× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

'Act' Light Flashing Rapidly - ReadyNAS214 4Bay

Bigmaca
Aspirant

'Act' Light Flashing Rapidly - ReadyNAS214 4Bay

Hi there, 

I've recently moved house and since moving on occassion my ReadyNas unit will flash rapidly (the act button). I can hear the disks working inside the unit but it is not being accessed or doing anything. If I restart the unit this will resolve it but then a few days maybe hours later it will come back again. I currently use plex on it and when the light flashes quickly it will run a little slower and the accessing of the Admin page is a bit slower. If I turn off the app it will help significantly but doesn't resolve it completely sometimes. 

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it, it's annoying having to go into the admin page all the time to sort this. I've looked through the logs as well and everything appears to be working normally.  

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: 'Act' Light Flashing Rapidly - ReadyNAS214 4Bay

Overall, there are various background activities that could account for this.  Plex might be reloading metadata, auto-defrag might be kicking in, file search might be updating it's database, etc. 

Also, it might have been happening before the move (since the light and the sounds might not have been as noticeable there).

@Bigmaca wrote:

As for checking De-Frag where can I find that information? 

It's a setting for each share (click on the settings wheel on the share page).

auto-defrag.png

@Bigmaca wrote:

Hi Stephen B, 

I don't know if I even use all those services. I literally use it for backing up files and using plex to stream my media. 

I'd start by disabling several of these services and see if anything changes.  If you use Windows, then disable AFP.  Also disable ReadyDLNA, NFS, and File Search.  In addition disable auto-defrag for each share.

If that seems to resolve the problem, then I'd re-enable auto defrag and file search (one at a time).

Are you using any of the scheduled maintenance functions (on the volume settings wheel)?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What apps and services do you have enabled on the NAS?

Do you have "auto defrag" enabled on the shares?

Message 2 of 6
Bigmaca
Aspirant

Hi Stephen B, 

Thanks for helping. 

The Services I have enabled are: 

SMB

AFP

NFS

ReadyNAS DLNA

UPnP

HTTP

HTTPS

File Search

Apps: 

Plex

I don't know if I even use all those services. I literally use it for backing up files and using plex to stream my media. As for checking De-Frag where can I find that information? 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Overall, there are various background activities that could account for this.  Plex might be reloading metadata, auto-defrag might be kicking in, file search might be updating it's database, etc. 

Also, it might have been happening before the move (since the light and the sounds might not have been as noticeable there).

@Bigmaca wrote:

As for checking De-Frag where can I find that information? 

It's a setting for each share (click on the settings wheel on the share page).

auto-defrag.png

@Bigmaca wrote:

Hi Stephen B, 

I don't know if I even use all those services. I literally use it for backing up files and using plex to stream my media. 

I'd start by disabling several of these services and see if anything changes.  If you use Windows, then disable AFP.  Also disable ReadyDLNA, NFS, and File Search.  In addition disable auto-defrag for each share.

If that seems to resolve the problem, then I'd re-enable auto defrag and file search (one at a time).

Are you using any of the scheduled maintenance functions (on the volume settings wheel)?

Message 4 of 6
Bigmaca
Aspirant

I'll go through Plex and see if there is any auto de frag processes. 

That's very true about what you say in reference to the move, the server was in a different place. 

I'll start going through the settings and will let you know. Thanks so much for your help. 

Message 5 of 6
Bigmaca
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB. After doings some trial and error on the settings for a few days I think it's the file search function that was make that happen, and the fact that plex was periodically optimising my library.

thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements