× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After creating new encripted X-RAID volume on 3x2TB and 3x4TB disks the volume does use only 6x2

GJNA
Aspirant

After creating new encripted X-RAID volume on 3x2TB and 3x4TB disks the volume does use only 6x2TB

Hi experts

I use my ReadyNAS Pro (OS 6.10.3) for many year without problems, it is filled with 3x2TB disks and 3x4TB disks in a X-Raid config using up all space totaling up to 14TB RAID5 volume space.

But I wanted to convert it to a encripted volume so made a backup and created a new encripted volume of all 6 disks but after resyncing it only uses 2TB on all 6 disk totaling to 10TB RAID5 volume space. So than I removed a 4TB disk to force a disk scan and after resync it and than did it with the second 4TB disk and waited it to finish resync but even after that it was stil not using the extra space on the 4TB disks. what can I do to make the X-Raid volume to expand?

Regards,

Laban

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: After creating new encripted X-RAID volume on 3x2TB and 3x4TB disks the volume does use only 6x2

@GJNA wrote:

Hi experts

I use my ReadyNAS Pro (OS 6.10.3) for many year without problems, it is filled with 3x2TB disks and 3x4TB disks in a X-Raid config using up all space totaling up to 14TB RAID5 volume space.

But I wanted to convert it to a encripted volume so made a backup and created a new encripted volume of all 6 disks but after resyncing it only uses 2TB on all 6 disk totaling to 10TB RAID5 volume space. So than I removed a 4TB disk to force a disk scan and after resync it and than did it with the second 4TB disk and waited it to finish resync but even after that it was stil not using the extra space on the 4TB disks. what can I do to make the X-Raid volume to expand?

I've seen this before - I believe it's a known issue in OS-6. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-Volume-not-expanding-with-...

I think all you can do is give up on the encryption.  Or get two more 4 TB drives, and then build another volume with all the disks being the same size.

Though obviously, different folks will have different opinions on this.  But personally I don't see much point to encrypting the disks - I don't see enough security benefit to be worth the hassle. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@GJNA wrote:

Hi experts

I've seen this before - I believe it's a known issue in OS-6. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-Volume-not-expanding-with-...

I think all you can do is give up on the encryption.  Or get two more 4 TB drives, and then build another volume with all the disks being the same size.

Though obviously, different folks will have different opinions on this.  But personally I don't see much point to encrypting the disks - I don't see enough security benefit to be worth the hassle. 

Message 2 of 3
GJNA
Aspirant

i indeed saw the message

Skipping X-RAID auto-expansion on encrypted pool data

in the rn-expand.log

so it was a nice try but will convert back to no encription 😞

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements