× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Accessing FrontView from Safari

KillerBob
Aspirant

Accessing FrontView from Safari

I am an Apple user, and access my two ReadyNASes from my Mac computers. However, using Safari and/or Safari Technology Preview, I cannot. It works fine using Chrome or FireFox, but since I use Safari Tech Preview for everything else, it is annoying that I cano not access my NASes using that browser.

The error I get is that "This Connection Is Not Private". I click "show details", and then "visit this website", I am asked user name and password to confirm accepting the certificate, and is then taken back to "This Connection Is Not Private".

Am I the only one who have problems with this? I have a few Macs, and they all have the probem, so I do not think it is an Apple problem...

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Can you post the firmware you are running?  

@KillerBob wrote:

The error I get is that "This Connection Is Not Private". I click "show details", and then "visit this website", I am asked user name and password to confirm accepting the certificate

I'm not a mac user, and haven't seen this on windows systems.  Hopefully mac users here will be able to help.

I did want to point out the user/password pop-up isn't about accepting the cert.  It's the log in into the NAS admin UI.

Message 2 of 11
KillerBob
Aspirant

No, there are two different kinds of user name/ID. The one you mean, to log into FrontView, is quite different than the one to accept the override the error...

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@KillerBob wrote:

No, there are two different kinds of user name/ID. The one you mean, to log into FrontView, is quite different than the one to accept the override the error...

So you are entering the Mac user/password to allow the exception?  Interesting, I haven't seen that.  

The only time I use safari is on my ipads (and even there I generally use Chrome).

Message 4 of 11
KillerBob
Aspirant

Yes, I allow the exception, and then it's like it goes in a circle, and right back again.

Unfortunately all my Macs are on High Sierra, so it could be a beta issue, I don't know.

Message 5 of 11
KillerBob
Aspirant

...and when I check the certificate, it says the self-signed root certificate is marked as truseted for that IP.

hmmmmm

Like I said, it could be a FrontView / Certificate / High Sierra Safari issue.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@KillerBob wrote:

Unfortunately all my Macs are on High Sierra, so it could be a beta issue, I don't know.

I'd have thought we'd have seen it posted already if it were on all OSX systems.

You are running 4.2.x on the NAS?

Message 7 of 11
KillerBob
Aspirant

Nope, ver. 6.7.5:)

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@KillerBob wrote:

Nope, ver. 6.7.5:)

I think that likely matters for this (OS 4, OS 5, and OS 6 might well behave differently).

Message 9 of 11
genesearch
Aspirant

This is a browser security issue due to HSTS policy.   Each browser is dealing with it differently but wont be long before they all just block sites with certificate errors.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Strict_Transport_Security

Chrome recently announced they are going to issue warnings for sites that dont have https.

Netgear is going to have to change something in their self signed certificates, so that access works with upto date browsers. Or at least just give us the opportunity to disabled HTTPS on the control panel.   I dont need it

Message 10 of 11
KillerBob
Aspirant

NetGear, are you looking into this???

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements