× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by April 1st, 2023. For more details click here.

Acronis Or Netgear Software?

XrayDoc88
Tutor

Acronis Or Netgear Software?

I've decided it's time to finally retire my trusty home built Windows Home Server and purchase a NAS.  I've pretty much decided on a Netgear ReadyNAS model.  I'd like the NAS to make automatic complete backups (hopefully disc images) of each machine in my network.  I want to be able to completely restore any computer from the NAS should there be a catastrophe.  Can the software that comes with the ReadyNAS do this automatically and does it work well?  Or should I purchase a program such as Acronis True Image, which I have used before?  Thanks!

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Acronis Or Netgear Software?

The built-in NAS backup jobs won't create image backups.  If you share folders on your PC over the network, they can back them on on a schedule (assuming the source PCs are powered on when the backup job is run).

Personally I use Acronis TrueImage on my PCs, with the backup destination set to a NAS share.  I use the ReadyNAS backup jobs to back up my NAS (to other NAS).  FWIW, Acronis has a black friday sale on right now.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The built-in NAS backup jobs won't create image backups.  If you share folders on your PC over the network, they can back them on on a schedule (assuming the source PCs are powered on when the backup job is run).

Personally I use Acronis TrueImage on my PCs, with the backup destination set to a NAS share.  I use the ReadyNAS backup jobs to back up my NAS (to other NAS).  FWIW, Acronis has a black friday sale on right now.

Message 2 of 3
XrayDoc88
Tutor

Thank you.  I will take advantage of the current sale with Acronis.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements