× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP Out Of Date In OS X Lion

flamesong1
Aspirant

I'm not holding my breath. There is a modest multitude of DGND3300v2 router users who have been waiting for a bug ridden firmware which was released in March to be fixed.

Suddenly finding myself without Time Machine makes me feel particularly vulnerable - especially as the only way back to Snow Leopard without erasing and installing is via a Time Machine restore.
Message 76 of 162
buzzy
Aspirant

I’ve just confirmed that AFP authentication isn’t working with the GM of Lion. 😞
Message 77 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

buzzy wrote:
I’ve just confirmed that AFP authentication isn’t working with the GM of Lion. 😞

And where's the news? 😉

-Stefan
Message 78 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sphardy wrote:
http://www.netafp.com/open-letter-to-the-netatalk-community-501/

Well Done Netgear

I agree. I'm a Mac user and the AFP and Time Machine support attracted me to purchasing the product. It's great to see they really care about Mac users and have the best Mac support in the NAS market.
Message 79 of 162
ptaylor874
Tutor

Whocares? you said:

I'm running the latest publicly available beta of NetAtalk on my Pro against the latest incarnation of Lion on my MBP and I have no issues whatsoever.

Could you make that available as an add-on?
Message 80 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

I think I could but considering that Lion is due to be out in less than a week and since I'm suspecting that Netgear will release an updated firmware shortly after that, I don't see a pressing reason for doing so. That's especially true because being a sponsor gives Netgear access to code that is newer than the code base I'm using and thus may well have fewer bugs (see http://www.netafp.com/pricing/). My major reason for building this version was to confirm that it actually will work, using my own data and on my own risk. So for the moment I'd rather wait for Netgear to release a new firmware than risking your data's safety by providing an add-on of questionable production readiness.

-Stefan
Message 81 of 162
ptaylor874
Tutor

Ok - That's fair.. The best news is that it should be easy for Netgear to roll out an update with this minor change in it...
Message 82 of 162
jocala1
Aspirant

Isn't netatalk licensed under the GPL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netatalk
Message 83 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

The versions _you can get_ from their site are licensed under the GPL, that's right. But that doesn't mean _all_ versions are. Also I doubt that Wikipedia has the authority in that matter 😉

-Stefan
Message 84 of 162
jocala1
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
The versions _you can get_ from their site are licensed under the GPL, that's right. But that doesn't mean _all_ versions are.

Yes it does. You can't fork GPL software, then distribute the fork as closed-source. If they distribute binaries, anyone to whom they distribute is legally entitled to a copy of source. They can freely charge for their distribution costs, only offer source on cd, etc. But they must offer source.

Furthermore, once a "licensee" obtains a copy of source, they can legally redistribute it as well.

Bottom line, does a compile of 2.2-beta4 using the proper toolchain fix things for ReadyNAS Duo users?
Message 85 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

jocala wrote:
Yes it does. You can't fork GPL software, then distribute the fork as closed-source.

So what exactly is your point? They didn't fork their own code, they just put it under a new license. Which they can do anytime they please and which has happened with other (formerly) open source projects, too.

jocala wrote:
If they distribute binaries, anyone to whom they distribute is legally entitled to a copy of source.

Wrong, see above.

jocala wrote:
They can freely charge for their distribution costs, only offer source on cd, etc. But they must offer source.

Wrong again, see above.

jocala wrote:
Furthermore, once a "licensee" obtains a copy of source, they can legally redistribute it as well.

Again: wrong. See above.

jocala wrote:
Bottom line, does a compile of 2.2-beta4 using the proper toolchain fix things for ReadyNAS Duo users?

Depends on the things I'd say.

-Stefan
Message 86 of 162
jocala1
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
jocala wrote:
Yes it does. You can't fork GPL software, then distribute the fork as closed-source.

So what exactly is your point? They didn't fork their own code, they just put it under a new license. Which they can do anytime they please and which has happened with other (formerly) open source projects, too.

jocala wrote:
If they distribute binaries, anyone to whom they distribute is legally entitled to a copy of source.

Wrong, see above.

jocala wrote:
They can freely charge for their distribution costs, only offer source on cd, etc. But they must offer source.

Wrong again, see above.

jocala wrote:

Again: wrong. See above.

jocala wrote:

Depends on the things I'd say.

-Stefan

Have it your way. My only interest here is seeing if I can salvage my Duo for TM backups under Lion w/o having to spring for a hardware upgrade.

---
Eppur si muove - But it does move... (Galileo)
Message 87 of 162
nerfffy
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
Have it your way. My only interest here is seeing if I can salvage my Duo for TM backups under Lion w/o having to spring for a hardware upgrade.

I also am in the same boat as you with a duo and a desire to use it with lion for time machine. I only just bought the duo (it is still being sold widely in Australia) so this is quite a pain. I regret not reading into this before I bought it, i would have gone for a more expensive x86 based product from netgear instead. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Message 88 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The latest firmware for x86 ReadyNAS and the latest firmware for Sparc ReadyNAS both don't support Time Machine backups on Mac OS X Lion. I would suggest keeping an eye on the Public beta forums.

The Duo and NV+ are still in production. We'll have to wait and see if NetGear updates Netatalk on Sparc ReadyNAS. I would think they would want to if it is possible.
Message 89 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

mdgm wrote:
The Duo and NV+ are still in production. We'll have to wait and see if NetGear updates Netatalk on Sparc ReadyNAS. I would think they would want to if it is possible.

As far as I know Netgear will update both lines, Intel and Sparc. But nobody cared to ask that question 😉

-Stefan
Message 90 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

jocala wrote:
Have it your way.

I wouldn't know what "my way" should be - you started that free or not free discussion 😉

jocala wrote:
My only interest here is seeing if I can salvage my Duo for TM backups under Lion w/o having to spring for a hardware upgrade.

Well, my Macs running Lion are using time machine volumes on my Duo and on my Pro without problems. Ymmv.

-Stefan
Message 91 of 162
WiteWulf
Aspirant

I've pressed Yodah as to whether or not the sparc boxen will continue to receive updates in the past (particularly wrt IPv6 support as my Duo is the only machine on my network without it) and he's been diplomatically vague, imho.
Message 92 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

WiteWulf wrote:
I've pressed Yodah as to whether or not the sparc boxen will continue to receive updates in the past (particularly wrt IPv6 support as my Duo is the only machine on my network without it) and he's been diplomatically vague, imho.

As far as I know there will be no support for IPv6 on the Sparc boxes - but I may be proven wrong there. I believe there's no driver for the networking hardware that supports IPv6.

-Stefan
Message 93 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

IPv6 is quite a different matter and discussion of this should be kept to a separate thread. Regarding the chances of IPv6 being added to Sparc there was a comment by a Jedi late last year: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47418&p=271666#p271666

WhoCares? wrote:

I believe there's no driver for the networking hardware that supports IPv6.

One should also note that the networking hardware is soldered on, so it can't be replaced.

Anyway IPv6 isn't needed by entry-level home users so there isn't much of a need to add such a feature to Sparc devices even if it were possible imo (if a business user needs the latest and greatest business features that most people don't need yet they shouldn't be using a device that ceased being targeted to the business market about a couple of years ago). AFP support for Mac OS X Lion is something some entry-level users would be interested and far more important.
Message 94 of 162
WiteWulf
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
IPv6 is quite a different matter and discussion of this should be kept to a separate thread. Regarding the chances of IPv6 being added to Sparc there was a comment by a Jedi late last year: <snip>

WhoCares? wrote:

I believe there's no driver for the networking hardware that supports IPv6.

Sorry for straying off-topic, it wasn't my intention...

One should also note that the networking hardware is soldered on, so it can't be replaced.

Anyway IPv6 isn't needed by entry-level home users so there isn't much of a need to add such a feature to Sparc devices even if it were possible imo (if a business user needs the latest and greatest business features that most people don't need they shouldn't be using a device that ceased being targeted to the business market about a couple of years ago). AFP support for Mac OS X Lion is something some entry-level users would be interested and far more important.

As a networking professional I'd strongly challenge that assertion but, as you've pointed out, this isn't the place...
Message 95 of 162
WhoCares_
Mentor

WiteWulf wrote:
mdgm wrote:
Anyway IPv6 isn't needed by entry-level home users (...)

As a networking professional I'd strongly challenge that assertion (...)

+1 😉
Message 96 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I guess I stand corrected. However it's a mute point if the hardware doesn't support it.

I don't see myself as an entry level user and don't expect to be using IPv6 any time soon (I use multiple devices not likely to receive updates to get IPv6 support).

I guess NetGear has to focus on what's achievable for the older devices (some have been discontinued for several years now) and it sounds like Mac OS X Lion support is.
Message 97 of 162
nerfffy
Aspirant

I can live without ipv6 on my Readynas duo but updated AFP support will be essential going forward. Hopefully it will be updated :lol:
Message 98 of 162
madronemedia
Aspirant

I'm not any super user, but rely on my Duo for backing up my macs, playing iTunes, movies and more. I would like to say that I'm disappointed Netgear is so quite on this, claiming Lion is a beta. As pointed out the Gold Master was released last week. This is what is going live to customers any day. Lion has been available to developers like Netgear for many, many weeks in order to allow them to test with their software and hardware for issue just like the one in this thread. I surely hope Netgear is working on this significant AFP issue right now and not waiting to start on a fix until Lion is released, since it is GM now.
Message 99 of 162
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 3rd party Netatalk team has been working on Netatalk 2.2 for a long time. I would expect that NetGear would have done some testing of this on the ReadyNAS but even at the Golden Master stage you should note that though unlikely things can still change in Lion. Once there is a production release of Lion NetGear can then test compatibility of the update with that (as well as some older Mac OS releases, which they may already have done). Do note that there is a lag between beta releases beng released internally and later being released as a public beta. Even if they have something basically ready to go one would expect them to wait till after Lion's released before releasing a public beta.
Message 100 of 162
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements