× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access HD in USB enclosure

dim73
Aspirant

Access HD in USB enclosure

Hello,

When my ReadyNAS dies but the HD is still working, can I still have access to the HD when I put it in a USB enclosure?

Can I mount the HD in OSX or do I need Ubuntu (Linux) for this?

Dim
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The drives are formated with ext. I'm not sure if there are any suitable tools in OSX.

How many drives are in the raid array?
Message 2 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

The drives are formatted with ext as mentioned above, but you also have to take into account that the ReadyNAS is a RAID unit, so you would have to have at least the minimum required amount to run the RAID in order to access the files (RAID 5 is total number of disks minus one disk, RAID 6 (dual disk redundancy) is the total number of disks used minus two. RAID 1 would be mirrored disks of each other and would be able to easily extract the data. If you want to use the disk and no longer have it in a RAID setup, you'll most likely have to mount the disk using Disk Utility and wipe all partitions.
Message 3 of 7
pfile
Aspirant

question along these lines - if you put all of your NV+ disks into a JBOD enclosure and then connect it to a linux machine, can you simply assemble the array with mdadm? i'm having trouble booting my NV+ so i wondered if i could assemble the raid from a linux box. thanks.
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

This thread might help: viewtopic.php?t=62044&p=348227
Message 5 of 7
dim73
Aspirant

Hello,

It's just one disk. No raid setup as far as I can tell. My NAS is the ReadyNAS plus. Capable for hosting not more than two drives. For now it's only 1 single 3TB drive. So you guys can confirm I can access my data on a Linux machine?

Thnx StephenB but the answer on that topic is to technical for me. 🙂 I just want a way to access my data if the NAS fails... 🙂
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

dim73 wrote:
Thnx StephenB but the answer on that topic is to technical for me. 🙂 I just want a way to access my data if the NAS fails... 🙂
sorry - that reply was really meant for pfile, not you. It doesn't directly apply to your x86 NAS anyway.

Part of the answer to the "when the NAS fails" question is to set up frontview backup, and stick with a regular backup schedule. If you only do one thing, that should be it. Trusting your data to one device is a bad idea, at some point you will lose it.

The second step would be to install a second 3 TB drive in the NAS. That won't increase capacity, as the NAS will then be keeping the two disks in sync. You still need a backup, but the second disk makes it less likely that you will need to use it.

If you do both of those steps, it is unlikely that you'd ever need to recover data directly from the NAS drives. However, if you did that are several approaches - for instance
(a) buy a new x86 ReadyNAS, and move your disk(s) into it
(b) pay a recovery service to get your data. How much that would cost depends on how the NAS fails. If the files are intact, it would be fairly inexpensive. If there is corruption, it could be very expensive (and might not recover everything).
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements