× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AD + FTP separate Security ReadyNas 314

Zero_G_
Aspirant

AD + FTP separate Security ReadyNas 314

Hey

I am using my ReadyNAS connected to an Active Directory.

For external users, I want them to be able to download some files via FTP. 

But they should use Credentials to connect to the FTP.

How can I manage this? - Is it possible to handle the credentials via User/Password, without to hand out my Domain Name?

THX a lot - Have a nice day

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AD + FTP separate Security ReadyNas 314

Once the AD is integrated on the NAS, authentications will be based on the Domain users. I think the best way is to create FTP users/group on the domain for the external users.

Local user database on the NAS is unusable as long as it is integrated on the AD. You cannot create users as well.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Zero_G_

If I understand you correctly, you would like to have the AD users authenticate on the FTP.

If your NAS is integrated with the AD then the authentication will be against the AD user/password.

However, if your AD user is in a primary group which name contains a space e.g "Domain Users" you may want to reconsider renaming since you might get issues with it because some FTP clients cannot handle this. Issues might be seen after logging in.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I think the question is whether he can set up local accounts in the NAS for his non-enterprise FTP users, but still use AD authentication for his enterprise users. 

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Once the AD is integrated on the NAS, authentications will be based on the Domain users. I think the best way is to create FTP users/group on the domain for the external users.

Local user database on the NAS is unusable as long as it is integrated on the AD. You cannot create users as well.

Regards

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

I think the best way is to create FTP users/group on the domain for the external users.

Or just set up an FTP server on another device, mounting the NAS data volume (or specific shares) on that server.  That would also let him easily deny FTP access to enterprise users, while maintaining SMB.

Message 5 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Zero_G_

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 7
Zero_G_
Aspirant

Hey

I am really sorry for my late reply!

I will try with external FTP and mounting. - I think,  this will be the best solution for this.

THX a lot for your time!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements