× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.6.0 Cant Access Admin Page, Device keeps crashing/hanging

philipGood
Aspirant

6.6.0 Cant Access Admin Page, Device keeps crashing/hanging

Hello, for the last little while, I have had trouble accessing the Admin Page on my readyNas 104 using version 6.6.0. 

My current set up is as follows;

-4x 3TB Western Digital Red Drives running in RAID X

-Capacity is over 90% Full

-Anti Virus and Amazon Cloud Sync both running on readyNas

-no other Apps running on the readyNas

Access to the admin Page is sporatic. 

RAIDAR sometimes detects the readyNas, but other times does not

RAIDAR often displays "Management Service Offline"

Files on drives are accessable via SMB (when device doesn't crash)

I have managed to download my logs and will send immadiately after this post. 

Thank you, 

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We've changed a backend setting. Let us know if this makes a difference.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 27

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi philipGood,

Please do send the logs. Also just to note and this is generally speaking, we would normally want to have space on the hard drives for a machine to work in a normal state. Having an almost full hard drive can cause some performance issues.

I generally put mine at around 80% full.

Regards,

Message 2 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Hi Framer, logs were sent as per the instructions on the website. I noticed that there are quite a few files within the zip file of the logs. When I read them myself, which ones should I be concentrating on for these sorts of problems?

Thank you,

Message 3 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Logs were sent the same day.

Cheers

Message 4 of 27
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi philipGood,

I would normally check the drives/disks first if there are re-allocated sectors or ATA errors. Thanks for sending the logs.

Might be best for you to back-up your files on another drive (USB, PC).

Regards,

Message 5 of 27
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi philipGood,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Hi Framer, unfortuntely, the problem is persisting. The data on the drives re accessible, however, the admin page rarely works. Ive hard rebooted 3 times only to have the boot sequence get stuck at either 98 or 99%. It stays like this for over an hour and never seems to recover.

The few times I've managed to get into the admin section, I've removed all apps and antivirus running on the unit. Therefore, there only thing running at this time is the drives themselves. No apps, no add ons. Despit this, I still seem to get stuck in the bot sequence at either 98 or 99%.

Message 7 of 27
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi philipGood,

Could you try doing a back-up of your files, then remove some from the ReadyNAS? Try to have the capacity below 80%. Then try accessing the GUI again.

Regards,

Message 8 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Hi FramerV, I've removed many files reducing the load to less than 80% and I am still not able to access the GUI. 

Any more suggestions?

Regards, 

Message 9 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Does https://nas-ip-address/fwbroker respond?  I'm not suggesting that you install firmware, just asking if it displays properly.

Message 10 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Sometime I get this...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /fwbroker on this server.

Apache/2.2.31 (Debian) Server at 192.168.2.10 Port 443 

But sometimes, yes, it just responded.... Welcome to Firmware Update.

This software is designed for update your system.
It is intended to run from the main user interface, but it is possible to use directly here.

Current Version:6.6.0
Remote Version:6.6.1
Image Size:62388224
Release Notes:https://kb.netgear.com/000036572/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-6-1

Or choose a local file to upload:
(this process can take several minutes, so please be patient)

Message 11 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

An interesting point is that it seems that the NAS is still somehow syncing with Amazon Cloud Drive, although not all the time. But I havent been able to access the GUI in over 2 weeks, and recently on Amazon, I found files that I have recently uploaded to the NAS just yesterday. 

It still constantly crashes though. 

Message 12 of 27
StephenB
Guru

I'm wondering if you should try directly connecting the NAS ethernet to your PC (assigning your PC a suitable static address), so you make sure the amazon sync isn't related to the problem.

Message 13 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, cloud you give me a bit more detail on that solution? How do I access the GUI if my PC is connected directly to the N'AS?
Message 14 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

So I'll restate a few facts just so you don't have to scroll up all the time.

Running 4x 3TB drives.
They are pretty full, but not crazy
Apps running in the background: Amazon Cloud Drive (this has been running for a long time, long before the issues started)
N'AS seems to work as a storage device, and Amazon Cloud drive seems to continue running, but the N'AS boot cycle stops at 99%.
The GUI cannot be accesesd. I can get as far as the Login screen, but then I get the message saying the GUi cannot be accessed.
From RAIDAR, I can see my 4 drives, but I get the message Management Service is Offline.
Sometimes I can download my logs, and restart the device from RAIDAR, but other times my username and password so not work.
Message 15 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@philipGood wrote:
Hi Stephen, cloud you give me a bit more detail on that solution? How do I access the GUI if my PC is connected directly to the N'AS?

If you are using DHCP, the NAS will fail over to a static address - generally 192.168.168.168.  That will be shown on your LCD panel.  If the NAS uses a static address, that of course will be used.

You'd set the PC to use a compatible static address.  For instance 192.168.168.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.168.1.

Then you'd enter https://192.168.168.168/admin in the PC web browser.

You could also try booting the nas in read-only mode,  and see if that gets you fully booted.

Message 16 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

Ok, remind me how to boot into read only mode again? I may try that before moving my NAS over to the PC.
Message 17 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 18 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

So I tried booting into Volume Read Only mode and it still gets stuck at 99%. 

Again, I'm not panicking yet. 99% of my data is backed up onto Amazon Cloud. I still have access to the volumes themselves, just not the GUI, and they crash often.

Message 19 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

**New info**

SO the NAS is stuck at 99%

When I hit the power button, is cycles between 99% and fv.amazon.service  So Stephen may be correct in saying that Amazon Cloud sync is somehow causing this thing to fail to boot. 

Is there anyway to disable the service without entering the GUI?

Also, have their been any other reports due to Amazon? Just curious as to whether I'll be able to continue using the service.

Cheers,

Message 20 of 27
philipGood
Aspirant

So, now convonced more than ever that the Amazon Clud Synce is probably the culprit here. 

Does anyone know how to disable it without entering the GUI?  I've gone an deleted about 750GB of data from my drives in an attempt to get the thing to boot up. I thought I was going to have success today as the NAS seemed to successfully boot up, and even displayed the GUI for about 2 seconds before I got the screen telling me that the GUI could not be accessed. 

Any ideas?  Connecting directly to the device as Stephen had suggested has also been unsuccessful.

Cheers, 

Message 21 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@philipGood wrote:

When I hit the power button, is cycles between 99% and fv.amazon.service  So Stephen may be correct in saying that Amazon Cloud sync is somehow causing this thing to fail to boot. 

Is there anyway to disable the service without entering the GUI?

If you try the direct connect procedure I outlined above, the NAS wouldn't be able to reach Amazon.  That might not matter (you still might get the 99% complete issue).  But it might be worth a try.  Another approach with the same result would be to furn off internet service to the NAS in your router (or even block all internet services to devices on your home network for a few minutes).  Then see if rebooting the NAS helps.

You could also use paid support (though they probably will charge).

Message 22 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@philipGood wrote:

Any ideas?  Connecting directly to the device as Stephen had suggested has also been unsuccessful.

That says blocking internet service won't help either.

Hopefully someone from Netgear will have a suggestion.

Message 23 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have just sent you a PM.

Message 24 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We've changed a backend setting. Let us know if this makes a difference.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements