× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

8TB drives in pro 6?

ifixidevices
Luminary

8TB drives in pro 6?

I'd like to get two 8TB drives and shove them in my Pro 6 running OS6... any reason why I couldn't?

I can get two for $279 a piece from newegg business:

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/p ... 22-178-682

Just curious what your thoughts are (yes I'll tear them out of the enclosure and if I have any issues with them for warranty purposes I'd just throw them back into the enclosure and send them back to seagate for a replacement.
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: 8TB drives in pro 6?

I believe the drive is designed for archiving/cold storage - not 24x7 use. http://www.seagate.com/files/www-conten ... 1411us.pdf specs the workload as 180 TB /year.

If you try it, let us know how they hold up.
Message 2 of 9
CharlesR
Guide

ifixidevices wrote:
I can get two for $279 a piece from newegg business:

Keep in mind the warranty is via the external enclosure as the drive's serial number is assigned to it. So be careful opening it up (so you can reassemble it without them knowing :)) or you will be out of luck if the need arises.
Message 3 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

StephenB,

I will do so (just crossing my fingers they work in the enclosure, not sure why they wouldn't but who knows.) Right now I run ST4000DM001's in the unit and they only technically have a MTBF of like 2400 hours. On my oldest one I have over 10K hours on it without much of an issue. If they fail they at least have a warranty.

CharlesR,

I bought all 6 4TB drives I've got from external enclosures. I keep them in a safe place numbered so they match up with the drive should I need to send it in for warranty purposes. Have done this with numerous seagate and western digital drives (oddly enough you can buy external drives with the exact same specs for cheaper than the stand alone bare drive.)
Message 4 of 9
CharlesR
Guide

ifixidevices wrote:
Have done this with numerous seagate and western digital drives (oddly enough you can buy external drives with the exact same specs for cheaper than the stand alone bare drive.)

Of late some of the vendors have "crippled" their drives so they don't perform as expected when removed from the enclosure... they are catching up! I have read various reports some more reliable than others.
Message 5 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

I haven't heard of any crippling going on but I imagine for any external drive they shove the lowest grade drive in it possible.

I don't really mind what they state the drive can do... I always just push it to its limits and if it fails it fails...
Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The underlying tech in the 8 TB archival drives (SMR) is more vulnerable to vibration than other technologies. That might limit their application in a NAS.

I'm not sure why Seagate specified a work load (or if their warranty requires you to not exceed the workload ceiling of 180 TB/yr). Other datasheets I've looked at don't mention work loads.
Message 7 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

Well when the closest 8TB drive is in the $700 range and they are letting this one go for $279 you know not to expect the world. I might just go with some reds but they want so much money and they only have 6TB ones. I figured I'd go ahead of the curve.

We'll see once... I'm probably going to end up getting a pro 4 instead of a 6 and won't get to try my idea anyway. I'll just shove some 6TB drives in it and be done with it.
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

ifixidevices wrote:
Well when the closest 8TB drive is in the $700 range and they are letting this one go for $279 you know not to expect the world.
The internal drive is ST8000AS0002, so maybe keep a price watch on that.

I'm wasn't meaning to imply that you shouldn't give them a try, I was just following up on the potential downslde.

One option is to deploy them as jbod, and use them for fairly lightweight tasks (video streaming or perhaps backup).
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements