× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP corrupt and suddenly not working

NAS-SAN-NAS
Aspirant

AFP corrupt and suddenly not working

Hello Community,

my AFP Service  suddenly stopped.

How do I get the AFP service working again??

Stopping and Starting the service in the Browser Interface of ReadyOS gives error:

Unable to start and modify service (error  code: 15002030001)

I even tried to reinstall OS i.e. I installed the 6.8.0 Beta  - but still the same error and unavailability of AFP as before. the AFP log also shows errors (see below) - but I don't no any further measures to get the service working again.

I need AFP working for MacOS  TimeMachine Backups.

Ideas and help greatly appreciated.

NAS-SAN-NAS

Sample of the Log-Download:

AFP:

Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: transmit: Request to dbd daemon (volume [username]'s home) timed out.
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: afp_openvol(/home/[username]): Fatal error: Unable to get stamp value from CNID backend
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: AFP logout by [username]
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: afp_over_dsi: client logged out, terminating DSI session
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: pam_unix(netatalk:session): session closed for user [username]
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28455]: AFP statistics: 0.73 KB read, 0.62 KB written
Jul 20 21:12:55 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28493]: read: Connection reset by peer
Jul 20 21:12:56 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28493]: read: Connection reset by peer
Jul 20 21:12:57 nas[Nas-Name] afpd[28493]: read: Connection reset by peer
Jul 20 21:12:58 nas[Nas-Name] cnid_metad[28846]: Multiple attempts to start CNID db daemon for "/data/Documents" failed, wip

AFP in a frozen stateAFP in a frozen state

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NAS-SAN-NAS,

Are you disabling and re-enabling the FTP on the admin page's list of shares where you can change permissions? If so, do you get the same error message when you enable FTP on another share? If it does not give the error message, please try accessing it via FTP too. You can also move the files to another share that has no problem with FTP.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
NAS-SAN-NAS
Aspirant

Thank you JennC

for your hint to look under the shares -->settings - but unfortunately no successs

------

Are you disabling and re-enabling the FTP on the admin page's list of shares where you can change permissions?

• No until your hint I only tried under System-->Settings-Services
    Error:

Service operation failed

Unable to start or modify service

Code 15002030001

• But, trying under shares gives also an error for Shares-->documents-->settings-->network access AFP on/off
    Error:
    Folder operation failed
    Commit failed

If so, do you get the same error message when you enable FTP on another share? 

I also tried FTP (on/off) on another share than "Documents" - tried it on "Music" --> but unfortunately the same error.

Error:

Service operation failed

Unable to start or modify service

Code 15002030001

Thank you for thinking along - even if this doesn't give the solution - any further ideas to save my data and re-enabling AFP Service?

Yours NAS-SAN-NAS

(BTW - for me AFP is the Service in question as I need it in a MacOS Environment - so hope you didn't get me wrong - FTP is not the protocoll that I need to work)

Message 3 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NAS-SAN-NAS,

I guess this is something that can be fixed from the backend.

I checked your profile and found that you have a lifetime CHAT support for your ReadyNAS 316. I suggest you try contacting them so they can assist you further in getting one of the L3 support people to remote in.

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
flip68
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with enabling AFP service to use with my Mac's at home.  Did you ever get resolution to this?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi flip68,

What is the model number and current firmware version of your NAS?

Regards,
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
flip68
Aspirant

@JohnCM_SThank you for the reply.  It was a Pro 6 with OS 6.9.0.

I had some other issues and just ended up doing a factory default which resolved the issues, but thank you again! 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements