× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP Permission issues after new FW update

ptaylor874
Tutor

I have some files that after updating to the latest firmware on my Pro Pioneer this evening which I can't access.

In fact, I can't seem to write anything to that share from my Lion machine...
Message 1 of 46
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Re: AFP Permission issues after new FW update

You can change share options under the advanced options tab for the share if you are having issues.
Message 2 of 46
ptaylor874
Tutor

That worked great! I was able to set the permissions for the share and then access the files with no problems!

Thanks!
Message 3 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Unfortunately this didn't work for me, even after telling it to reset the permission on the share.

After the upgrade, I am able to mount the share, but I seemingly do not have write access to it from the finder only. If I go on the command line I can copy a file to the afp share, it shows up on the share both via command line and in the finder, I can even *delete* the file off the share via the finder, but if I try to drop a file onto the share via the finder, I get either a dialogue box saying I don't have permission or just a white circle with a cross through it.

I've checked and my username/uid match on both the readynas and my local system. I downloaded the logs off the readynas and see the following in the afp log:

Jul 21 10:47:00.840578 afpd[7599] {uuid.c:275} (W:AFPDaemon): getnamefromuuid(9D59ABDE-9E16-497D-89CF-D8CF62DBBDB4): no result from ldap_getnamefromuuid
Jul 21 10:47:00.840714 afpd[7599] {acls.c:1121} (E:Default): getnamefromuuid(uuid, &username, &uuidtype) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

That uuid matches the uuid for my account in the Advanced options of the users & groups system pref pane.

What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 4 of 46
Chewbacca
Aspirant

planetaaron:

What version of raidiator are you using? and what was it before? What version of Mac OS are you running? Does this only happen to one share?
Message 5 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
planetaaron:

What version of raidiator are you using? and what was it before? What version of Mac OS are you running? Does this only happen to one share?

Apologies for not giving more detail.

I just upgraded to RAIDiator-x86-4.2.18 this morning after upgrading to Lion last night and discovering the afp incompatibility. I believe the previous version I was running was 4.2.9, but not 100% sure about that. I only have the one share but I can try creating a new one and see if the behavior is different.

EDIT: Just created a brand new afp share, made my username the owner and am seeing the same issue. I can create files on the share vial teh command line and even delete from the finder, but trying to drop onto the share via the finder or edit something on the share gives me the white circle/cross.
Message 6 of 46
Chewbacca
Aspirant

planetaaron: Is the share a default created share?

Under advanced options what did you set the share to? Did you confirm that you checked the set ownership button? Did you get a popup that it was completed?
Message 7 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

I'm not sure what you mean by default created share, but to answer your other questions, Under advanced options for the share I have the following:

Share folder owner: my username
Share folder group: nogroup
Share folder owner rights: Read/Write
Share folder group rights: Read/Write
Share folder everyone rights: Read/Write

[checked] Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files. (I guess this explains why I can delete via the finder?)
Shift share content timestamps by: 0 minutes

One other tidbit is when I do a "get info" on the share via the finder under "Sharing and Permissions" it says "You have unknown access" at the top, then in the columns it shows:

Name | Privilege |
my username | Read & Write |
everyone | No Access |

If I do check the box that says "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings." and click apply I do get the dialogue box:

"[test] Share contents ownership and permissions changed to match the share.
[Thu Jul 21 11:59:16 PDT 2011]"
Message 8 of 46
Chewbacca
Aspirant

The default share are media and backup

What are your settings in the afp tab for that share?

Can you try creating another new share to see if you have the same issue.
Message 9 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Ok, no neither of these shares are default shares then. The second share I just created this morning and it has the same issues. AFP tab settings are:

Default access: Disabled

[unchecked]
Read-only users: [blank]
Read-only groups: [blank]

[checked]
Write-enabled users: my username
Write-enabled groups: blank
Allow guest access [unchecked]

Automatically set permissions box is unchecked.
Message 10 of 46
Pixeltje
Aspirant

Did you, when entering your username, wait for the drop-down bar showing your username? I've had some similar problem a while ago because i just rapidly typed in my username and hit 'save'. I had no access to the share, but when I deleted the username and entered it again i noticed the drop down list with the suggestion of my username in it. When i clicked that instead of typing it myself, everything worked just fine. (On Sparc NV+).
Message 11 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Pixeltje wrote:
Did you, when entering your username, wait for the drop-down bar showing your username? I've had some similar problem a while ago because i just rapidly typed in my username and hit 'save'. I had no access to the share, but when I deleted the username and entered it again i noticed the drop down list with the suggestion of my username in it. When i clicked that instead of typing it myself, everything worked just fine. (On Sparc NV+).

Hrm, I did see the drop down but did not select it. I will lose my mind if it's that simple. 🙂 Unfortunately I won't be able to give this a shot until I get home tonight, but thanks for the idea.

One other point of interest, in trying to rule out the client as being the issue I also tried mounting the share up on another computer that is still running snow leopard and it has the same behavior, so it would seem that it is not a client side problem at this point. Even if I set the perms to be as free as possible and set them recursively, there's no change in behavior. I see that the dirs are 777 via the command line, so anyone should be able to write to them, but no luck. The unit is also acting squirrely in that it doesn't reboot when I tell it to from the web page (have to use the power button). I've rebooted it several times in my troubleshooting to no avail. If the above suggestion doesn't work I'm not sure what other options I will have other than trying to re-install the firmware to the disks or wiping the unit back to factory, which of course requires me to get all the data off which is not a simple task.
Message 12 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Well, neither selecting the username from the dropdown nor reinstalling the firmware to disk resolved my issue. I'm rsyncing my files now and am going to go for a factory reset, as I don't really see any other option at this point. Needless to say, this has been disappointing, but thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions.
Message 13 of 46
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

planetaaron. A factory reset would give you native EXT4 with huge file (>2TB) support and 4k sector alignment. Some nice things to have.
Message 14 of 46
opt2bout
Aspirant

We have two macs running Lion, one with the behavior that everyone else here describes, and one that is working perfectly. It makes me think that it is something on the OS X side causing the problem. The errors on the nettalk.log getnamefromuuid failed: Resource temporary unavailable occurs when one of the workstations attempts to access the NAS.
Message 15 of 46
PeterO1
Aspirant

I too have been experiencing permissions problems on my ReadyNAS NV since upgrading to the Beta RAIDiator 4.1.8-T5 to fix connectivity with Mac OS Lion. I got the "CNID DB" error after the upgrade, but the log reported no problems and I was able to access after a reboot. However, I do not seem to be able to add files or folders to the root directory of each of my two shares (BACKUP and MEDIA). Permissions for the shares are reported as: partner: Read & Write and everyone: no access on my Snow Leopard desktop with ethernet, and as: (unknown): Read & Write and everyone:No Access on my Lion notebook with wireless. Based on the advice in this thread, I tried resetting my permissions in the Advanced Tab, which had no effect. My problem is only with the root of each share; I have no problem adding files or folders to the folders that already exist in each share (their permissions are reported as everyone: Read & Write). I also tried creating a third share, which reports the same permissions as the two existing shares, and I have no trouble adding files or folders to it.

So does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how I can repair or reset the permissions at the root level of my two shares that existed prior to the upgrade?

Cheers,
Peter O.
Message 16 of 46
rccoleman
Aspirant

I believe that I'm seeing the same issue that other folks are seeing. After upgrading from 4.2.17 to 4.2.18 on my Ultra 6, I can't write to the shares that I used to be able to write to under the previous firmware after connecting with my normal username. I tried creating a new share, a new group, and playing around with the options in the Advanced tab in the share list, but I still can't write files. The user/group and permissions on the ReadyNAS haven't changed for the share or any of the directories in it, and I can connect just fine - I just can't write.

I *can* write to those same shares if I connect to the share as "guest". The files get different permissions when I do that, but my issues with writing seem to be limited to connections made with my real username. After connecting to the same shares using CIFS using my real username, I can also write just fine. So, problems with AFP only when connecting with a real username.

I see the same behavior from a MBP running 10.6.8, and an iMac running 10.7.

The failures in the netatalk log are the ones mentioned above:

47.131916 afpd[7621] {acls.c:1121} (E:Default): getnamefromuuid(uuid, &username, &uuidtype) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Rob
Message 17 of 46
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

By any chance is you UID/GID on your Mac the same as on the ReadyNAS? I was having an issue like this and I changed my accounts UID/GID on the NAS and it is working OK. I change it back and it starts to fail again.
Message 18 of 46
opt2bout
Aspirant

CharlesLaCour wrote:
By any chance is you UID/GID on your Mac the same as on the ReadyNAS? I was having an issue like this and I changed my accounts UID/GID on the NAS and it is working OK. I change it back and it starts to fail again.

Yes, they were identical. When they don't match, it works.

In the past, when I created the users on the ReadyNAS, I made sure that the group UID and user UIDs were the same as they were on the mac. It worked before.

On my MBP, I could access the shares correctly. When I checked the UIDs, the MBP had a different UID than my other computer and the ReadyNAS.

I deleted my users on the ReadyNAS, re-created them--letting the ReadyNAS created the user's UID, and everything works perfectly.

Thanks!!
Message 19 of 46
PeterO1
Aspirant

My permission issues differ slightly from rccoleman. I can't copy files or folders or create new folders in the root directory of my shares, regardless of whether I connect with my username or as a guest. No problems whatsoever copying files or creating folders within folders that already exist in my shares. Don't know much about UID/GID, but having the same problem on two shares with different UIDs. I can copy files and create new folders at root level from Windows in a VM, so I conclude the problem is with AFP. I'm having the exact same problems on a laptop recently upgraded to Lion and a desktop running Snow Leopard, suggesting the problem is with the enhancements to advanced AFP permission settings that came with 4.1.8-T5.
Cheers,
Peter O.

UPDATE - I RESOLVED this problem. When I did a "Get Info" on the shares with Pathfinder, I noticed under attributes that "locked" was checked. Unchecking it allowed me to add and delete files and folders in the root of my shares using either Pathfinder or Finder in either Snow Leopard or Lion.
Message 20 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Ok, this just gets weirder. After a factory reset, the only way that I can get it to work is to create a share on the readynas that is owned by a username that is *different* from the username/uid on my mac, then type in that username & password in the "Connect As" dialogue box. If I try to use my account name that is the same on the Mac and the Readynas, I can't write to it via the finder.

Next up, complete OS re-install.
Message 21 of 46
planetaaron
Aspirant

Ok, as others have stated, I've confirmed that on Lion and radiator 4.2.18 the username is irrelevant but the UID must be different than whatever your UID is on your mac, otherwise you can't write to it via the finder. I would consider this to be a bug, especially since it wasn't a problem in previous versions, but I will leave that to others to decide if it should be addressed or not.
Message 22 of 46
pst
Tutor
Tutor

opt2bout wrote:
CharlesLaCour wrote:

Yes, they were identical. When they don't match, it works.

Ditto. Changed my UID to not match, chowned everything to the new UID, and my home share works fine now.
Message 23 of 46
sphardy1
Apprentice

planetaaron wrote:
Ok, as others have stated, I've confirmed that on Lion and radiator 4.2.18 the username is irrelevant but the UID must be different than whatever your UID is on your mac, otherwise you can't write to it via the finder. I would consider this to be a bug, especially since it wasn't a problem in previous versions, but I will leave that to others to decide if it should be addressed or not.

If your conclusion is correct, then this *must* be fixed else the consequence is that Mac users can no longer properly take part in an NFS network which relies in synchronized UIDs for permissions control while also using AFP
Message 24 of 46
opt2bout
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
planetaaron wrote:

If your conclusion is correct, then this *must* be fixed else the consequence is that Mac users can no longer properly take part in an NFS network which relies in synchronized UIDs for permissions control while also using AFP

On our ReadyNAS the NFS security settings and privileges appear to be working just fine. The NFS permissions are based on the host for granting access, and we are able create and edit files/folders. The UID on the NAS have the client's UID/GIDs so they don't match anything on the NAS without a NFS map configured.
Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements