× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding Seagate IronWold Pro drives

Blues11
Luminary

Adding Seagate IronWold Pro drives

I have 4 bays used with 4TB drives in my 516. I just purchased 2 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro drives and I can't figure out how to get them into the drive chassis. The caddy or chassis has a slide-out piece of plastic that the drive is supposed to fit into.

The problem is that there are only two screw holes on the drives, one at or near each end. The drive caddy has two plastic nibs that stick out but only one is in the right place, near the back end. The other two (one on each sid)e look like they are supposed to stick into screw holes near the middle of the drive. However, there is no hole there.

Why is there a nib where there is no hole? Is the drive caddy supposed to be bent out of shape to accommodate the missing hole in the IronWolf Pro drives?

If someone knows the proper way to install these drives, please let me know. Thank you.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You need to remove the plastic mounting bracket (with the nibs), and use the screws that came with the NAS to attach the disks to the bottom of the tray.  One pair of holes will align with the mount points on the bottom of the disk.  That will still attach the drive firmly to the tray.

The instructions for removing the bracket are in the hardware manual (page 171 and following): http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf  Though the section overall is on adding a 2.5" disk, the procedure for removing the plastic mounting bracket still applies.  There's a similar guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/22894/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Adding-a-disk-to-desktop-models

@Blues11 wrote:

Why is there a nib where there is no hole?

When the NAS was designed (and likely when you purchased it) all disks had side center mount holes.  As disk capacity has increased, manufacturers have needed to maximize room for the platters inside the disks.  So center mount holes have been dropped on many disk models (and also center mount holes on the bottom).  This new arrangement of "alternative mount points" isn't full accomodated by your older NAS.   Currently shipping ReadyNAS have modified trays - with more bottom screw holes, so they will accomodate these larger disks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You need to remove the plastic mounting bracket (with the nibs), and use the screws that came with the NAS to attach the disks to the bottom of the tray.  One pair of holes will align with the mount points on the bottom of the disk.  That will still attach the drive firmly to the tray.

The instructions for removing the bracket are in the hardware manual (page 171 and following): http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf  Though the section overall is on adding a 2.5" disk, the procedure for removing the plastic mounting bracket still applies.  There's a similar guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/22894/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Adding-a-disk-to-desktop-models

@Blues11 wrote:

Why is there a nib where there is no hole?

When the NAS was designed (and likely when you purchased it) all disks had side center mount holes.  As disk capacity has increased, manufacturers have needed to maximize room for the platters inside the disks.  So center mount holes have been dropped on many disk models (and also center mount holes on the bottom).  This new arrangement of "alternative mount points" isn't full accomodated by your older NAS.   Currently shipping ReadyNAS have modified trays - with more bottom screw holes, so they will accomodate these larger disks.

Message 2 of 3
Blues11
Luminary

StephenB, thank you for your rapid response. I followed your guidance and the first of the new drives is currently syncing. And I appreciate you taking the time to explain about how manufacturers chose to remove side screw holes to increase platter size.

Again, thanks much.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements