× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding a BackUPS Pro using serial COM port

paulpa
Follower

Adding a BackUPS Pro using serial COM port

Hi,

I have just purchased a Startech ICUSB2321F which uses the FTDI FT232R chip with the intention of using it to connect an old APC BackUPS Pro with a serial port to a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo2 with a USB port.  (The Netgear ReadyNAS Dashboard supports monitoring and display of UPS.)

On connecting the UPS to the NAS via the Startech cable the NAS recognises the USB device, as shown by the following output of "lsusb":

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

The NAS is running the Debian 6 Squeeze distribution with the following Linux version, as shown by the output of "uname -a"

Linux lamanai 2.6.31.8.duov2 #1 Thu Apr 18 18:24:47 HKT 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux

I think I require a copy of ftdi_sio.ko and usbserial.ko drivers built for this version of Linux but have been unable to locate any on the internet.  Note I have downloaded package linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood_2.6.32-48squeeze6_armel.deb and extracted the files but when I do insmod using these I get the error:

insmod: error inserting 'ftdi_sio.ko': -1 Invalid module format

I do not think I can build the drivers from source on the NAS because it lacks a development environment and the repositories no longer appear to be available?  If I try to do "apt-get install gcc" on my ReadyNAS I get errors of this form:

Err http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main libc-bin armel 2.11.3-4
        404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.26 80]

And does this NAS have the space on its OS partition to store the necessary development tools and Linux kernal headers assuming they are available? (what is the name of the OS partition for a space query?)

Any assistance or suggestions on these matters would be appreciated.

Paul

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS partition on the Duo v2 has a 4GB capacity.

We don't support using the serial port on a UPS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS partition on the Duo v2 has a 4GB capacity.

We don't support using the serial port on a UPS.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements