× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP Out Of Date In OS X Lion

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With Lion set for release in July, updated Netatalk is becoming more important. I expect that if there isn't a firmware update with updated Netatalk before Lion is released to the public, a lot of users will update to Lion and then wonder why AFP (on Sparc) and Time Machine (both Sparc and x86) doesn't work and open support cases. A lot of users don't read the forum, so wouldn't know about these issues before they update to Lion.

I know there isn't a Netatalk 2.2 production release yet, but hopefully there will be a production release of it in time for it to be added at least in a public beta firmware for x86.
Message 51 of 162
phaedrus1
Aspirant

There is a way to re-enable the old DHCAST128 support in Lion. This has worked for me in both DP3 and DP4. I claim no credit, I merely found the information here:

http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/o ... orkaround/

Essentially it involves changing a couple of hidden defaults as follows:

To turn on “DHCAST128″ support please do the following:

1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:
sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1
Now restart your computer.

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file

3) Launch Terminal again and do:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0″ “2-Way Randnum exchange”
sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences
Now restart your computer.

Note: To add a “DHCAST128″ to the disable list, use
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128″

I hope this is helpful. I don't have LionAFPd_2.1.3-rns-0.1.2.bin installed. I imagine Apple would regard this workaround as insecure.
Message 52 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Nice tip phaedrus! Sounds like a good temporary solution for Sparc users who are early adopters of Lion.

Some good news is that it seems Netatalk 2.2.0 has now been released! See http://www.netafp.com/downloads/

So I hope this makes it into the 4.2.18 public beta for x86 devices. I guess we'll have to wait and see what NetGear decides to do.
Message 53 of 162
haflinger
Aspirant

A version is planned for the DUO ?
Message 54 of 162
jk330ci
Aspirant

Im very new to these forums so hi. Im running the latest build of lion dev on my imac, and made the error of not checking full compatibility before installing. My problem is that all my itunes media and plex 1080p content is stored on the readynas NV+. Iv found that movies of 720p and above wont play smoothly (Cifs) due to the poor speeds i am experiencing. I have done all the above which allows me to connect as a guest only to AFP but not as a user. This is not allowing to point itunes through AFP and when i do it just hangs. Iv managed to use plex as a guest connection and from a 30 min 1080p movie clip it played fine. What im looking for is a solution to get this readynas NV+ to play nice with itunes and lion or im gonna have to sell. Im quite a novice when it comes to this but am competent enough to follow any instructions you guys can help me with. Please help, all i want is to get all this to work as i imagined and not feel like i have spend a load of money and getting no results.
Message 55 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome

Lion is an OS in beta. NetGear doesn't support betas of 3rd party OSes/software. One can expect that a major OS upgrade is quite likely to break things, so it's best not to upgrade straight away. If the Terminal hack didn't fix things for you then I guess you'd be best to wait and see if an update with DHX2 is added at some point.

You could perhaps try accessing the shares over NFS and see if the performance is fine using that.
Message 56 of 162
sjuul
Aspirant

Sure, OSX Lion is in Beta. Due to be released in July. So, six weeks from now, Netgear can no longer claim compatibility with AFP in general and TimeMachine specifically. It might be a wise thing to postpone upgrading to OSX Lion, but people who buy new macs do not have that option. Time for an afp update, Netgear!
Message 57 of 162
ivyvisors
Aspirant

One thing AFP will work with guest access and Mac os X 10.7. But if you will need to run the shell commands listed above to get authentication working.

The reason is due to 10.7 disabling support for DHCAST123 which Apple engineers believe to be insufficiently secure. Thankfully though it is possible to enable DHCAST128. Though TimeMachine still won't work.

As mentioned before, to get TimeMachine working, AFP 3.3 would need to be supported via the newer version of Netatalk.
Message 58 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NetGear can continue to claim compatibility with AFP and Time Machine. Lion has not been released yet and even after it's released next month, the ReadyNAS will remain compatible with with Mac OS X Leopard and Mac OS X Snow Leopard which for quite some time the vast majority of Mac users will still be using.

Sensible users who want to keep compatibility with their software and hardware will wait for software updates for their software and firmware updates for things like NAS units before updating to a major new OS. Then there'll also be the need for minor updates to Lion itself to iron out some remaining bugs. It'll still be some months from now before a user genuinely relying on their Mac for business work would want to upgrade (unless they work in IT) to Lion.

AFP should already be working with x86 ReadyNAS (NVX, Ultra, Pro) and Lion, but not with the Sparc ReadyNAS. Time Machine will require an update to Netatalk 2.2 for all ReadyNAS.

When you compare the version of Netatalk on ReadyNAS units with the versions on other NAS units, you can see that most of the competition is running terribly old versions of Netatalk.

I'm sure NetGear is well aware of the need for updated Netatalk. In particular, the Jedi chirpa, has lots of Apple products: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46836
Message 59 of 162
ivyvisors
Aspirant

I currently do all my TimeMachine backups via a drive attached to my Mac Mini (running mac os x 10.6.7 server.) So the issue with AFP on my ReadyNAS isn't a big issue, and authentication issues can be resolved by the shell commands that were listed earlier.

As I'm quite new to the ReadyNAS DUO (I bought it last night after some cursory investigation) to be honest I am quite happy with the device (Just copying over a lot of data right now.)

I might see if I can find a version of Debian Sarge for Sparc (I've got a couple of old sun boxes here.) And see if I can get a newer version of Netatalk happening. I just need to learn a little more about the hardware on the duo, it might be possible, might not be depending on the dependancies.

Lots of fun indeed.

~ivy
Message 60 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you're not using Time Machine then simply enabling DHX2 e.g. using WhoCares? add-on earlier would be all you need. Though his add-on does have a lot of debug code in it.
Message 61 of 162
ivyvisors
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
If you're not using Time Machine then simply enabling DHX2 e.g. using WhoCares? add-on earlier would be all you need. Though his add-on does have a lot of debug code in it.

Just to help out really 😃 as some people do use it for time machine.
Message 62 of 162
treaves
Aspirant

I'm using the plugin from WhoCares?, but every time I restart my Mac, I have to restart the AFP service. It's a real pain.
Message 63 of 162
ghostzart
Aspirant

Does anybody know what's the latest news (if any) on Netgear releasing an update with a working netatalk, or at least some estimate based on past experiences with how quickly they respond to things like this? Lion is already Golden Master now, and it looks likely that it's going to be released this upcoming week. I have a mixed network, so the patched binary that locks out previous versions of OSX is not a solution for me, and the thought of not being able to make Time Machine backups anymore (especially after a major OS upgrade) is disturbing. The ability to do TM backups over SMB/NFS seems to be gone as well (regardless of the protocol I used to access the share, it errors out telling me the drive doesn't support the AFP interface required by TM).
Message 64 of 162
glawrie
Aspirant

*** Bump *** 😉

Have similar situation. At least knowing what timeline is would help.
Message 65 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Usually is a little while after the major OS upgrade goes production, I think. NetGear doesn't support beta OSes (the GM is a Release Candidate, but still a beta). Being an early adopter of a major update does have it's drawbacks. I generally wait for at least a few point updates.
Message 66 of 162
glawrie
Aspirant

@mdgm - "I generally wait for at least a few point updates." - Sure. But such complacency is not much help to anyone buying a new Mac after July X...

Given the severity of the problem, and the proximity of the release of the final code, it is curious that there is nothing being said about this problem by the manufacturers who rely on Netatalk for a key selling point for their kit.
Message 67 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

I'm running the latest publicly available beta of NetAtalk on my Pro against the latest incarnation of Lion on my MBP and I have no issues whatsoever. Time Machine backups work reliably, access to all shares is no problem. So technically it shouldn't be a problem for Netgear to release an updated firmware for the ReadyNAS once Lion hits the shops. Having said that there's always the chance of last minute changes to the OS by Apple that may break the for the moment flawlessly working compatibility of NetAtalk. So it's no wonder Netgear doesn't promise anything or even goes into a full fledged marketing campaign for a feature that may still break.

-Stefan
Message 68 of 162
sphardy1
Apprentice

WhoCares? wrote:
it's no wonder Netgear doesn't promise anything or even goes into a full fledged marketing campaign for a feature that may still break.

It's an unfortunate truth: Say nothing about a given topic and your customers will invariably assume the worst, no matter your track record or any evidence to the contrary.

No evidence of Netgear doing anything is not evidence that Netgear is doing nothing
Message 69 of 162
gherndon
Aspirant

i'm just hoping that the fix comes to the sparc series (rocking an NV+ w/ 4 x 2TB Seagates) and happens simultaneously to the x86 based updates.
Message 70 of 162
treaves
Aspirant

WhoCares?, would you make that latest code available as a .bin? The one you made available at http://whocares.de/rpro/LionAFPd_2.1.3-rns-0.1.2.bin is really, really bad, which is fine for a first go, but,...
Message 71 of 162
WiteWulf
Aspirant

Sorry I have nothing more constructive to add than a "me too" as a dev now running Lion GM and now unable to Time Machine to my Duo. I wrote a little script that rsync'd my backup to an off-site host each night from the Duo so I'd really like to keep things running on there rather than hanging another disk off my Mac Mini (which has no redundant disks) for backing up to.
Message 72 of 162
sphardy1
Apprentice

Message 73 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

Yup, that's the truth almost noone wants to hear. There is no such thing as "free software" as well as there is no "free beer". At the end of the day someone has to pay for either. And yes, well done, Netgear.

-Stefan
Message 74 of 162
ghostzart
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Usually is a little while after the major OS upgrade goes production, I think. NetGear doesn't support beta OSes (the GM is a Release Candidate, but still a beta). Being an early adopter of a major update does have it's drawbacks. I generally wait for at least a few point updates.

As a consumer, that's probably a very wise attitude to take--wait for the dust to settle and adopt when all the kinks are worked out. But as someone who has to ensure that his projects work in developer seeds of OSX and with versions of Xcode that are only available in said developer seeds, it's not always an option. And not being able to use Time Machine backups stings quite a bit. I don't have any unreasonable expectations about Netgear pushing software updates before they're needed, mind you. But I would find it hard to believe that they aren't testing all their products against Lion developer previews, Windows alphas, et cetera. That's one of the main reasons why OS vendors even offer pre-releases to the public, after all. I was merely wondering if, since the last post before mine, anyone had heard any news, rumors, or gossip about when Netgear might be adding Lion compatibility. It's not uncommon for marketing departments to announce this sort of thing in advance, developers to let something slip in their private blog, etc.
Message 75 of 162
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements