× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP access not visible for all shares (Mac)

gilbreen
Aspirant

AFP access not visible for all shares (Mac)

I have an Ultra 4 model that I recently upgraded to OS 6.  I am in the process of moving the data from my backup to the ReadyNAS but am having some difficulty with AFP access. In the Admin page via the browser, in the Shares section, I see the following:

Documents

Home Folders

Media

I deleted some of the default shares like Pictures and Videos, as I prefer to keep them in the Media share.

In the Mac Finder window, when I click on ReadyNAS (AFP) in the 'Shared' section in the Finder sidebar, the only share that appears is the Documents share.  I am trying to access the Media share, but I can only see it if I select ReadyNAS (SMB) in the Finder sidebar.

When I look at the Media share settings via the browser, it shows that AFP access is on and the rest of the settings mirror those of the Documents share.

With OS 4, when I selected ReadyNAS (AFP) in the Mac Finder sidebar, all the shares appeared.

Was there a change with OS 6 or is there something else I am doing wrong?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AFP access not visible for all shares (Mac)

You are connected as a guest to AFP and have guest access turned off for the Media share. You either need to enable guest access for the share or login as a user to AFP.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Cliff_MI
Guide

There are two levels of controls for shares.

The global under services.

Then each share has setting for control.  Go to the shares tab and the left click on the share you want to change.  Select setting.

Then goto the service that you want to configure.  Turn it on and set any setting that are necessary.

That should have you working.

Message 2 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  I have checked the settings you mentioned and they are set the exact same as each other but only the Documents share is the one that shows up as an AFP share.  I am wondering if I need to reset the NAS again.  The default shares all showed up as AFP shares but any new shares I add, do not.

Message 3 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gilbreen,

Are you running FW 6.4.2 in your system? Try disabling the AFP service under System->Settings and re-enable it afterwards. Rebooting the unit after this procedure would help.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Communit Team

Message 4 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Yes, I am running FW 6.4.2.  I did as you recommended - disabled AFP under System -> Settings, turned it back on, and then rebooted the ReadyNAS.  Unfortunately, only the Documents share is available as an AFP share.

Before I reset the ReadyNAS, are there any other suggestions or things I should check?

Thanks.

Gilbert

Message 5 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gilbreen,

Try resetting the permission of the affected shares or folders. Here's an NETGEAR article you can look at.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

Brian,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I followed the directions on the linked page, rebooted the NAS, but the share is still not visible via AFP, only SMB.

Not sure what else to try.

Gilbert

Message 7 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gilbreen,

Do you have another MAC computer to try? What if you try this procedure (follow the screenshot below)? Just change the SMB to AFP.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

I have another Mac, and am seeing the same behavior on it.  My main machine is running El Capitan and the other machine is still on Yosemite.  I thought perhaps it was related to the OS, but it appears that is not the case.

Here are some screen shots of my settings and what happens when I tried to connect via the 'Connect to Server' option.

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.32.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.31.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.31.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.31.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.38.59 PM.png

I am at a loss as to what try next.

Thanks again for your efforts to assist!

Gilbert

Message 9 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Message 10 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

mdgm,

The logs have been sent in per the linked instructions.

Thanks.

Gilbert

Message 11 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. Can you send the Config Backup in to the same address? This time please include a link to your post.

Message 12 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

mgdm,

Config backup has been emailed along with the link to this post.

Thanks.

GIlbert

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are connected as a guest to AFP and have guest access turned off for the Media share. You either need to enable guest access for the share or login as a user to AFP.

Message 14 of 15
gilbreen
Aspirant

I feel foolish.  When I was looking at the settings for the share at Settings -> Network Access, I didn't realize I had to click on the AFP button at the top of the window in order to see the AFP settings.  I thought I was looking at global settings for all connection types.  Once I clicked on AFP, I saw that the 'Allow anonymous access' was not checked.  I checked the box, which prompted the AFP share to disconnect.  But once I reestablished the connection, I can see the Media share!

I guess I have a lot to still learn about OS 6 after so many years using OS 4!

Thanks to Brian and mdgm for your assistance.

Gilbert

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements