× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After 4 1/2 years. Disappointment.

Ezechias
Aspirant

After 4 1/2 years. Disappointment.

The Ultra 2 Plus has been a very good companion over 4 years but seems that it's time for retirement. When I decided to go for the ultra 2 PLUS one at 400+ $, it was for the reliability, expansion and all the nice services (DLNA, FTP ....) it was offering. Now, the "addons" page won't even load for no reason on MAC or Windows, with IE, Firefox, Chrome or Safari (I tried them all). DLNA service will now be available on one TV and not on another, and the Tv's haven't changed over the 4 years. Before a ReadyNAS moderator starts blaming the Tv firmware, note that when I click "rescan media file" on the ReadyNAS, it appears again on the list of DLNA servers on the devices. Then for no reason, disappears again.

Error message as "out of range +12v ..." actually triggered an RMA under warranty, some weeks ago and I got a new NAS (same model), after 4 1/2 years. Still, problems keeps going and when reading the forums (u start when u get an avalanche of issues), I went O.M.Gosh..., too many people with different issues.

By conclusion, there are serious concerns having either this specific model or NetGear NAS equipment for long term usage. At some point, you get tired browsinf the web for solutions, and NetGear support (who r great but ...) remote accessing your equipment three times a year. Can't it sit there and work !!! Is there a software time bomb to start messing around nearing the 5 years warranty covering ????

Now shopping for Synology. No more NetGear.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On forums the small number of users having problems tend to be the most vocal. You will see the same thing for any product from any vendor.

Btw the Ultra 2 Plus (RNDP200U) has a 3 year limited hardware warranty, not 5 years. The Pro 2 (RNDP2000) has a 5 year limited hardware warranty. So it's surprising support gave you an RMA. An RMA with an expired warranty is going well above and beyond.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

If I look at your case I see that you setup your unit back in October 2011 and that your volume is 85% full.

If you haven't already I would think backing up your data, putting in some new disks e.g. SeaGate NAS disks, and restoring your data from backup would be advisable. I would also suggest keeping your volume usage down to around 80-85%.

Your ST2000DL003 disk has CC32 firmware which is known to have issues for NAS use (unfortunately SeaGate hasn't made a firmware update for drives with CC32 firmware).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On forums the small number of users having problems tend to be the most vocal. You will see the same thing for any product from any vendor.

Btw the Ultra 2 Plus (RNDP200U) has a 3 year limited hardware warranty, not 5 years. The Pro 2 (RNDP2000) has a 5 year limited hardware warranty. So it's surprising support gave you an RMA. An RMA with an expired warranty is going well above and beyond.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

If I look at your case I see that you setup your unit back in October 2011 and that your volume is 85% full.

If you haven't already I would think backing up your data, putting in some new disks e.g. SeaGate NAS disks, and restoring your data from backup would be advisable. I would also suggest keeping your volume usage down to around 80-85%.

Your ST2000DL003 disk has CC32 firmware which is known to have issues for NAS use (unfortunately SeaGate hasn't made a firmware update for drives with CC32 firmware).

Message 2 of 9
Ezechias
Aspirant

Hi MDGM,

I have eventually experience an improved stability with my new WD RED HDD, as opposed tio the SeaGate one. As for the DLNA support, seems that Samsung TV is having trouble when I read other Samsumg forums. Regarding my NAS, I will do the backup and restore when I order a new HDD. Is my current issue related to a max out partition by the NAS OS? Would I need to do that every 3 years ?

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Ezechias wrote:

Is my current issue related to a max out partition by the NAS OS? Would I need to do that every 3 years ?

If you mean a full OS partition, then the symptoms I see here don't point to that.

It is something to keep an eye on, especially if you use ReadyDLNA.  There is an add-on that you should install, that moves the DLNA cache from the OS partition to the data volume.  The link for the ultra is here: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0-x86.bin

This is a "toggle" install.  It doesn't show up in the installed add-on list.  If you try to install it again, it will silently uninstall itself.  So be careful about that.

Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was thinking that after 4 and a half years it could be nice to have a fresh, clean filesystem.

Message 5 of 9
Ezechias
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

I did a configuration backup and did a Factory reset. The system is now up and I have restored the config file (share links, services, etc...). No actual data is yet copied but the NAS seems to be having same delay issues. Do you advise to start the config from scratch when you mean Fresh Start ?

Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Restoring the config should be fine, but it is advisable to re-install add-ons you were using before (if you still wish to use them) before restoring the config.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "delay issues"?

Has the initial resync triggered by the factory reset completed?

Message 7 of 9
Ezechias
Aspirant

Oops. I read your message after restoring the config first. Now that am trying to reinstall the add-ons, it says "existing service conflict, aborting install".

Message 8 of 9
Ezechias
Aspirant

Re: After 4 1/2 years.

After one month trial and error and lots of observation, here's what I've experienced.

- Latest Chrome (version 49.x.x.x) and Firefox (v44.x.x) browser, on MAC, freezes when opening the "installed" section of the add-on.

- Safari on a MAC does open the "installed" add-on page with some delays (30 seconds for the page to load).

- The ReadyNas DLNA server somehow disappeared from the available sources of my 3 year old smart tv, but was correctly available on another Smart Tv. Then I tested today that it was due to activating the ethernet "teaming" capability on the NAS.  Now, both ethernet ports operates independently and DLNA appears again as a Tv source.

- When I was having issues, I did a config Backup and Restored everything after formatting. It somehow restored all problems with it. The good practice was to backup the data, format, restore data and reconfigure from scratch. I.e. setup each and every share folder, permission and users. Now everything is right again.

Am just happy that all services are up again. I've realised how dependent everybody was on the NAS.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements