× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP Out Of Date In OS X Lion

AAMacDaddy
Aspirant

AFP Out Of Date In OS X Lion

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ with RAIDiator 4.1.7 [1.00a043] installed. Using the developer preview of OS X Lion, I get this message when trying to connect.

"The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Is there some way to upgrade AFP?
Message 1 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS uses the open source project Netatalk to provide AFP. See http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/

Currently in 4.1.7, Netatalk 2.1.3 is used. Hopefully the Netatalk developers will test the developer preview of OS X Lion and update the Netatalk project to use a version of afp compatible with Mac OS X Lion.

Then it'd be up to NetGear to decide whether to do the necessary backporting to support it on the Sparc platform and include it in a future firmware update.

Please bear in mind that NetGear only supports stable OSes, not beta/developer preview versions so tech support won't be able to help you with problems you encounter using it.

If AFP can't be updated to a version supported by Mac OS X Lion then I guess you'd need to use CIFS or NFS instead.
Message 2 of 162
AAMacDaddy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand the not supporting unreleased OS's. It could technically be that when it is released it will support old versions of AFP. But I figured it was good to share some initial findings.

I think I have had my ReadyNAS for 2 maybe 3 years. To bad, it is looking that it may be unusable for me since I rely on the AFP. Technically I can access files via SMB, but AFP was serving a purpose. Oh well, may I'll just sell it and put some drives in the Mac Pro 😕
Message 3 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think Apple would be encouraging the move to using the newer versions of AFP. It's easier not to support outdated versions of AFP.

I don't know if newer versions of Netatalk are compatible with Mac OS X Lion or not. I'm not part of the Apple developer program so I can't test Mac OS X Lion.

Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. Duo, NV, NV+) use firmware that has evolved from the original Sparc firmware that shipped on the first Sparc units released over 6 years ago. It has become necessary to backport things such as Netatalk. There is also the CPU to consider, Sparc ReadyNAS use a slow CPU, so the CPU needs of a new version of Netatalk would also need to be considered (I don't know if they've increased or not, but NetGear would find out when they do testing). Newer ReadyNAS (e.g. NVX, Ultra, Pro) use Intel processors and different firmware. These have much faster CPUs and are on the x86 platform. These would be far less likely to have issues with a Netatalk backport and could see a newer version of Netatalk earlier.

If experiences with Snow Leopard are anything to go by, it's best not to be an early adopter of a new Mac OS X major update as it may break functionality on the ReadyNAS. A firmware update with a newer version of Netatalk should help resolve issues and restore broken functionality. Minor OS updates from Apple can also help.
Message 4 of 162
wmalloc
Aspirant

The issue is with authentication as outlined here: http://trick77.com/2011/02/25/afp-broken-linux-based-nas-mac-os-x-lion-10-7/. Netgear has to update to the latest version of netatalk.
Message 5 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just had a look at the GPL source code (http://www.readynas.com/gpl) for 4.2.15 for x86 ReadyNAS and it includes the necessary dhx2 user authentication module as does the GPL source code for 4.1.7 for Sparc. So I guess the modules are available, it could simply be a matter of NetGear installing them and configuring them properly if they haven't already.

So sounds like the situation may not be as bad as I thought it could be and hopefully it's a relatively easy thing to fix.
Message 6 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just had a look around and I've determined that the dhx2 user authentication module is installed on x86 ReadyNAS in 4.2.15 but not on Sparc ReadyNAS in 4.1.7. Not sure why NetGear left it out. It could've been for performance reasons due to the slow Sparc CPU and not wanting to introduce additional overhead.

If you want to check for yourself take a look at the following:

Sparc-NAS:~# ls /usr/lib/netatalk
uams_clrtxt.so uams_dhx_pam.so uams_dhx_passwd.so uams_dhx.so uams_guest.so uams_pam.so uams_passwd.so

and

x86-NAS:~# ls /usr/lib/netatalk
uams_clrtxt.so uams_dhx2_pam.so uams_dhx2_passwd.so uams_dhx2.so uams_dhx_pam.so uams_dhx_passwd.so uams_dhx.so uams_guest.so uams_pam.so uams_passwd.so uams_randnum.so

So if anyone has a x86 ReadyNAS and access to the Mac OS X Lion developer preview they should be able to verify that AFP works fine currently on x86 ReadyNAS with Mac OS X Lion.
Message 7 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

mdgm wrote:
So if anyone has a x86 ReadyNAS and access to the Mac OS X Lion developer preview they should be able to verify that AFP works fine currently on x86 ReadyNAS with Mac OS X Lion.

Oops. Yep, should work because it is started from an alternate startup script 😉 If you take a look at the process list, AFPd will be there with the dhx2 option enabled.

-Stefan
Message 8 of 162
AAMacDaddy
Aspirant

I can confirm that I do not have the dhx2. Are you all saying that it would be possible to upload a module to get it working? That would be pretty cool.

nas:~# ls /usr/lib/netatalk/
uams_clrtxt.so uams_dhx_pam.so uams_dhx_passwd.so uams_dhx.so uams_guest.so uams_pam.so uams_passwd.so
Message 9 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Working on that right now 😉 Just need to confirm it works with Lion.

-Stefan
Message 10 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Ah, while I'm waiting for Lion to finish installing ... could some of you with Duo/NV(+) tell me what your output for
ls -al /usr/lib/libgc*

is? Thank's a lot!

-Stefan
Message 11 of 162
AAMacDaddy
Aspirant

@WhoCares? This is what I get. BTW, as someone whom writes tons of OSS, it is nice to have someone else work on a problem that affects me. TIA!

nas:~# ls -al /usr/lib | grep libgc
nas:~#
Message 12 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Thanks. This looks like it's going to be a bit more work than just providing the modules needed...

-Stefan
Message 13 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Ok, here we go:

LionAFPd_2.1.3-rns-0.1.2.bin

Wfm,ymmv. Use at your own risk 😉 After installation make sure to manually restart the AFP service using Frontview: "Services" -> "Protocols". Just disable and when finished re-enable. That's it. Same goes for de-installation of the add-on.

-Stefan
Message 14 of 162
AAMacDaddy
Aspirant

Confirmed working in Lion and Leopard. I tried to donate, but it said that you did not take US dollars as a currency option.
Message 15 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Uh, thanks for the info. Seems like PayPal created yet another option you have to set to enable international payments. Anyway, the donation stuff shouldn't have been in there in the first place, so I'm happy enough it works for you.

-Stefan
Message 16 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Ok, found the problem. It was actually a typo in the HTML code of the add-on that prevented PayPal from working. So again, thanks for the heads-up! Updated the add-on and the link to it.

-Stefan
Message 17 of 162
cyberia625
Aspirant

Thanks, WhoCares?, that seems to work when connecting to AFP shares. However, I'm still unable to use TimeMachine. Looking in the system.log file, it appears the 2.1.3 version of netatalk doesn't support server reply cache, which is now required by OS X Lion. I read somewhere that Netatalk 2.2 is supposed to support that feature. Unfortunately I haven't been able to compile Netatalk 2.2beta1 for the ReadyNAS due to the fact that the Debian Sarge release is just too old. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the Berkeley DB headers required for installation (libdb4.8-dev), and I have no other environment from which to build a binary. Anything you can do to help there?

Thanks!
Paul
Message 18 of 162
kteare
Aspirant

Any chance of getting this to work on an x86 ReadyNas Ultra 4? I tried to upload and got invalid image message before realizing this is for a Sparc based box.
Keith

WhoCares? wrote:
Ok, here we go:

LionAFPd_2.1.3-rns-0.1.2.bin

Wfm,ymmv. Use at your own risk 😉 After installation make sure to manually restart the AFP service using Frontview: "Services" -> "Protocols". Just disable and when finished
-enable. That's it. Same goes for de-installation of the add-on.

-Stefan
Message 19 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

kteare wrote:
Any chance of getting this to work on an x86 ReadyNas Ultra 4? I tried to upload and got invalid image message before realizing this is for a Sparc based box.

I could but it wouldn't make much sense for the Ultra should already have everything in place. Well, mine did, 'cause that's where I copied the working settings from 😉

-Stefan
Message 20 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

cyberia625 wrote:
Thanks, WhoCares?, that seems to work when connecting to AFP shares. However, I'm still unable to use TimeMachine. Looking in the system.log file, it appears the 2.1.3 version of netatalk doesn't support server reply cache, which is now required by OS X Lion. I read somewhere that Netatalk 2.2 is supposed to support that feature.(...) Anything you can do to help there?

I'll see what I can do.

-Stefan
Message 21 of 162
kteare
Aspirant

You're right. I do get AFP. But Time Machines complains about AFP not having the required support for backups. A pain for me as all my backups are on my ReadyNas.

WhoCares? wrote:
kteare wrote:

I could but it wouldn't make much sense for the Ultra should already have everything in place. Well, mine did, 'cause that's where I copied the working settings from 😉

-Stefan
Message 22 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

kteare that was also be the version of Netatalk. NetGear is highly unlikely to include Netatalk 2.2 in firmware whilst it's still in beta. Lion won't be out for months so NetGear would see no urgent need for a Netatalk update as they only support stable OSes not those in beta.

I guesss again your best hope would be for an add-on (e.g. by WhoCares?) to try in the meantime
Message 23 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

You did read my comment above, did you? 😉

-Stefan
Message 24 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops I should have not just skimmed it.

As for Netatalk 2.2 supporting server reply cache I'm not sure from reading the Release Notes whether it's in the current beta but according to netafp.com it will be in 2.2 and is due out soon: http://www.netafp.com/tn002-time-machin ... 9/#more-79
Message 25 of 162
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements