× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alert Email Set without error but none received

TheDoctor165
Aspirant

Alert Email Set without error but none received

Sorry if this was already asked and answered someone where.  I tried searching the forums but not sure the search function is working.  I posted a separate query about that here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/Does-quot-Search-in-Community-quot-Work-everything-...

Regarding the current inquiry.  I set up Alert emails and hit the send test email button.  After a few seconds I got a message that the test email was successfully sent, but I never received it.  Yes, I double checked that the alert contact had the correct spelling for the email.  I also checked the junk mail folder.  It was tested about 2 hours ago... I assume I should have gotten the alert by now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 10
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

Re: Alert Email Set without error but none received

P.S. I am using version 6.7.5 of the software

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What email provider are you using?

Message 3 of 10
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

My email provider is hosted by Hardhat Hosting and is linked to my business domain ie mail.plasticworksusa.com.  The alert was being sent to hotmail.com.   When I first tried it, I had the wrong password, so I was getting errors.   When I finally found the correct password for the account (dang... so many passwords these days!), it went through without an error.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@TheDoctor165 wrote:

My email provider is hosted by Hardhat Hosting and is linked to my business domain ie mail.plasticworksusa.com.  The alert was being sent to hotmail.com.   When I first tried it, I had the wrong password, so I was getting errors.   When I finally found the correct password for the account (dang... so many passwords these days!), it went through without an error.

This is still a problem?  Or is it resolved now?

Message 5 of 10
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

Yes... still  a problem.  From the ReadyNAS side the test message goes through and I get a message that it was successfully sent, but from my hotmail account... there is no mail.  I have check the hotmail account by sending email to it successfully, so it is something from the ReadyNAS side.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You are sending from xxx@hotmail.com to yyy@mail.plasticworksusa.com?  

Or are you doing something else?

Message 7 of 10
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

Interesting.... for some reason, my response last week did not post.  This time I am going to try putting in a screen shot.  Also, new information and follow-up query... I had a backup fail over the weekend.  No email alert was received.  This leads to another question: Is there a "sent" area where I can see if the server actually sent an alert?  I am attaching a screen shot that blanks out specific account info but should give you a clear idea of my email alert settings.

ReadyNASBKUPSettings.jpg

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try setting the "email account provider" field to Custom.  Did you enter the :465 at the end?  If so, don't.  Obviously we can't verify the SMTP server, the SMTP port, or the Use TLS setting  - you'd need to do that with your provider.

You could also try using your hotmail account (sending the email to either your hotmail account or your business account).  I do that with gmail.

Message 9 of 10
TheDoctor165
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Try setting the "email account provider" field to Custom.  I did set it to custom... however, once you add the other informaiton and hit "Send Test Message," it saves the info as a custom email account and substiutes the string you see for custom.  There is no way I can see to have it stay "Custom".

Did you enter the :465 at the end? If so, don't. This is info that got put in when I hit "Send Test Message".   

Obviously we can't verify the SMTP server, the SMTP port, or the Use TLS setting  - you'd need to do that with your provider.  I copied this info directly out of my oulook settings.  Outlook is working fine, so I am sure they are correct (I originally got the outlook settings from my host provider).

You could also try using your hotmail account (sending the email to either your hotmail account or your business account).  I do that with gmail.  Ok.  Well it does work sending from my hotmail account to my hotmail account and I guess I can live with that, but I much prefer having it work from my own mail server.  Once I got it going with my generic account, I was going to setup a dedicated account for the ReadyNAS admin.  I would then have one for each Ready NAS so I would know which unit is throwing the error.  Not sure how to do that if I use my hotmail account without creating a bunch of dummy hotmail accounts.  I know of no way to delete hotmail accounts when I am done with them, whereas, I can delete accounts on my mail server whenever I want.

BTW... thanx for the responses!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements