× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Active directory permission trouble after rsync backup.

xstreamflow
Aspirant

Active directory permission trouble after rsync backup.

Hi,

We have two readynas units being used for data storage in our business. Both units are joined to the same domain.

The primary unit (Readynas PRO running 4.2.26) has two main shares - "data" and "admin". All domain users have access to "data", but only a certain group of users is allowed access to "admin". The permissions were set up according to the guide available elsewhere on this forum, and the whole thing works fine.

A second unit (Readynas 316 running 6.1.9) serves as a backup destination, and is configured to be an exact mirror of the primary NAS box (in order that we can "seamlessly" switch over to it should disaster strike). The base shares on the backup box have also been set up according to the guide, and when manually creating folders from a windows machine everything works as expected.

The problem however comes in when I run rsync backups to the backup box . It seems something goes wrong with the folder and file permissions, especially when the "admin" share is backed up.

When I browse to the "admin" share on the backup box using a windows machine, it seems none of the original AD file permissions of the copied files and folders have been retained. Instead of the expected permissions, I see users like "35002 (Unix User\35002)" instead of the expected AD users and groups. Obviously this causes problems, since I'm then unable to access the files and folders in the backed up share.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Active directory permission trouble after rsync backup.

This kind of failover isn't possible at this time. OS4 and OS6 are quite different and even if the IDs were somehow made to match as soon as you add/delete users in your AD or something like that they would differ again.

If you have a good config backup, if the array in the Pro was lost (e.g. due to bad drives) you could put new disks in, restore your config backup and restore your data from the backup on the 316, but that's not the failover you are after.
Message 2 of 5
xstreamflow
Aspirant

Good point. What I basically want to do is transfer ALL the data from the existing PRO to the 316, while retaining file permissions. We want to move over to using the new 316 with new drives as our primary box, since we've already lost a PRO of roughly the same age due to hardware failure recently.

What would be the best way to achieve this? (Edit : *if possible*) Seems unlikely due to the differences between how AD accounts are handled as mentioned by mdgm...
Message 3 of 5
jowee213_
Aspirant

I am having a similar issue with AD permissions not crossing over after Rsync Backup is done.
ReadyNas2100 > ReadyNas2100 both are on the domain.

the backup currently completes successfully from main unit (dcshare) to backup unit (dcshare2)
but when I try to access any of the files from dcshare2, it wont let me unless I use the dcshare2\admin account. I want to use my domain accounts to access the files. 🙂
the two shares are Departments and Users. the current permission on the folder state: its giving domain computers full control??
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure if this is possible.

Perhaps see if something like Robocopy from your PC works?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements