× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After firmware update to 6.9.0 my backup software can't work properly over SMB

knKgLhr
Star

After firmware update to 6.9.0 my backup software can't work properly over SMB

Hey, looks like latest firmware update somehow broken my backup pipeline.

I'm using Veeam Endpoint to make automatic everyday backups to the NAS over SMB.

But after firmware update it can't work properly due to this error:

Error: Incorrect function. Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}.

I've submitted a support case to the Veeam Support as well, but this firmware update is an only one change I to my NAS and PC before this error started to appear.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 52

Accepted Solutions
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Re: After firmware update to 6.9.0 my backup software can't work properly over SMB

@knKgLhr

I reproduced the issue using veeam Agent for windows,

See error message "Error: Incorrect function. Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}."

Developter is checking the issue.

Thanks for your report.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 52

All Replies
Vinz
Aspirant

Similar issue here. With the latest firmware update 6.9.0 my RN104 no longer backup anything. 

When I looked at it this morning it shown every backups on "processing".

I restarted the NAS, they shown as "canceled". Tried to manualy start them, they are still at "processing", when normaly it took a few minutes to complete...

Message 2 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@Vinz wrote:

Similar issue here. With the latest firmware update 6.9.0 my RN104 no longer backup anything. 

When I looked at it this morning it shown every backups on "processing".

I restarted the NAS, they shown as "canceled". Tried to manualy start them, they are still at "processing", when normaly it took a few minutes to complete...

If you are using the windows protocol in a NAS backup job....

Netgear has confirmed one problem here, and is investigating a second.

Message 3 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Hey, StephenB!

Could you please clarify, did Netgear confirmed the ReFs.SetFileIntegrity problem?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 52
StephenB
Guru

knKgLhr wrote:

Could you please clarify, 

Oops- I had a brain fart. Smiley Embarassed The confirmation was for a different issue. 

I did ask them to look into the SMB backup issues, but haven't heard anything yet.

Message 5 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Ah, thanks anyways, looking forward to any news, it's pretty nervous to have backups pipline stopped =D

Message 6 of 52
ScaryGary
Tutor

+1 here. Seeing the same issue with a few virtual machines using Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0.0.700 after upgrading a ReadyNAS 314 to 6.9.0.

Message 7 of 52
cpu8088
Virtuoso

similar situation here with pro 6 firmware 6.9.0

incremental backup job scheduled just stuck with "processing"  even the job has been done.

now reverted back to 6.8.1.  but i hate the pop up notification that tells me to upgrade to 6.9.0.

how to disable this notification?

Message 8 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

BTW I wonder why 6.9.0 is not present at the downloads section?

https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Is it revoked or something?

Can we downgrade to 6.8.1 without trouble?

Message 9 of 52
StephenB
Guru

It is not revoked, it is just an oversight.

Netgear recommends against downgrading, but some posters here have done it anyway (and were successful).

Message 10 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Thanks for your reply, StephenB!

I've sucessfully reverted to the 6.8.1 and now Veeam works fine.

It's sad, I liked new features of 6.9.0.

Will wait for any fixes / updates on the problem keeping 6.8.1.

Message 11 of 52
Edouard
Tutor

Same problem with RN102. Stuck in progress.

Message 12 of 52
Edouard
Tutor

Some people said than they successfuly reverted the upgrade. Can you give the procedure to acheive that?

Message 13 of 52
bedlam1
Prodigy

Download the correct version, for your NAS Model, of OS 6.8.1 HERE and upload it to your ReadyNAS using System/Settings/Manual Install Firmware

At your own risk of course, but should work

Message 14 of 52
Kimera
Guide

Reverting (downgrading) to ReadyNAS OS 6.8.1 from 6.9.0 could be a workaround to fix the issue but, also, it could be risky.

I'm very curious about how this issue (or issues if there relationship with other components/services) is going to be fixed...

AFAIK I see that ReadyNAS OS 6.9.0 (19/10/2017) is still available (it was not withdrawned/revoked) with regard to what a user asked few posts above (Download link works).

See also this other thread.

Message 15 of 52
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@knKgLhr

I reproduced the issue using veeam Agent for windows,

See error message "Error: Incorrect function. Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}."

Developter is checking the issue.

Thanks for your report.

Message 16 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Yey, thanks, @evan2!

Looking forward to the update with a fix.

Message 17 of 52
atb48
Guide

So, none of my backups have worked since "upgrading" to FW6.9! This thread is marked as "SOLVED", but the only "solution" seems to be to downgrade to 6.8 - which Netgear do not recommend. I found 2 download links, one claims 6.8.1 to be the "latest" the other provides 6.9.

When/where is Netgear going to provide a clear statement and provide the solution?  Hardly the level of service expected.

Message 18 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Hey, @atb48

I've marked it as solved since now I know Netgear is aware of bug and working on a fix.

And I reverted to the 6.8.1 without noticeable problemswhich solved the initial issue I had.

So, for now there is a known workaround - just downgrade to the 6.8.1 (it seems safe to do) or take some patience and wait for the firmware update with a fix.

I hope new Beta updates channel introduced at 6.9.0 will help to avoid such issues at the release updates channel as now more people will be able to participate the beta testing.

Message 19 of 52
atb48
Guide

Hi  knKgLhr,

Thanks for the clarification.  I would rather not downgrade, and I had hoped to find information directly from Netgear that there is an issue and how it is to be resolved.

There appear to be many Discusion Threads, all with differing takes on the subject!  However I have now found one that seems to provide more acurate information, stating that the issue will be handled by a hot-fix and not a firmware release - BUT such fixes are only applied after a reboot is carried out!

Anyway I followed the procedure and still have not yet been successful!  For alternative thread see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/backups-from-pc-failing-after-upgrade/td-p/1408...

Message 20 of 52
StephenB
Guru

It might be worth trying again later today.  The hot-fix distribution might take a while to propogate.

Message 21 of 52
atb48
Guide

An update - after rebooting, still using FW6.9.0, the hot-fix mentioned to the link that I provided seemed to provide the solution.  It was not obvious that any hot-fix had been downloaded/applied, but manual backups all have suceeded!!

So, yes the 6.9.0 backup issue now does seem to have fixed, but you have to know that a reboot is required. 

Message 22 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The hot-fix will be installed within a week on systems that are not rebooted and any systems that are rebooted or freshly updated to 6.9.0 should have the hot-fix downloaded and applied within 15 minutes of the system starting up again.

Message 23 of 52
ltailby
Initiate

Unfortunately v6.9.0+4 does not seem to have fixed my Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0.0.700 issues.  Still getting 
Error: Incorrect function. Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}.

in the backup job and a file of 30,844KB being written to the NAS drive.

i even started a completely new backup chain to a different share and got the same result.  Is this problem still being looked at or was 6.9.0+4 meant to be the solution?

Thanks!

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 24 of 52
Kimera
Guide

AFAIK your issue could potentially be totally different to the one (or ones) that bitted (to bite) our units after the 6.9.0 deployment...maybe the effect is the same (backup job: no go, but causes can be very differents).

Would be great to have a sort of Hot-Fix(es)'s changelog about ReadyNAS OS 6.9.0+3 and 6.9.0+4, just to understand which software components they touched and why so one can figure out if the issue is/isn't potentially adressed by those variations.

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements