× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding more disk didnt increase my capacity

Aous94
Follower

Adding more disk didnt increase my capacity

Hello, I was using my ReadyNas with 2 x 4TB WD Red drives, working on RAID 0.

i was planning to expand my storage and ordered a 12 TB Ironwolf Drive.

i added the 12TB to the array, then formatted it. it automatically took the drive but now i dont see an increase in storage capacity, the readynas says its SYNCING and am still having 8TB storage only and it changed to RAID 5, what can i do now to increase the capacity or change to XRAID perhaps but am new to this and afraid to loose the data, backing up the data somewhere else will be quite difficult now (not impossible) since around 8TB is used and heavy files.

any suggestions

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Adding more disk didnt increase my capacity

Hi @Aous94

Welcome to the Community!

Adding a disk on a Flex-RAID RAID 0 setup will convert it to RAID 5 to add protection to your data. The reason why you still have 8TB of data is because of the unused space (8TB), this is due to the disks you already have (4TB) which limits you to this capacity since it's the smallest volume you have.

If you have a single volume, changing to X-RAID should not affect your data and will auto expand your volume. You will not be able to turn it on if it's not on single volume RAID.

It would be best to backup your data before changing to X-RAID and finish syncing first.

Another method is to destroy the volume and create a new one using X-RAID. Again, backup is always advised. You can go to page 38 using this manual

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Adding more disk didnt increase my capacity

Hi @Aous94

Welcome to the Community!

Adding a disk on a Flex-RAID RAID 0 setup will convert it to RAID 5 to add protection to your data. The reason why you still have 8TB of data is because of the unused space (8TB), this is due to the disks you already have (4TB) which limits you to this capacity since it's the smallest volume you have.

If you have a single volume, changing to X-RAID should not affect your data and will auto expand your volume. You will not be able to turn it on if it's not on single volume RAID.

It would be best to backup your data before changing to X-RAID and finish syncing first.

Another method is to destroy the volume and create a new one using X-RAID. Again, backup is always advised. You can go to page 38 using this manual

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements