× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access to all files *Solved*

spunkballa
Aspirant

Access to all files *Solved*

Hi everyone,

I have a Netgear RN2120, I have set up my NAS to work with my AD, and that works fine, However I am a teacher and IT support for my local college here in my area. I work in a lab that is not on the "college network" I have my own network in my cyber security lab. For that reason I have students upload all there classwork to the NAS system, and it works great.

My question is this however. I am an admin, but I cannot see my students files, they have to log in for me to see the files. Is there a way to set up the NAS to work with the AD DNS, as it is now where students cannot see other students files/work but allow me (the admin) to see there files so I can grade the work?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Access to all files

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?

If you login as an admin e.g. a Domain Admin or the "admin" user (user used to manage the Dashboard) then you should be able to see all the home shares. You should have access to view the entire data volume e.g. "data"

If logged in to the NAS as a different user you could use e.g. the "net use" command on the command prompt to delete the existing connection and then use the "net use" command to connect as the admin user.

Also if you prefer if connected to the NAS via the hostname you could connect as "admin" using the I.P. or vice versa.
Message 2 of 4
garyd9
Virtuoso

with os6, I don't think you can access those special shares as a domain admin... you have to use the nas admin acct. (just tested/confirmed on my 516)
Message 3 of 4
spunkballa
Aspirant

garyd9 wrote:
with os6, I don't think you can access those special shares as a domain admin... you have to use the nas admin acct. (just tested/confirmed on my 516)

Hi all,

Garyd9 I did this and it worked. Took me a minuet to figure out how to log into the box without using my already authenticated AD credentials using file explorer but once I did, I was able to browse to ""%root%\data\hostname\Studentfiles" (host name being my NAS host name and stdentfiles being student user account names). So thank you very much!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements