× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alerts not working after changes made by Google to switch to TFA

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Alerts not working after changes made by Google to switch to TFA

I had my alerts working just fine but with the change of Google To Two Factor Authenticating the alerts were no longer working. I deleted all the settings and am now trying to login with the Google icon above. All seems to go fine (sigining in via the webbrowser, with password and then the two factor code) and then I get the message if the NAS is allowed and I say oke and then it should be finished IO guess, but when I hit the apply and send message button at the bottom I do get the message that the SMTP server cannot be empty. The issue is I can't fill that in so what am I missing to get this to work?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Alerts not working after changes made by Google to switch to TFA

What does change with enabling the 2FA is a manual email notification config where you need to acquire an App password -> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en which has to be deployed to the REadyNAS config, replacing the Google account password.

Enabling 2FA on Google has no impact on already acquired authentication tokens (using the automated process) - but please be aware that these require regular (yearly if I have it right) renewing.

Have for a test just quickly changed to a manual config, to a Microsoft Account, and back to a Google Account on a x86 ReadyNAS on 6.10.2 using a Chrome Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit) on WIndows 10. Takes about 30 seconds to file the config and the token.

Could imagine there is a browser issue, or we face some Internet "security" software interfering with the "complex" Javascript.  Lack of insight, hard to help.

Message 2 of 4
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Thank you @schumaku I have been on the wrong foot all the time I realize now. I have read in the release notes from one of the fimrmware version that there was support for 2FA of Google and as such assumed that it worked right out of the box. The method you referred to is for connecting devices that don't support 2FA to your Google mail account. Anyway thank you I created app passwords for my two RN628X's and now my alerts are working again. Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Both the App password as well as the automatically fetched token (along with the config) does work regardless of the 2FA configuration. Especially on the automated process, you already are authenticated to the Google account with 2FA in the browser. For the runtime of submitting email notifications 2FA would be unhandy, isn't it?

Sometimes the items in the marketing are more marketing than real tech 8-)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements