× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After 6.7.5 update on Ultra 4, I sporadically lose MS networking.

w0wbagger
Aspirant

After 6.7.5 update on Ultra 4, I sporadically lose MS networking.

Hey folks, I've got 4 older ReadyNASes, each successfully running the new firmware (so glad that you've even unofficially decided to support this!). Each of them have 8TB storage. I've upgraded all of them recently to 6.7.5, and while three of them seem to be working fine, my Ultra 4 seems to be losing MS Networking capability sporadically. 

I come in to the office and usually overnight it has stopped responding to our windows machines. I can still see it on RAIDar, can log in and see shares using the admin panel, but I have to reboot it to see the shares. There are no error messages in the logs, and it still responds to a power button press (the LED shows space remaining).

I know the Ultra 4 is technically unsupported, so this may finally require me to EOL it, but has anyone else had this problem? There's a warning not to go to a previous version of the firmware, but what is likely to happen if I do, since the current firmware doesn't seem to be working. Haven't tried the next beta yet, but also haven't seen anything indicating that my particular problem is something addressed by it.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 5
w0wbagger
Aspirant

Re: After 6.7.5 update on Ultra 4, I sporadically lose MS networking.

Sorry, I should say that I can see the shares using the admin panel, but trying to browse to it from any of my office PC's doesn't work (they can't even see the box). Almost like something caused SMB to fail. 

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Actually it sounds like SMB might be crashing.

When you lose access, are you still seeing the green stripe on SMB in system->settings->services?

Message 3 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello w0wbagger,

Have you noticed if you were getting this same problem when you were running OS4 on this legacy unit? Maybe you want to also try turning off and on the SMB.

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
w0wbagger
Aspirant

Here's where we stand now. I was backing My Ultra 4 up to a ReadyNAS Pro 4. To see what happens, this morning we made our Pro 4 our primary NAS, now backing up to the Ultra 4. We'll see if it continues to occur (thinking maybe it's overheating?) If it does, I'll check the SMB box to see if the green line is no longer lit. 

We were not seeing any of this behaviour until this latest firmware. Our previous firmware was 6.7.0.

Will update if it recurs with the swapped NAS's.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements