× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.6.1 Unable to access .Timemachine folder via Webinterface/Browser anymore

NAS-SAN-NAS
Aspirant

6.6.1 Unable to access .Timemachine folder via Webinterface/Browser anymore

I cannot access the .timemachine folder anymore via Webinterface/Browser since updating to 6.6.1

So far access was possible with:

https://[IP-ReadyNAS]/admin/browse.html#path=%2Fdata%2F.timemachine

Is there a workaround?

Would like to backup the private and shared timemachine.sparsebundles  to an  USB drive that is attached directly to the RN316.

Tried to backup over the network - via SMB and AFP but copying takes ages and the resulting files were faulty.

Other users also reported about that problem refering to the .apps folder.

As I am a MacOS only user, Windows CMDs as as stated in another discussion rerferring to the .apps folder won't apply in my case.

[System: RN316 6bay 24TB  - ReadyOS 6.6.1 - MacOS 10.12.14 - via WIFI or ETHERNET to the RN]

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@NAS-SAN-NAS wrote:

I cannot access the .timemachine folder anymore via Webinterface/Browser since updating to 6.6.1

This isn't working with 6.7.0 either.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@NAS-SAN-NAS wrote:

This isn't working with 6.7.0 either.

Message 2 of 4
NAS-SAN-NAS
Aspirant

Oh what a pity, because it is annoying if the sparsebundles can only be manipulated over an AFP (or SMB) network access.

For example deleting a TimeMachine.sparsebundle was easily done over the webinterface, now it is a very time and resource consuming task.

Not to mention other advantages with the webinterface access  - copying a sparsebundle to another path on the NAS for example before  repairing it etc. or expanding the timemachine share.

Please Developers at Netgear enable the access via the webinterface asap again or the use with an Apple MacOS environment with NetGear-NAS solutions should be discouraged officially. 

Under the current 6.6 and 6.7 ReadyOS the handling of timemachine.sparsebundles has become a tedious task.

Stephen thank you for your quality responses in the community - even on a sunday - although in this case the "non-solution" is depressing for me at the time being.

It leaves me clueless how to easily manage the sparse bundles when they have to be moved, repaired or other tasks for MacOS System backups.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@NAS-SAN-NAS wrote:

...although in this case the "non-solution" is depressing for me at the time being.

It leaves me clueless how to easily manage the sparse bundles when they have to be moved, repaired or other tasks for MacOS System backups.

FWIW, I PMed development folks, and asked about this change in behavior.

Personally I think the timemachine folder should be a hidden share instead of a normal folder.  Then all the web UI functions (and all the file sharing protocols) are available if the admin needs them.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements