× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A Primer about Backup?

NASNoob11
Aspirant

A Primer about Backup?

Can I request that some expert please put together a primer on how to backup a ReadyNAS? I'd really love to backup my 3 ReadyNAS devices, but the current Frontview/Dashboard logic just drives me to tears still. My 'backup' attempts end in failure. I accept that this fault is mine. I've read this forum since my initial Duo-v1 in ~2008. I managed to back the Duo up once back in 07/13. I think it was blind, dumn luck. Never again. I've read threads about "push vs. pull." Fine. What is the difference? The instructions in the Netgear HDW and SW manuals drive me crazy. Netgear seems to reverse the terms 'source' and 'destination.' More confusion. To me, 'source' is where the files are I which to back up. The 'destination' is where I wish the contents to get copied/moved to. Am I wrong?

BTW, I just got a Synology 213J. Guess what? The folks on the Synology Forums are just as irritated about Synology EOLing there HDW magically via stopping f/w updates. :evil:
I feel as comfortable there as I do here 😄
I suspect the same applies to QNAP, Thecus, Buffalo and others.
I will state that the Synology GUI/OS (DSM 4.x) is to die for. Netgear! Please, oh please, license this tech and replace both Frontview and Dashboard with it. It is probablly written in linux I suspect.
OK. I am done begging. :slap:
I will run all my NAS 24/7 all the way to failure. I shut them down only for electrical storms. Yes, they all run via a UPS.
Message 1 of 26
StephenB
Guru

source: where the files are that you want to back up
destination: the place you you want to back them up to
So that is what you think (and Netgear is not reversing them).

push: the backup job is running on the sourcing machine (writing to a remote destination) e.g., the source computer/NAS pushes the files out to the remote destination.
pull: means the backup job is running on the destination machine (reading from a remote source) e.g., the destination computer/NAS pulls the files in from the remote source.

Can you give us some particular backup that you'd like to set up? (backing up to to a USB drive connected to the NAS, backing up to/from another NAS, backing up to/from a Windows PC,...)
Message 2 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
Thank you. OK. We agree on source/destination.

You use the term "remote destination." Should I define 'remote' as anywhere outside the physical confines of a given NAS? e.g. another NAS on my home LAN (same sub-net), an external USB drive connected to the source NAS, another NAS external to my private home LAN, like across town to another NAS, on the internet somewhere else to another NAS? :oops:

So far, I am just trying to backup one NAS to another NAS on the same sub-net of my private home LAN. I have 4 NAS (nasa, nasb, nasc, nasd). Nasc is my oldest. It is a Duo-v1, and it contains all my stuff.
I was lucky enough to get nasc to backup once to nasa (ultra2+) back on 07JUL13. The backup was everything; as best I can view. I believe the backup was via NFS. Fine. I would really like to repeat this task.

Next frustration: I suppose that the files currently on nasa have set an 'epoch.' Fine. I sense that NAS logic wishes to maintain 'oldest forward mostly.' Fine. I rarely maintain my very oldest files. This depends on file type and use. But, please let's hold this topic for future discussion. I just wish to backup nasc (Duo1) to nasb (ultra2) for the moment.
Message 3 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Yes, remote includes another device on your home lan.

To backup a shared folder (call it primary) on nasc to shared folder (call it pbackup) on nasb with NFS:

(a) enable NFS for share primary on nasc.
(b) create backup job on nasb (example of a pull backup)
"Step 1" settings are
remote:NFS Server host: nasc
path: primary
login: admin
password: admin pass for nasc

step 2 settings:
share: pbackup

step 3 settings:
none needed to manual backup

step 4 settings:
Schedule full backup "first time"
on backup completion, send "errors only".

press apply.
(c) Find the newly saved backup job on backup->backup jobs, and press "Go".

You can of course back up every share on nasc using this method - it is what I do (since I am backing up to multiple NAS). Though I use rsync, not NFS.

Though you can also save the full volume "c" of NASC to NASB as well. Let's call the NASB share "nasc-backup"

(a) create nasc-backup on NASB, enabling it for NFS

(b create backup job on NASC (example of a push backup)
step 1 settings:
Volume: c

step 2 settings:
remote: NFS Server Host: NASB
path: nasc-backup
password: admin pass for nasb.

step 3 settings:
none needed for manual backup

step 4 settings:

press apply.
(c) Find the newly saved backup job on backup->backup jobs, and press "Go".
Message 4 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
Thank you for your concise share. I have printed it off and will attempt one or both processes this after (12/26). Sorry, was offline the past 2 days with family duties! BTW, I do hope you and your had a very Merry Christmas!
I do feel silly to still be so confused about using the ReadyNAS backup logic, but it is what it is. I will figure it out one day. 😄

{2027EST) Thank you for MOD'g this thread back to where I should have started! My bad! And, no. I have not yet started your logic. Soon, I hope.
I have had a houseful of folk all day to deal with.............. 😞
Do so appreciate your patience. :oops:
Message 5 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
OK. I have tried both of your routines. Neither one worked. I accept total failure to use/understand Frontview 'backup' logic.
Created a new 'share' on nasb 'NAS_backup.'
Created same share on nasa, nasc, and nasd.
Gave this new share NFS, CIFS, RSYNC ability.
I tried 'pull logic' to nasb from nasc of the root (c:) never got to finish and [apply]. No go.
Then, I went to nasc and tried to push 'root' (c:) from nasc to nasb. Never got to finish
and [apply]. No go.

Do you use the same UName and PW for all your NAS? I do not. Each of my NAS are unique network devices on my LAN. I truly do not
wish to move them all off to their own new sub-net using admin/same PW credentials. (Yes, really silly)
That would create all manner of new, higher-level, troubles.

So, sadly, I have to say that the Frontview 'Backup' logic is NOT user friendly. Period. I will gladly admit that I must be quite dense. I will keep dicking with
the logic until I again get lucky and get the logic to work (which it did one time). For now, let's just agree that I am very frustrated. :oops:

I do so wish to thank you for your kind shares. I just do not get it..........yet.
Message 6 of 26
StephenB
Guru

All my NAS are connected to my main switch, they are not on a separate subnet (and there is no reason to do that).

I use the same admin password on all the NAS, just to keep it simpler for me. Though the examples above didn't do that.

Can you cut/paste your full settings (leaving out passwords)? I don't really understand what you mean by "nasc of the root (c:)"
Message 7 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
I'd be happy to 'cut/paste' whatever to you. I just don't know what you mean by 'full settings.' How do I display what you'd like to see?
Thanks for the idea of same pw on each NAS. That would make uname/pw creds much easier. This I will implement now. All 4 of my NAS are
connected to the same GS116 switch (ports 07, 09, 11, and 13). The ports sorta line up to the assigned ip addy's of the NAS's. Yes, I can be
quite anal with this network stuff. :wink:
Message 8 of 26
StephenB
Guru

NASNoob wrote:
StephenB,
I'd be happy to 'cut/paste' whatever to you. I just don't know what you mean by 'full settings.' How do I display what you'd like to see? ...
Something like this:

STEP 1
Remote: Rsync Server
HOST: PRO
Path: Photos
Login: <blank>
Password <blank>

STEP 2
Share: Photos
Host: <blank>
Path: <blank>
Login: <blank>
Password <blank>
Message 9 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
I've read your share 3 times now. The text you shared appears to be a cut/paste example. Fine. I can send this also the next time I try to do a NAS-2-NAS backup.This remains frustrating.

I notice that in the 'PATH' statement you seem to enter a 'Share' title. Is this true?

Does this indicate to me that I would need to create a separate backup job for each 'Share' on a given Source NAS?
Message 10 of 26
StephenB
Guru

I do a separate backup job for each share. Note I am backing up to several smaller NAS.

You can backup up the whole NAS in a single backup job also. Select "Volume: c" as the source and "Remote: Rsync Server" as the destination. (That requires running the backup job on the NAS you are backing up).
Message 11 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StepnenB
Thanks. Yes I understand your backup plan. I do not do this. I backup my clients to my 'nasc' (a DUO-v1) using the default Microsoft 'Backup' program. This works perfectly to get the clients data to the NAS.
Now I am trying to backup the contents of my 'nasc' to another NAS. I'll get it eventually. I will try your suggestion this afternoon after I do some 'stupid human' repairs to my other NAS. I tried to change the admin pw on all my nas's to be the same. They were each unique before. 'Stupid Human' forgot to write down the new pw! :slap:
I'm now reading the docs to print out the Boot Menu process so I can do OS re-instal boot to change the pw back to default. Yes, I am having too much fun! :lol:
Message 12 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
I never got to try your backup advice. But, I will remember it. My Duo pulled a trick on me. I asked it to do an OS reload boot. I did this to reset a forgotten 'admin' pw. Seemed logical based on my docs and understanding. The Duo did a Factory Reset instead. The Duo is now blank. Yes, I am disappointed. The Duo instructions I found sketchy, but I followed them. Fine. Now I can use the Duo as a pure backup target ONLY.

'NasA' still contains files from 07-31-13. I think I can bring 'NasA' back online and move forward.
I'm sorry to be so 'backup' stupid. Perhaps a 'backup primer' could help. Backup is really tough. I can wait. :oops:
Message 13 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephanB,
I am still trying. I did manage to admin my 4 boxes to have the Creds (uname and pw). Yes, I did loose my data on 'cnas' (new ID). I've tried to use your logic for copying 'volume c:' from 'anas' to 'cnas.' But, I now realize that 'anas' uses RAIDiator 4.2.25. 'cnas' uses RAIDiator 4.1.13. I am beginning to wonder why the past 3 backup attempts have failed. :oops:
My stack:
anas: ReadyNas Ultra2+, 4.2.25 (contains backup of 07-31-13 from cnas)
bnas: ReadyNas Ultra 2, 4.2.25 (blank)
cnas: ReadyNas DUO-v1, 4.1.13 (now blank)
dnas: Synology DS-213j, DSM4.3 (blank)
note: NO, I do not know whether ReadyNas and Synology can/will share files or even communicate with each other yet via NFS or Rsync. I am stilling reading both UM's at this point. More L8R. I am going with NFS is NFS, and, Rsync is Rsync. 😄

I suspect that I may have to do this 'recovery' backup at a specific 'Share' level? Am I correct?

When I reset the Admin CREDS (hostname, uname, pw), do these changes gravitate down throughout the specific Nas via the Linux logic? I ask because I seem to get Cred windows when I try to open 'Shares' via Windows Net Neighborhood (WinXP). I use the Admin CREDs, but NOGO! Confusing to be sure. I do NOT PW-protect any of my Nas 'Shares' separately. Never have; never plan to start!

Next, I have created backup 'Shares' on 'bnas' (Ultra2) for each nas (e.g. anasbackup, bnasbackup. cnasbackup, dnasbackup). Notice I use lower-case only. I suspect that these 'values' are used for the Destination Path fill-in box? Do I precede the path-name value with a forward slash (/)?
Message 14 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Can you post your settings, similar to what I did above?
Message 15 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
Yes, was:
Step 1:
Remote: Rsync Server
Source: volume c: (anas [is 10.0.0.17])
Host: anas
Path: blank (assumed volume c:)
Login: <admin>
Password <current pw>

STEP 2
Share: anasbackup (new Share on bnas)
Host: <10.0.0.19> (bnas)
Path: anasbackup (new share)--no fwd slash(/)
Login: <admin>
Password <current pw>
*do full backup /first time/ via rsync
Apply
Go to Backup Jobs.
Select this backup job(001). Click GO. No-Go 3 in a row! Failed.
now I'm confused again. Got to copy your sends better!

Hope this helps!
Message 16 of 26
StephenB
Guru

The blank path does not "assume volume c:".

To do what you are trying to do (back up the full volume in one backup job), you will need to run the backup job on anas - specifying "Volume c:" as the source.

For the destination, select Remote: Rsync Server, with bnas as the host, and anasbackup as the path.
Message 17 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
To do what you are trying to do (back up the full volume in one backup job), you will need to run the backup job on anas - specifying "Volume c:" as the source.
For the destination, select Remote: Rsync Server, with bnas as the host, and anasbackup as the path.

StephenB,
Understand the blank 'path' statement. Fine, but both the Source choice and the Path choice of the SOURCE are grayed out when I select 'volume c:' in the left-side list.
I AM trying to initiate this backup job on/from 'anas' (the source) TO 'bnas' (the destination). Believe this is a PUSH type job.
I will go back and try again. :oops:
Message 18 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Can you post your settings, similar to what I did above?

StephenB,
Happy to. Do you mean like your example of 04JAN14 'Step1/Step2?'
Fine, except my Frontview displays Source/Destination, so I interpret your share as:
Step1 (Source)
Step2 (Destination)
Is this appropriate?
At the moment, whatever I select in STEP1 and/or STEP2, when I 'test connection' I get an error 'can not connect to 10.0.0.19' (bnas). That was my Destination. ODD?
anas 10.0.0.17 (private)
bnas 10.0.0.19 (private)
cnas 10.0..0.21 (private)
dnas 10.0.0.23 (private)
AND, all 4 nas are connected to the same gs116NA switch which connects to my netgear router (wnr3500L-v2). And, I can view all 4 nas' in my NetNeighborhood, along with their Shares from my 'main' PC client (ofc).
I do not read Linux.
I do not write Linux.
I have never enabled SSH access on any of my nas. Can not speak the lingo!
Yes, I know my nas 'runs' on some form of Linux in a traditional Microsoft/Industrial ethernet LAN.
All Nas Shares are set to:
Read/Write
Host allowed access: anas,bnas,cnas,dnas,gam.gzr,ofc,tst
I use the above choices for; CIFS, NFS, and RSYNC. Should I allow same for HTTP/HTTPS?
I know I am going 'Off Topic', but frustration about NO ReadyNas Backup working is making me a bit crazy. Sorry. :oops:
I do so appreciate your help these past weeks/months.
Message 19 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:

StephenB,
OK. "The blank path does NOT assume volume c:."
Job is initiated on 'anas.' Believed to be a 'push' backup.
The PATH box is greyed-out. Can not enter anything. NEXT? :?
Message 20 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You set volume C as the source? If so, there is no path or logon needed on the source.

That is,

step 1 settings:
remote: volume c: Host:
path:
login:
password:

step 2 settings:
remote: Remote: Rsync Server Host: bnas
path: anasbackup
password: admin pass for bnas.

step 3 settings:

step 4 settings:
Message 21 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You set volume C as the source? If so, there is no path or logon needed on the source.

That is,

step 1 settings:
remote: volume c: Host:
path:
login:
password:

step 2 settings:

step 3 settings:

step 4 settings:

Yes, I chose 'volume c:' from the left menu. I wish to do 'everything' on 'anas' to 'bnas.' Yes, I know that there is a folder/directory inside a 'Share' on /anas/ that truly is my 07JUL2013 'magic' backup of my old 'nasc.' This is really what I wish to move to /bnas/. Once I get this to happen, I plan to do a Factory Reset to /anas/ and build new Shares:
Data
Backup (/Clients /anasbackup /bnasbackup /cnasbackup /dnasbackup)
Media (even though I do not do any streaming tech!)
All above are redundant to /bnas/. The /Clients folder/directory is for my 3 client PCs to do their monthly backups using the XP (soon to be Win7pro) backup program; and SyncToy v2.1 on client /ofc for /my documents and /Thunderbird email.

I have now moved all 'nas' operations to my '1BR' nas/router room. I am now 1 hop closer to the internet. I do no think being 'in the room' when I launch a manual backup job has any effect, but after 4 yrs of trying to get my nas' to backup and seeing 'failed' or 'can not connect to .....', I am now back to starting all over again, because I must have missed something really important. I just do not know; hence my profound frustration with Readynas Backup logic as I read it and try to use it badly.

I do appreciate your continued shares. I've tried your suggestions. All failed even when I understood what you are sharing. I do not think I am dense, but I am beginning to wonder about this. I am 65, moving to 66. :oops:
Maybe 'nas' is not an old man's game. I just do not know any more....................
Message 22 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Did you use the settings I provided, or something else?
Message 23 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Did you use the settings I provided, or something else?

StephenB,
Sorry for the late reply. I've spent today trying to wrestle an old PC (this one, built in 2008) into shape so I can continue a dialog with you. Even when disabled in bios, this PC continues to allow the onboard NIC to install/run even post installation of an Intel GT1000 card. Suspect 'Higs Bosons' in the m/b logic. This PC was retired, but brought back when my server's RAID system took another dump (#5). Yes, the server is also retired. To costly ATM to source U160 SCSI emc hard drives, and, the old Intel m/b does not support SATA. So, I've run another pair of devices to failure!

To your question, I WILL use your settings when/if I can get back to my backup troubles; I promise! My ISP tech told me yesterday that my current (4 month old) router is a 'blockage' to the internet. I've ordered a pair of new N750 routers (Netgear). I remain undaunted. I will learn the Readynas backup logic, or, I will have to admit that 'NAS' is just too complicated for me to deal with. I will get back to you within 48 hours after my home LAN settles down.
Message 24 of 26
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
OK. I did try to follow your metrics. They did not work. 'anas' could not speak to 'bnas', at first. Once I told 'bnas' what its' IP addy truly was, I tried again. Readynas seems to rush off to my router and get a new ip addy. Unless, I have a fire, I do NOT care for this, I believe Netgear/Frontview behavior. It is what I just perceived. I believe I may be back to nominal.
anas can NOT connect to bnas via rsync. Odd. All shares are activated for rsync.
Worst case, 'Frontview' now will NOT give me the 'APPLY' button in black to activate your logic here. Yes, I can create the backup job, but I can NOT APPLY it! So, I can NOT try to run it. The OS/firmware is 4.2.25.
My choices were:
step 1 settings:
remote: volume c: Host: (anas)
path:
login:
password:

step 2 settings:

step 3 settings:

step 4 settings:

Since I could NOT connect, I'll back up (no pun intended) and try to deal with local network trouble.
Just do not get this Readynas Backup business at all.
I used to really like 'Frontview.' Now I am not so sure. Let' s just say that I may NOT be nas ready.
Is that fair? :oops:
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements