizes of disks in the 6.6.0 system. i.e. is there some reason to not use the 2TB drive. 

None that I can think of.

Message 14 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I am considering putting both of the 2TB drives into the mix and that way the spare is a 3TB drive which could go into any slot if a drive starts failing.

I do have a mix of 7200rpm, 5900rpm, and 5200rpm drives in the mix.

I understand that the root file system is actually RAID0, does it primarily read Drive 0 or is it reading across the entire 6 partitions making up the RAID0 for that small partition? The reason I ask is if there is any preference in a mixed disk speed environment that Drive 0 be the faster disk or does it just not matter.

Thank you very much for all of the very helpful feedback!

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@BotanyBay wrote:

I understand that the root file system is actually RAID0, does it primarily read Drive 0 or is it reading across the entire 6 partitions making up the RAID0 for that small partition? The reason I ask is if there is any preference in a mixed disk speed environment that Drive 0 be the faster disk or does it just not matter.

It is RAID-1 (mirrored across all 6 disks though).

I've asked your speed question myself (wondering if an SSD would be best placed in the first slot).  Netgear said it didn't matter, though I have wondered if that is correct.

Message 16 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback on the speed of the first disk.

I will probably put a fast one there in the end just because it seems like a good thing to do.

Current plan is to end up in the following configuration

Slot 1: 7200rpm 3TB

Slot 2: 5200rpm 3TB

Slot 3: 7200rpm 3TB

Slot 4: 7200rpm 3TB

Slot 5: 5700rpm 2TB

Slot 6: 5700rpm 2TB

The reason is purely to put the higher temperature (i.e. faster) disks in slots which tend to be better cooled. Thus Slot2 and Slot5 which seem to run hotter due to being in the middle of the pack are intrinsically cooler running disks

This leaves me with one additional 3TB drive (I have pulled all of the sub 2TB disks out of the mix) which is the "onsite" replacement. If I end up with a failed drive, this drive can be used to replace any drive in the system.

If I were to keep a 2TB as the spare and I had a 3TB drive fail I would have to run out and purchase a new drive.

As a "stress test" of all of the drives I started with a single drive and have been resyncing the X-RAID2 volume (single redundancy) one by one which is forcing multiple reads of every sector of every disk.

Based upon accidentially filling the volume up when it was a single disk and that I started with a 3TB disk and want to include 2TB disks in the mix I will default the box once all of the disks have been tested and start from scratch since at this point I am triple backed with regard to all data.

Thank you again for answering so many questions! I tend to keep these machines stable for long periods of time after initial setup and so like to make sure I made good choices initially.

Message 17 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

A bit of a followup with regard to 6.6.0 on my Pro 6.

So far the move from 4.2.x to 6.6.0 has been very successful, no issues with the system now that it is loaded to about 85% of capacity (expect to be pulling the capacity down as there are some duplicates of large structures hanging around from old backups of various things).

The only issue which I am continuing to monitor is one of the disks threw about 10 or 11 pending write warnings which have cleared and the ATA command error increased from 6 to 8. I shut down the machine, pulled the disk, made sure the pins were clean, reseated the drive carefully a few times and powered the system back up. That was a week ago and I have not seen any additional warnings.

I did install the SSH package via a manual download and move onto the network the NAS lives on which worked very nicely.

Until I finish reorganizing all of the old backups and get a nice cleaned up "digitial attic" I am not adding any additional capability to the machine, things whch I expect to test later:

1) Disk Spindown - have not yet turned on, will eventually

2) time based power on/power off - have not yet turned on, will eventually

3) Plex - Interested to try, have not yet installed

Still hunting for a good duplicate finder application to help kill off large scale duplication which has occured over the years.

Thank you all for a great update to the Pro 6! It is really working well!

Message 18 of 20
BotanyBay
Tutor

Forgot to mention what I did to stress test the problem drive after reseating drive a couple of times.

Full Scrub

Rebalance

Verify (can't remember exactly what it was called)

Second Full Scrub

No additional errors surfaced after about 4 days of hard activity so I am assuming that the drive was not quite seated correctly which induced the erros.

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

thx for the update!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation