× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AWS S3 - Backup frequency and versioning with the inbuilt app

TobyPG
Aspirant

AWS S3 - Backup frequency and versioning with the inbuilt app

Hi Netgear Community,

I acquired a ReadyNAS for the business to replace their fileserver, and I've been struggling to get the AWS backups working correctly. 

I've set up the Sync fine, all the files are uploaded, but I can't seem to get versioning working on the AWS side (as in I would like a previous version of files). If a user currently deletes a file, the file will then be permanently deleted on the AWS side. The workaround I've found so far is to make a local backup of the data nightly to the NAS itself, but would like to get it working correctly.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,

Toby Gladhill

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: AWS S3 - Backup frequency and versioning with the inbuilt app

TobyPG wrote:

Am I missing something obvious?

The built-on app does sync, but not backup.

Message 2 of 5
TobyPG
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks for you reply.

I gathered that it's a live sync, I was wondering if there was any way of allowing versioning on it.

Also, I don't see the point of advertising S3 backups without actually having the inbuilt functionality for it.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@TobyPG wrote:

Also, I don't see the point of advertising S3 backups without actually having the inbuilt functionality for it.

I agree with you on this.  Live Sync is not a backup - it is convenient, but it actually increases data vulnerability.

@TobyPG wrote:

I was wondering if there was any way of allowing versioning on it.

I don't know of any, but I have played with it either.  My own cloud backups use CrashPlan.

Message 4 of 5
TobyPG
Aspirant

Cheers for your help Stephen! Hopefully there's someone that's faced the same issue with AWS and found a workaround.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements