× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP much slower after 4.1.8 update

boywithumbrella
Aspirant

AFP much slower after 4.1.8 update

• Trigger: firmware update from 4.1.8-T5 to 4.1.8

• Problem: AFP too slow (reads averaging 8 MB/s - was 3x faster before update)

• NAS: ReadyNAS Duo, 512 MB RAM, RAIDiator 4.1.8

• Computer: MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion (up-to-date)

• Network: Gigabit Ethernet, Airport Extreme Base Station (sim. dual-band)

I've updated my ReadyNAS Duo from RAIDiator 4.1.8-T5 to 4.1.8 (final) yesterday; after which the transfer speeds over AFP were half of those before the update, at best. I have my Duo connected to an Airport Extreme over Gigabit Ethernet, my Mac is similarly connected to the AEB over Gigabit Ethernet. Before the 4.1.8 update the read speed over AFP was around 20-25 MB/s. After the update the read speed over AFP fluctuates from 4 to 12 MB/s, averaging at about 8 MB/s – which is very slow in itself, and only 1/3 of the performance I've seen with the previous firmware. Over CIFS it still reads at around 25 MB/s. The afpd process on the NAS uses about 15-25% CPU when reading files over AFP.

As I haven't changed any settings on the NAS, nor anything on the network, I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot the problem, let alone resolve it. Apparently something has been changed in the AFP (netatalk) implementation between 4.1.8-T5 and final 4.1.8 - what can I do to return the AFP speeds back to normal?
Message 1 of 7
PBobbenB
Aspirant

Re: AFP much slower after 4.1.8 update

Hi

Got a similar issue as you.

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and with Radiator 4.1.7 the speeds over AFP where about 19Mb/sec writing and about 40-45Mb/sec reading.
But with Radiator 4.1.8 the speeds are now about 15Mb/sec writing and about 30Mb/sec reading.

Most likely something to do with the new version of Netatalk.
Message 2 of 7
scopedial
Aspirant

My Lion/4.1.8 config is really suffering. Does anyone know what impact on Lion there will be if a revert to 4.1.7?
Message 3 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

Willing to try the 4.1.9 beta? It should resolve this: viewtopic.php?p=332850#p332850
Message 4 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

I recommend testing the beta as well, as it does mention fixing performance issues with AFP.
Message 5 of 7
scopedial
Aspirant

🙂 AFP is much better now. I will testing my remote print queue later...
Message 6 of 7
boywithumbrella
Aspirant

I installed the 4.1.9-T2 beta, but the AFP performance has not improved (no change at all). Still only getting 9 MB/s at best.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements