× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding drives to NV+,not full capacity?

chileman
Aspirant

Adding drives to NV+,not full capacity?

Hi,

First off, apologies for any stupid questions...new to the ReadyNAS world and fumbling about at the moment! Be gentle with me...

Currently I use a WinXP box with with 4x 1Tb drives in it, for holding all the household files, docs, movies etc. Wanted to move to something a bit more elegant (and maintenance free!) so got a Netgear 4bay NV+, as well as a new 3Tb drive for it.

So... my thoughts were that I could add the 3Tb (blank) drive, and add 3 other data-populated drives from the XP box, leaving me with (say): 1x 3Tb disk (empty), 3x 1Tb disk (populated). I would not be interested in any data redundancy as the data is backed up or available elsewhere.

I added the new 3Tb drive to NV+ (on it's own) and it is reporting only a quarter of it is free. I understand from the Netgear Manual (page 100) that in RAID-0 that is as expected. So my question is: If I create the configuration described above, is this possible? Would the full volume of (1x 3Tb + 3x 1Tb) be available? When I add the data-populated drives will the existing data be wiped?

Hope someone can help...be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gareth
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Adding drives to NV+,not full capacity?

3TB drives are not supported by the NV+ (or any other Sparc ReadyNAS for that matter). 2TB is the limit for the NV+. See http://www.readynas.com/hcl

If you want to use 3TB drives you need an x86 ReadyNAS (e.g. NVX, Ultra, Pro).
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements