× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After several backups "I get Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on <host name>"

mbonadio
Aspirant

After several backups "I get Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on <host name>"

I am on the latest version of 6.4.1 on my ReadyNas 102 and El Capitan, and after a few months of backups. I get the dreaded

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on <backup host name>. To improve reliability, Time Machine must start a new backup for you"

I created a bug with Apple and their response was as follows

This appears to be an issue with unreliable AFP implementations on some 3rd party NAS boxes.  Increasing the band size doesn’t help (and may in fact make it worse)  The problem is that after a network disconnect/reconnect the server fails to synchronize state with the client correctly.  If updating to the latest version of the server firmware has not resolved the issue then there is not much else we can do.

I tried increasing the bandsize and this did not have do anything to the reliability, even though logically I would have thought it would be a better idea to have larger blocks.

The reason I purchased the readynas was to do Timemachine backups of all my macs and now I'm having to use a USB drive. I tried creating a support ticket with Netgear but they want me to purchase a support warrenty which is ridiculous since this is a software issue and not hardware related.

Has anyone else been able to reliably get Timemachine to work for a period of time.

Thanks

Michael

Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: After several backups "I get Time Machine completed a verification #26284527

My understanding from looking into this in the past is that this affects not only NAS units but also backing up to the Time Capsule. On Apple's own discussion website I see reports of users running into this issue backing up to the Time Capsule. So as far as I can tell the problem is clearly somewhere at Apple's end, and they should know this. It doesn't appear to be an easy issue to reproduce and takes a long time, so it's probably not an easy one for them to try and resolve.

6.4.1 includes the latest AFP/Time Machine support for Linux available at the time we released 6.4.1 and the Release Notes for the version released at the end of last month do not mention Time Machine. If Apple is sure the problem is not at their end it would be nice if Apple submitted fixes for the Netatalk package (http://netatalk.sourceforge.net) or any other relevant packages to address it, to benefit the many Apple users who backup to using Time Machine to NAS units using Linux but I would be surprised if they did this.

The Time Capsule has a single non-user replaceable hard drive which is a major reason why at this point in time I have never bought one myself. In my view if it had two user replaceable hard drives in RAID-1 it would be a much more useful product.

NAS units such as the ReadyNAS address a need that none of Apple's products fill for a Time Machine backup destination.

Regarding your NETGEAR Support case, if it was suspected it could have been a hardware issue then the agent would have done a preliminary hardware check to see if this was likely once he had PoP. As this is not a hardware issue and the software support warranty had expired the support contract was offered for purchase.

Message 2 of 15
mbonadio
Aspirant

Re: After several backups "I get Time Machine completed a verification #26284527

Thankyou for responding, but it seems that this is a problem that many users are facing and there doesn't seem to be any resolution or work getting done to identify what is the root cause. Apple says it's the thirdparty provider, Netgear doesn't allow anyone to create a support case and redirects to the Community, and the end user is faced with reading pages of community posts where everyone is facing the same issue. I too purchased the readynas to do Timemachine backups, and now I'm backing up to a USB drive because I have little faith in the integrity of the backups.

How do we go about creating a support case with Netgear to diagnose the error. I'm more than happy to send logs to Netgear to help them diagnose the issues.

Thanks

Michael

Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm still seeing posts from last year of users of Apple's own Time Capsule running into this problem which would strongly indicate the problem is at their end. It can take quite some time to run into, so it's probably not an easy one for them to deal with (assuming they have been looking into it).

If you are within 90 days from the date of purchase you can simply open a case, outside that for a home model you would need a support contract for a software issue.

Message 4 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops: Duplicate.

Message 5 of 15
mbonadio
Aspirant

I am hesitant to pay $90 for a support case for something that is not hardware related and for what seems to be related to functionality that should be supported but doesn't work satisfactorily. It seems that multiple folks are having the same issue with Timemachine and since Netgear says Timemachine is supported then it should work. Passing the buck between Apple and Netgear leaves the end user in no mans land with no one taking responsibility for first diagnosing what the cause is and subsequently fixing the issue.

Based on the logs sent to Apple, Apple has stated that "The problem is that after a network disconnect/reconnect the server fails to synchronize state with the client correctly". I would like to know how Netgear plans to diagnose what is causing this issue and how to create a development bug that end users can track.

The reason I purchased the Readynas was to do Timemachine backups and now my backups are on a USB drive. This lack of support for Timemachine is beginning to sound like false advertising.

Thanks

Michael

Message 6 of 15
Gran_Maestro
Guide

@mdgm-ntgr Duplicate answer? Come on, is that all you have to it??

I guess just a standard response for a standard question.

Probably using copy & paste.

And, btw, putting the blame on Apple for something Netgear isn't able/willing to solve..  not so good..

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Gran_Maestro wrote:

@mdgm-ntgr Duplicate answer? Come on, is that all you have to it??

I guess just a standard response for a standard question.

Probably using copy & paste.

Cut this out, you (and some others) are skating on the edge of forum rules.  Criticizing Netgear is fine, going after individuals posters is not acceptablle here.

Since I don't work for Netgear, I don't need to be as polite as they are.  I will take action if threads become too contentious and if I see personal attacks.  

Message 8 of 15
mbonadio
Aspirant

I don't want this to be taken incorrectly, I truly appreciate the response that I have been given to help diagnose the issue from everyone. I think the issue is that when I called Netgear support they directed me to create a community post as the support guy said, that Netgear employees are on the community and they would be able to create a support ticket to help diagnose the issue.

It gets a little frustrating when there doesn't seem to be any responsibility taken when Timemachine doesn't work reliably on the Readnas. Even the website states that "ReadyNAS is fully compatible with the Apple Time Machine for remote or local file backup and recovery from Mac computers" however after a couple of backups, you are force to start a new backup which takes in excess of 30 hours on wired Etherenet.

I would just like to know what is causing the issue so that I can work out my plan forward, because at the moment I have a box sitting in my server room gathering dust and consuming electricty....

Thanks

Michael

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@mbonadio wrote:

I don't want this to be taken incorrectly...

My earlier post was not aimed at you, and I do appreciate that this is very frustrating for you and for others.

I wish I could help on the main problem, but I'm not a Mac user so I can't.

Message 10 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So are all your backups are all via wired Ethernet?

What model router/switch are you using?

So from the sounds of things you get the problem very regularly? Every few days or so?

Message 11 of 15
timemachineUser
Aspirant

Re: After several backups "I get Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on <h

Did you ever resolve this? I don't think it is the third party NAS (Netgear).

I recently had a similar problem with my Synology NAS.  

While it might have something to do with unreliable afp connections - the final result of wanting to get rid of your timemachine history is definitely an Apple issue.

After much research, I was able to recover my backups. I'm now running to 2 separate backups so if something ever does happen to one, then I have another. In general, I've been running a NAS TM backup for over a year with no issues previously.

Much more info here: http://thefunkstop.com/fix-corrupted-time-machine-backups/

good luck!

Message 12 of 15
mbonadio
Aspirant

Re: After several backups "I get Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on <h

Hi,

I've sort of given up and went to a USB drive for backups. Not ideal but at least it's reliable. I read your blog and I tried the same thing on my NAS drive, but couldn't get the Mac to accept the verification. Personally, I think it's got to do with the size of the backups. I'm backing up nearly 1tb and I think at that size something just can't take it. Things were going fine when the backup sizes were a lot smaller, but now after a couple of days the backups fail.

I'll be trying another backup soon, I just upgraded the readynas to the latest version and the mac is on a new version as well, so maybe something got fixed 🙂

Cheers

Michael

Message 13 of 15
timemachineUser
Aspirant

Hmmmm... That's interesting in regards to size. My backups are also large -- in theory after the first TM backup, it shouldn't make much of a difference since it is only backing up the delta. However I have seen others also mention that when their machine went into sleep or what closed for some reason, that they started receiving the error. Thus a larger backup might have a higher chance of that scenario happening.

Good luck!

Message 14 of 15
ekkis
Aspirant

I don't think it has to do with 3rd party components.  I'm having the same problem backing up against two different Time Capsules

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements