× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding in a 10Gbe card to 516 ...

peet1
Guide

Adding in a 10Gbe card to 516 ...

So I bought a few ReadyNAS 516 based on the fact that it was promoted and promised that there would be a supported upgrade path to 10Gbe.  I'd not been watching the lack of progress on this, but now I have a client looking for the upgrade I told them would be availble.

What on earth happened? The readynas 516 was relaeased years ago now and there is still no 10Gbe upgrade path. What on earth happened? Why isn't this released? When eill it be? If it's been scrapped as an option and loyal customers are once again bent-over where on earth is the statement from Netgear?

Sorry for being so frustrated, but it's hard not to be when it seems as though we've been "creatively" sold a product and I look like an ass for telling my client what netgear told us.

Cheers.Peet

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Adding in a 10Gbe card to 516 ...

There is an existing thread on this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/10G-on-RN516/td-p/905587

Unfortunately we won't be releasing a 10G upgrade kit for the RN516.

Message 2 of 9
peet1
Guide

@mdgm-ntgr: So this is the official channel with which Netgear deseminated the this pretty important info? Is there a press release or a KB? Something besides a thread in the the forum? Any reason why this was used *very heavily* as a selling point, but then not offered?

Peet

Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am following up the lack of an 10GbE upgrade option again with our product management and engineering teams.

Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was not at NETGEAR at the time the RN516 was launched so I'm not sure on all the details of what transpired. I have confirmation that we won't be able to offer 10GbE upgrade kits for the RN516.

There is a user suggestion in the other thread I linked to as what might work, but it wouldn't be supported and would void the warranty.

We did update the datasheet quite a while ago now to remove references to a 10GbE upgrade for the RN516.

Message 5 of 9
peet1
Guide

Updating the data sheet after a customer purchases the product, doesn't do much for that customer. I hope you and the rest of the folks at Netgear understand it's shenanigans like this that cause customers and partners to look elsewhere for solutions.
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I understand this. It is an unfortunate situation but for the moment there is nothing we can do unfortunately.

Message 7 of 9
peet1
Guide

Hopefully this thread can be pointed out to the decision-makers.

If there is even the most remote chance that a promised feature will be pulled,*don't advertise it as a selling point*! It makes both Netgear an your partners look unreliable/untrustworthy. We already had a hard enough time explaining that virtually brand new ReadyNAS's were EOL'd when the ReadyNAS 6 boxes were released.

Thanks.Peet
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the feedback. I had already brought this thread to the attention of product management and I have passed your additional feedback on.

This is an unfortunate situation and I brought the thread I linked to to the attention of the product management team at the time. The thread I linked to started back before I joined NETGEAR.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements