× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding disk while distributing

Andreasson
Follower

Adding disk while distributing

Hello!

I have one ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with 2*2 TB disks. Today I bought another 2 2TB disks, so I have all the bays full.
I was adding one disk while the NAS was online (which I read was ok), but when I just had the first disk inserted, and before I had added the last disk, it rang on the door and I had to open it. When I came back did I see in Frontview that the NAS already had startet to redistribute the storage. Now my questions is like this: Is it possible to add the last disk now, before it is completed or should I wait until it's done with the third disk?
I just want to be sure before I do something I later would regret in loss of data or something. Why do I want to do it now? Because it will take more than 18 hours to complete the disk and will go away for some days, and that would before the 2 disk would be completed if the last disk will take the same ammount of time. It would be nice to have it off my back before that and be able to turn off the NAS.

Oh, and excuse my english, it's not my primary language and I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks in advance
Andreasson
Message 1 of 2
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Adding disk while distributing

you can add the 4th disk, it will be initialized and expanded after the 3rd disk has finished.

It may or may not take a reboot in between the disks, depending on the state of the array.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements