× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

8 Days to Sync and now 24 hours to Boot

Derivative99
Aspirant

8 Days to Sync and now 24 hours to Boot

I have an NV+ that was reporting increasing SMART disk errors. It was up to 45 errors. The NV+ had four 1.5Tb Seagate drives. So, I got an identical replacement drive from Seagate and pulled out the failing drive (while the unit was still on). I replaced it with the drive I got from Seagate. I then got some emails from my NV+. One stated "Disk initialization successfully finished." and a second one stated "RAID sync started on volume C." I let it continue to sync for 8 days and never did an email saying it was complete. The disk light on the front of the NAS continued to flash rapidly. I don't remember exactly what the LCD displayed, but it flashed sync of 0% everyone once in a while, then it would disappear. I got tired of waiting for the resync.
So, two days ago I performed a shutdown by holding the power button on the front. The LCD said shutting down and eventually turned off the drives and disk lights. However, the LCD panel continued to say shutting down. I eventually just pulled the plug on the device to "get full power off". I then powered back on and it has said "Booting..." for about 24 hours now. The light of the disk I replaced is still flashing quickly and now the power button is "pulsing".
I read on line it can take many hours to resync the drive, but at 8 days, so I was assuming something went wrong. Now at 24 hours to boot I am thinking something else is still wrong.
Any suggestions on what I can do to get the device to boot and resync the drive?
Message 1 of 3
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: 8 Days to Sync and now 24 hours to Boot

sounds like there is still a failing disk.

I would power off unplug the unit, remove and label each drive and test them directly on a PC connected with sata with seatools.

Unfortuantely if you do have additional disk(s) failing, you may be out of luck. Since you already pulled one disk, the array is degraded and trying to rebuild the newly added disk.

It is risky, but if the rebuild/resync is still not working, it may be possible to remove the new disk and try to backup everything with the three original disks (in degraded mode). But if one or more of those 3 original disk sare failing too, you may end up losing all your data.

Hopefully you have some kind of recent backup in case the worst happens.
Message 2 of 3
Derivative99
Aspirant

Re: 8 Days to Sync and now 24 hours to Boot

So, I replaced the drive again (now on the third drive...original failed drive, replacement drive and now a second replacement drive) and I still have the same issue. The LCD says Booting..., the green LED of the replaced drive is slowing flashing (once per second) and the power button is pulsing blue.

Any other suggestions?

On another note, I do have a backup, however, I am discovering it is not easy to access. It is almost useless. How can I, easily, access the Linux formatted backup drive on a Mac? It seems like a lot of work to install emulation software such as VMWare or Parallels, then install a Linux OS, in order to access the backup drive from the NAS. Suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements