× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing multiple shares from Windows 7?

rsauvain
Aspirant

Accessing multiple shares from Windows 7?

Has anyone figured out how to have two simultaneous shares open to a ReadyNAS from a Windows 7 desktop? When I try to open the second connection WIndows refuses, saying that simultaneous connections to a network resource are not allowed.

Richard
Message 1 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Accessing multiple shares from Windows 7?

This works for me, I can browse and open several shares at once and open documents from several shares simultaneously, however my windows user has network and file access to all the shares I want to see. I can't see a situation where a windows user would want access to multiple shares to which he has already not been granted permission. Why doesn't your windows user have access to both shares ?

Does the logged in windows user have permissions to access both shares?
How are you accessing the shares, via network browser?

I suspect this will turn out to be a permissions issue.

What firmware?
Message 2 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

I don't think windows allow mutiple sign-in's so you will have to use net use to sign in another account.

What I suggest to try is:

Create 2 mapped drives.

On the first mapped drives use the hostname.
On the second one, use the IP of the NAS.
Message 3 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

If that is the case that your windows user doesn't have access permissions to both shares, then my question is "Why not?"
What situation would you encounter where one user requires simultaneous access to 2 or more shares to which that user does not have access?
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Windows will allow one set of credentials for the hostname, and a different set for the IP address. But you can't have multiple credentials for the hostname (or for the IP address).

One main use case might be a family PC with only one logon, but where there are some shares that you don't want the whole family to access.
Message 5 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Probably easier on that family PC to just setup a windows and nas user that has access to both shares , then use that windows login when multiple share access is required.
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
Probably easier on that family PC to just setup a windows and nas user that has access to both shares , then use that windows login when multiple share access is required.
That's not great either, since switching users in Windows brings you into a different desktop, different user libraries, etc. So either way that use case isn't covered very well.

But the problem is created by the limitations built into Windows Credential management - not something Netgear can change in the ReadyNAS.
Message 7 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

But don't you think that it is inherently insecure to be able to login to a restricted share in a communal windows environment. Once logged in, one would need to use the command line to log out or logout and login again as that windows user in order to re-establish restricted access. Not so?
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I agree that you'd need to be careful on security. For instance, you'd have to make sure Windows didn't save the password. And it might be safer to always use "net use * /delete" when finished.

How much this matters in practice depends a bit on the skill level of the other members in the family, and what the consequences of accidentally exposing the share would be. For that particular use case it might be enough to simply hide the share, and not attempt to restrict access.

Though my main point was that the issues are built into windows (including the additional issues you raise).

Though perhaps we have strayed off topic. Rsauvain's problem seems likely to be related to trying to use 2 credentials simultaneously, but he hasn't confirmed that (or indicated why he wants to do that).
Message 9 of 12
rsauvain
Aspirant

The reason I want two simultaneous connections if this: the application is for a small business. I've set up one share that allows full access to all users and holds lots of common files that are intended to be shared with all. The manager also wants a share that only he can read and write, for confidential employee records and the like. But he also needs to access the common files. Hence the need for two simultaneous connections on his machine.

I'm inclined to try the trick of making one connection using the host name and the other with the IP address and see if that works. Or play with netuse. It will be about 10 days before I can experiment, due to vacation.
Message 10 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

If it's his machine, why can he not have his own user who has permissions for both shares?
Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Agreed. He doesn't need two connections to satisfy his use case.

All he really needs is a home share for his user account.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements