× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ACCESS_DENIED error in rSynch backup job going against Windows share?

PeteCress
Apprentice

ACCESS_DENIED error in rSynch backup job going against Windows share?

Backup Job Name: Giga3_D
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: cifs-ab
Backup Source: [remote:cifs-ab]///Giga3/D
Backup Destination: [Giga3_D]/
Backup Start Time: Mon Jun 12 2017 0:05:59
Backup Finish Time: Mon Jun 12 2017 0:58:44
Backup Status: Fail: authentication error during copy.

NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \System Volume Information\*

I have not been able to find an rSynch server that I trust to run under Windows 7, so I have to go the remote: Windows(Archive Bit) route, which does not allow for ignoring specified files/folders.

But after the backup has run/falied, if I run a Windows-based compare utility against source and target, it comes up with only the diffs I would expect (a few files that are beging changed moment-to-moment 24-7).

Is there a way around this?   I can live with it as-is, but it would be nice to get an error notification only when somelthing is wrong that affects the quality of the results. .... An rSynch server plus doping out what the problem file/folder is would seem to be the no-brainer....

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ACCESS_DENIED error in rSynch backup job going against Windows share?

It looks like the windows drive is shared - the problem is that some information on the drive is protected (system volume information and the recycling bin).

The simplest solution is to share a folder on the drive, not the full drive.

You could also try logging into the PC with the same credentials the NAS is using, and make sure that the file explorer settings are set to hide "hidden" files and system files.

FWIW, I use Acronis running on the PC for this (still backing up to the NAS).  That gives me more options on what is backed up and versioning.  Also, PC backup tools can boot the PC if that is needed.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements