× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP share drops unexpectedly, but CIFS share is fine

Chewbacca
Aspirant

Re: AFP share drops unexpectedly, but CIFS share is fine

pointpeninsula: What firmware are you running? How long has this been running before you have had a issue? Did anything change before you started have this issue?
Message 26 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Chewbacca,

Thanks for responding.

The ReadyNAS Duo firmware is as follows: RAIDiator 4.1.7 [1.00a043]
I've had TimeMachine running since last July on a Macbook Pro, and I installed an iMac a few weeks ago. Both machines ran fine, with never any hiccup on either AFP or TimeMachine until recently. I first noticed the problems on Saturday, but it could have started a few days earlier, because I wasn't doing a lot with the machines for a few days.
What is interesting is that my iTunes library is on the NAS, in the media share, and even when AFP and TimeMachine are down, I can still access the music. SSH also works; the Macbook is wireless and the iMac is wired, so I don't believe it's a network problem.

The only change that might have occurred is that I believe iTunes updated recently, and it's possible that Apple update something else in the operating system. I have noticed that if I reboot or power-cycle the Duo that both interfaces will work for awhile. Also, even though I can't access the shared resource using AFP, I can still access folders on the Duo that I previously mounted and added to the sidebar. Does this suggest a Bonjour problem?

I was hoping that perhaps other users have seen a recent problem. I know Apple won't offer any support for Netgear hardware, and of course Netgear won't offer support to troubleshoot an Apple problem.

One update - I did figure out where the sparsebundles are, and I can see them via SSH, so I know they're not gone. All my other files are safely on the NAS as well, but it's difficult when AFP keeps quitting.

Thanks,
Tom
Message 27 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Update:

I misspoke. I do not see CIFS as a choice on the sidebar in Finder under Shared resources. I used to, though.
Tom
Message 28 of 56
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Can you still access the afp share via cmd-k?

Can you send your logs right after reboot and after you are unable to access afp. Directions are in my signature.
Message 29 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Access failed using CMD-K as well.

I've rebooted the device, and it's currently working. I'll send this (large!) zip file now, and send another after it fails, if that's okay.
Thanks!

Tom
Message 30 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

More news:
If I connect to server, and use afp://IP_Address, it works fine. It appears I have a name resolution problem? (Note that this does not fix TimeMachine, however.)
Message 31 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you checked under Network > Global Settings in Frontview to ensure that your settings there are correct?
Message 32 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Yes, the hostname, default gateway and workgroup are all unchanged. I added Google (8.8.8.8) as the first DNS server some time back, but that was well before this problem started occurring.
Contrary to the title of this thread, I cannot connect using CIFS, either (using the Command-K UI), and supplying the stored hostname. Typing the hostname in for afp or CIFS doesn't work either.
Specifying afp://IP_Address always works, however, and presents a list of shares for me to mount.
Message 33 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Stupid emoticons.
Message 34 of 56
Chewbacca
Aspirant

pointpeninsula: Thanks for the logs. Im looking into them now. I don't see anything out of the ordinary happening.

What error message do you receive when you cmd-k with cifs and hostname?

Ill keep digging through your logs.
Message 35 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Thanks Chewbacca.

I'm hot on the trail of a workaround that might be pretty acceptable. Using the static IP address doesn't bother me, because I can just put my mounted volumes on the sidebar, and now I know how to put my TimeMachine files on another volume.
But to answer your question, I'll Command-K this:
afp://Berwick_NAS1%20(AFP)._afpovertcp._tcp.local

After some delay, the computer responds:

The server "Berwick_NAS1 (AFP)" man not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

It's odd that it will work after a power cycle for awhile. I'll spend some more time in the logs too. As you know, there's a boatload of them!

Thanks, again,
Tom
Message 36 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Sorry, I just realized that I didn't answer your question. I should have finished my coffee first!

Cmd-K:
smb://Berwick_NAS1%20(CIFS)._smb._tcp.local

Gets:
There was an error connecting to the server "Berwick_NAS1 (CIFS)". Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator.
Message 37 of 56
sphardy1
Apprentice

Have you used something like Bonjour Browser (http://www.tildesoft.com/) to verify if the service is still being advertised? If not, either something is blocking the Bonjour broadcasts (such unpredictable behaviour has been seen with some routers - particularly cheap ISP provided routers) or maybe the Bonjour service on the NAS (Avahi) is dying but without reporting anything in the logs?

If the latter - you could try disabling and re-enabling Bonjour in Frontview to verify.
Message 38 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

Sphardy,

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that a Bonjour browser existed, but I suppose I could have thought of that.

I'll try that tonight, and post my results.

One of my routers is an ISP-supplied one, but it's been in service for awhile, so I doubt it's causing the problem. Anything is possible, I suppose.

Thanks!
Tom
Message 39 of 56
Chewbacca
Aspirant

pointpeninsula: I would try rebooting the router if you get a chance. . I remember helping a user once that was having a similar issue and after a router and switch reboot it all started working again.

I looked in your logs more and the avahi daemon looks to still be running and no errors in the logs.

If you start and stop the bonjour service can you send me your logs again.
Message 40 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

I tried rebooting the router and it made no change.

Although I've been looking around Google and linuxquestions.org, I can't figure out how to stop and restart the Bonjour service. I apologize for being inept - as you can probably tell I'm a bit of a Unix/Linux newbie.

I did run netstat on the NAS within SSH, and saw this, with interest:

tcp 0 128 Berwick_NAS1:ssh 192.168.0.9:54442 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:afpovertcp 192.168.0.9:54286 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:https 192.168.0.9:59791 TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:afpovertcp 192.168.0.3:65372 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:afpovertcp 192.168.0.3:65375 ESTABLISHED

I think this is telling me that the afp ought to be working. I'm still suspecting that something changed within OS X to cause this. (IP addrs 9 and 3 are my two computers.)

The next experiment is to reboot the NAS (which ought to restart the service)

As expected, both AFP and TimeMachine seem to work now. The netstat list is now:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 localhost.localdom:3493 localhost.localdom:3442 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 localhost.localdom:3442 localhost.localdom:3493 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:445 192.168.0.3:49184 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:445 192.168.0.3:49185 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:afpovertcp 192.168.0.9:61488 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 128 Berwick_NAS1:ssh 192.168.0.9:60600 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 Berwick_NAS1:https 192.168.0.9:61316 TIME_WAIT

(It's interesting to note that the afpovertcp item was not in the netstat listing until AFTER I connected to the (AFP) server in Finder. I guess that makes sense.)

I'm not sure I'm any closer to a solution, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

Thanks so much for the help. If you can tell me how to stop and restart the service, I'll try that next.

Tom
Message 41 of 56
Chewbacca
Aspirant

You can stop and start bonjour in frontview in the services tab under discovery services.

What brand router do you have? Is there anything in between?
Message 42 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

D'OH! I missed the obvious method of restarting Bonjour.

The Bonjour browser does show the number of AFP machines change when the NAS drops off.

When I disable and reenable the service via Frontview, the Browser picks up the NAS as another AFP service, and Finder recognizes the server. I think this exonerates the router.

However, TimeMachine still won't pick up the NAS TM server. When I toggle the state of TM in Frontview, however, the iMac picks up the ReadyNAS volume.

Network description: My NAS and iMac are upstairs, connected to a Netgear DGL4500 wireless router. Both units are connected via RJ-45. The router in turn gets its IP address from the DSL modem/router, which is located in the basement, physically close to the network interface unit (to get the best SNR). There is an 8-port switch between the two, also in the basement, under the living room floor, which serves an Apple TV and an LG Blu-ray player. The wireless items are the Macbook Pro and an iPhone, and each use the D-Link router for their 802.11g interfaces.

I added some Ethernet cabling and the 8-port switch in December. Since then, there has been no change to the network, apart from replacing a Dell tower with the iMac in mid-February.

This sure sounds like something flaky in the NAS to me.

Tom
Message 43 of 56
sphardy1
Apprentice

Sounds like the Bonjour Service on the NAS is dying. You can search the syslog in your downloaded logs for "avahi" to see if anything is reported - I think the file is named system.log in the downloaded logs.

But beyond that I think you need Netgear Tech Support to take a look
Message 44 of 56
supergedeon
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue at the same time on my readynas duo. what should exactly be done to fix this ?
thanks
Message 45 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

I just gave up. When I start the computer, I use Command-K to connect to the server using its IP address, and it works fine.
Message 46 of 56
supergedeon
Aspirant

but I can't even do this, I need to restart AFP on readynas everyday 😞
here is the log :
netatalk.log:Apr 30 06:25:08.797872 afpd[9712] {main.c:104} (I:AFPDaemon): shutting down on signal 15
netatalk.log:May 01 06:25:12.205968 afpd[31761] {main.c:104} (I:AFPDaemon): shutting down on signal 15
netatalk.log:May 02 06:25:09.103804 afpd[15802] {main.c:104} (I:AFPDaemon): shutting down on signal 15
Message 47 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

I meant that I don't bother with running Bonjour on the ReadyNAS. I use Command-K on the Mac to connect to the server manually.
Message 48 of 56
supergedeon
Aspirant

I think it's not only bonjour in my case but the basic ability to use AFP
Message 49 of 56
pointpeninsula
Aspirant

I think you'll need to contact support. This problem sounds different from the one I had.
Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements