× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP service switches on automatically

ismaeljk
Tutor

AFP service switches on automatically

We installed firmware 6.9.1 and switched off the AFP service since with it on, although no computer connects using AFP, there were connection issues via SMB - some machines, not all, could not connect to the ReadyNAS.  However, the AFP service seems to switch on automatically sometimes, causing problems for the other SMB connections - again, not possible to connect with correct login.  Once the AFP service is switched off again, all connections work well.

Also, SMB Plus is not installed at this time, since all computers connecting are Apples.

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, SMB Plus just gives you some more controls over the SMB modes/options.  You can use it in an Apple environment if you want - though you might not need it, it does no harm.

But it won't address your main issue, and it certainly is concerning to have a protocol somehow enable itself.  You are saying it is disabled on the system->settings->services page in the web ui?  Or do you mean that it is simply not enabled on any shares?

Message 2 of 8
ismaeljk
Tutor

I disabled it on System/Settings/Services, and somehow it enabled itself.  

In addition, it is not enabled in any shares.

Concerning indeed.

Message 3 of 8
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Are you using Time Machine?  Time Machine currently requires AFP.

Message 4 of 8
ismaeljk
Tutor

No, no Time Machine...

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 6 of 8
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I can see the last time it turned on was Jan 19, and it looks like you did some operations in the GUI.  Do you have any idea those were?  Any idea how to reproduce this?  I tried all sorts of things, but I haven't been able to make it happen.

Message 7 of 8
ismaeljk
Tutor

An entire week has gone by - with all maintenance operations etc. taking place - and the AFP has not switched on again.  Last time it happened over the weekend, and I thought it might have been something to do with the automatic maintenance routines, but it does not seem to be the case.  

Unless it happens again, I think it might have been a one-off.  The week before it happened last, I updated the operating system and changed out one of the discs.  I also switched off the AFP that week because with the new operating system it was creating problems for the SMB connections.  Nothing else was done.  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements