× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding a volume into ReadyNAS 214: disabling X-raid will cause data loss or is it safe?

studioETRE
Aspirant

Adding a volume into ReadyNAS 214: disabling X-raid will cause data loss or is it safe?

Hello:

I've a ReadyNAS 214 with two 3TB disks, used as X-raid.

Now I want to add two 2 TB disks, but after I installed them, when I clic format, I get an error that says the disk should be equal or bigger to the existing ones.

If I'm not wrong, the system is trying to add them to the existing X-raid volume. But for me it would be also ok to make another volume.

But the button "new volume" is greyed out, I guess the only way is to disable the X-raid.

Since the data on the existing volume can't be lost, is it safe to disable? It would be transformed in a RAID-1 volume, or would be formatted?

Thanks in advance

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding a volume into ReadyNAS 214: disabling X-raid will cause data loss or is it safe?

X-RAID is an application built on top of RAID that simplifies expansion.  The underlying RAID isn't proprietary, it is built on standard Linux tools.  It is limited to a single volume, so you do need to switch to FlexRAID.

It's safe to disable X-RAID.  Your existing volume is already RAID-1, and the data won't be lost if you switch to FlexRAID.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding a volume into ReadyNAS 214: disabling X-raid will cause data loss or is it safe?

X-RAID is an application built on top of RAID that simplifies expansion.  The underlying RAID isn't proprietary, it is built on standard Linux tools.  It is limited to a single volume, so you do need to switch to FlexRAID.

It's safe to disable X-RAID.  Your existing volume is already RAID-1, and the data won't be lost if you switch to FlexRAID.

Message 2 of 3
studioETRE
Aspirant

Thankyou

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements