× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access to root of Nas

stevehaley
Tutor

Access to root of Nas

Having upgraded my Pro to OS 6.6.1 I no longer appear to be able to map a drive to the root of my Nas. Under Radiator 4.4 i could map a drive as admin to \\readynasName\c and this would give me access to all the shares but now I get path not available, Is this no longer possible? Is there no way to map a single drive that can see all the shares?

Regards

Stephen

BTW as a searchable heads up to others:-

I was unable to map a share or login via explorer as admin until I changed the password for admin again from the password chosen in the setup wizard. Not sure why but may save someone from a lot of head scratchng - just got error 86 when I issued the net use command.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Access to root of Nas

@stevehaley wrote:

I had to change it AGAIN before i could access the shares via SMB from a windows box despite rebooting both pc and readynas.

I've seen that too (though my last reset was a while ago). I agree it's a bug.

Personally I'd rather have explicit controls over accessing the NAS volume (and allow any sharing protocol).  Maybe put that in the idea exchange.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

There is a \root folder on the OS partition, so calling the data volume the "root of NAS" isn't technically right and can be confusing.

@stevehaley wrote:

I was unable to map a share or login via explorer as admin until I changed the password for admin again from the password chosen in the setup wizard. 

Correct.  Once you change the default admin password you can map \\readynasName\Data using the NAS admin credentials.  ("data" is the default XRAID volume.  If you use flexraid, you can substitute any flexraid volume name).

Requiring the password change is a security feature, and it is always good practice to change the default admin credentials on any device - especially a NAS or router.

Message 2 of 4
stevehaley
Tutor

Hmm Didnt make myself clear

When I set the box up a wizard ran which amongst other things made me change the admin password from the default "password" to a new password. So when I had the SMB access problems it was not with a default password, I had to change it AGAIN before i could access the shares via SMB from a windows box despite rebooting both pc and readynas. Something weird happens with the password setting in the startup script that doesnt set it for SMB. Maybe SMB isnt enabled at that point?? But this would appear to be a bug. Forgive me if I dont factory reset the box as it takes 12hrs to sync. I have seen a few posts with people who had a similar problem when upgrading but no solution hence the mention.

The SMBd log had this failure in it.. (Note the password was definately correct)

[2017/04/12 11:53:45.616748, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:315(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [admin] -> [admin] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

net use \\ReadnasName\Data /user:admin adminpswd 

Did the job thanks

Regards

Stephen Haley

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@stevehaley wrote:

I had to change it AGAIN before i could access the shares via SMB from a windows box despite rebooting both pc and readynas.

I've seen that too (though my last reset was a while ago). I agree it's a bug.

Personally I'd rather have explicit controls over accessing the NAS volume (and allow any sharing protocol).  Maybe put that in the idea exchange.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements