× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.9.3 SMB Veeam backup, error "ReFs.SetFileIntegrity"

WingDog
Guide

6.9.3 SMB Veeam backup, error "ReFs.SetFileIntegrity"

Hello.

Recently we tried to use RND devices (two boxes with 6.9.3 OS onboard) as SMB share repository for Veeam BR 9.5 U3.

We are unable to perform backup to SMB shares located at the RND boxes cause of refs integrity errors.

this thread is closed for comments

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/After-firmware-update-to-6-9-0-my-backup-softwa...

we can't use iSCSI LUN for that case.

so need any solution.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you reach out to Veeam as instructed in that thread?

Message 2 of 30
WingDog
Guide

Yes. Veeam's hotfix was included in Update 3. we are updated to VBR 9.5 update 3, so this is not related to Veeam.

Message 3 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It sounds like an issue to follow up with Veeam about again.

We don't use the ReFs filesystem. Is that what's used by the Veeam backups?

Message 4 of 30
WingDog
Guide

SMB shares from the other not NTGR NAS boxes works well. also, NTGR with readynas os 4 works well.

so, I think, this is 6.9.x issue.

ReFS is new Windows FS.

Message 5 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@WingDog wrote:

so, I think, this is 6.9.x issue.

That doesn't logically follow, though it is a possibility.

Note here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/After-firmware-update-to-6-9-0-my-backup-softwa...

OS 6.9.0 introduced a new SMB feature, and Veeam misinterpreted that feature - throwing the same error.  It was on Veeam, and they fixed it.

This could be a similar problem, or possibly a regression in Veeam (the hot fix might not have been included, despite what you've been told).

So I suggest that you reach out to Veeam again.

Message 6 of 30
WingDog
Guide

okay.

what's about other NASes, not NTRG? or Veeam selectively does not like NTGR?

and additional question is how to disable introduced feature?

Message 7 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@WingDog wrote:

what's about other NASes, not NTRG? or Veeam selectively does not like NTGR?

In the previous case, Veeam didn't handle the FSCTL_DUPLICATE_EXTENTS_TO_FILE attribute in SMB correctly.  As stated in the post I linked "This great new feature allows Windows to directly ask the NAS to clone a portion of an existing file, instantaneously and without consuming any extra space."  Netgear didn't need to provide a way to disable the feature, because Veeam fixed it quickly.  

This new issue of course might have a different cause, but it seems plausible that it is a simple regression (that Veean didn't roll the hotfix into their release cycle).  Have you contacted them?

Message 8 of 30
WingDog
Guide

I have no support contract at Veeam, so I can't open case.

one more question about SMB3 feautures om NTRG: how to downgrade SMB protocol level to SMB2 at 6.9.3 OS?

Message 9 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@WingDog wrote:

how to downgrade SMB protocol level to SMB2 at 6.9.3 OS? 

You can install the SMB plus - that will let you downgrade the protocol level.

Message 10 of 30
WingDog
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@WingDog wrote:

how to downgrade SMB protocol level to SMB2 at 6.9.3 OS? 

You can install the SMB plus - that will let you downgrade the protocol level.

It gave no result.

Message 11 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The problem would be at Veeam's end like with the earlier issue one would think, or as StephenB mentioned it could be a regression.

We're using samba, the open source project for Linux that provides a SMB service/client.

Message 12 of 30
WingDog
Guide

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

The problem would be at Veeam's end like with the earlier issue one would think, or as StephenB mentioned it could be a regression.

We're using samba, the open source project for Linux that provides a SMB service/client.

all other Linux-based NAS using samba, because there is no any other way to present SMB share.

I have Qnap, Synology, Dlink and even Thecus - all of them works with Veeam.

Even old RND with 4.x OS works, and RND 6.x.x prior to 6.9.x works. RND 6.9.3 with shares created at older FW like 6.8.x works, but native 6.9.3 created shares don't.

but problem with 6.9.3 is Veeam's end problem.

where is logic?

well, ok.

let it be Veeam's problem.

Message 13 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@WingDog wrote:

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

all other Linux-based NAS using samba, because there is no any other way to present SMB share.

I have Qnap, Synology, Dlink and even Thecus - all of them works with Veeam.

Even old RND with 4.x OS works, and RND 6.x.x prior to 6.9.x works. RND 6.9.3 with shares created at older FW like 6.8.x works, but native 6.9.3 created shares don't.

but problem with 6.9.3 is Veeam's end problem.

where is logic?

Did you actually read the original post?  Netgear added a new capability (SMB attribute), which takes advantage of the CoW feature in the BTRFS file system.  Veeam's software mistakenly assumed that  particular attribute implied support for a second attribute, even though that second attribute wasn't signaled.  So they tried to use that second attribute, and of course it failed.

In that particular case, it was clearly Veeam's error (for which they provided a hot fix), but it would only show up with an SMB server that only advertised the first attribute (and not the second one).  That was uncommon (and perhaps unique to OS-6).  Although unusual, it wasn't a ReadyNAS bug, because it was allowed in the SMB specifications.  

You are assuming that because the problem only happens with the OS-6 Samba Server, that it must be an OS-6 bug.  But the original case shows the flaw in that reasoning.  After all, this problem also only happens with the Veeam - other clients work fine.  So your same logic could point to Veeam instead (and in the case above, it was their problem).  And there's a third possibility - which is that the cause is a combination of bugs in both devices.  

Something like this usually requires both folks (Veeam and Netgear) to engage - which is a problem in your case since you apparently aren't entitled to contact Veeam support.

Message 14 of 30
DaPan
Aspirant

I got the same Problem in ReadyNas 214: Veeam and Readynas are up to date, Backups fail with ReFs.SetFileIntegrity-Error. I asked for Support at VEEAM but they werent able to fix it (registry entries as suggested in this thread https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/invoke-failed-command-refs-setfileintegrity-t47... did fix the error for some, not for me)

BUT:

Backups are working on Readynas3138 (same Firmware 6.9.3) without any problem.

The only difference between those two is the Raid-System. Readynas3138(backup working) is Raid10, ReadyNas 214 (Backups failing) is default X-Raid. And the HDDs.

Before i reformat the NAS just for testing, has anybody run into the same problem or has another solution. The only solution so far for some users was to downgrade the Firmware, and i'm not sure if i could downgrade ReadyNas 214 (it shipped with 6.9.2).

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 15 of 30
StephenB
Guru

I don't see how the RAID choice would affect this.

You might consider setting up a test share with default file permissions, and see it that works.

Message 16 of 30
DaPan
Aspirant

Hey thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didn't work:

I created a test share with default permissions and added the shared folder to a new job. I'm sorry, I still get the same error. Before it cancels the job, veeam creates a new vbk-File of ~30MB.

Message 17 of 30
StephenB
Guru

That one seems to be Veeam - see this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/After-firmware-update-to-6-9-0-my-backup-softwa...

They are supposed to have a fix for it.

Message 18 of 30
DaPan
Aspirant

Alright, i guess ill take the risk to revert back to 6.8.1...i've already contacted VEEAM Support - we tried anthing and now they also suggest to downgrade the firmware...

Message 19 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let us know how you go with that.

After updating to 6.9.x we do say that you shouldn’t downgrade to releases prior to 6.9.0.
Message 20 of 30
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@WingDog and @DaPan

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/After-firmware-update-to-6-9-0-my-backup-softwa...

The topic is a issue for Veeam angent for Windows, not Veeam backup & replication,

Did you add Linux server on Veeam backup & replication?

if you add Linux server, it will install veeam agent on NAS via SSH when adding server,

the veeam agent only can run on x86 NAS, can't run on ARM NAS.

so only X86 NAS can run backup on Veeam backup & replication.

Message 21 of 30
DaPan
Aspirant

I added a shared folder (CIFS/SMB) as the backup Repository, not Linux Server.

Message 22 of 30
DaPan
Aspirant

Ok, downgrading the Firmware did the trick. This is what i did:

- Restore Factory Defaults

- Skip the Wizard

- Download Firmware 6.8.1 for ARM here: https://kb.netgear.com/000048469/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-8-1

- Manually Update Firmware via the Admin-Console, choose the downloaded file. An error message popped up but i guess it worked anyway.

- Log out

- Log in. A message popped up, that Firmware 6.8.1 will be installed after reboot. I klicked on reboot.

- The (old) firmware installed without any problem

- Created a share (same as before)

- Started a veeam-job an everything went fine. No errors.

Message 23 of 30
WingDog
Guide

Downgrading FW prior to 6.9.(2)3 will help too.
But this is Veeams problem.
Nuff said. Rofl
Message 24 of 30
WingDog
Guide

After two months of friendly chit-chat I do have only one question to NTRG:
Does yours QA team did something to investigate this issue? Maybe test lab or at-the-field research? Contacted Veeam? They have excellent QA team.
Now you have two customers (ex as for me) faced this issue and still nothing.
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements