× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alerts via Google

CharlesR
Guide

Alerts via Google

I know it was working with the 6.2 beta but not for some reason it won't send Alerts now. I have reentered my email address (google), clicked on Automatic then Apply. Every time I tell it to send a test message it spins for a while and reports unable to send...

Now I guess it hasn't worked since I put this drive into the Ultra 4. It was in a Ultra 2 Plus. I upgraded the Ultra 4 with another drive to OS 6.2 beta and then swapped drives. Everything else appears to be working great.
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Alerts via Google

Perhaps try an OS Re-install?
Message 2 of 10
CharlesR
Guide

Just tried it and it didn't help.

Looking around at Google I got the impression it should be using port 587 and not 465 with TLS. Just a glance and I'm not familiar with it at all...

Still can't send mail?
If you tried configuring your SMTP server on port 465 (with SSL) and port 587 (with TLS), but are still having trouble sending mail, try configuring your SMTP to use port 25 (with SSL).

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78775?hl=en
https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

Shouldn't matter that I changed my IP address from the previous NAS? Also, I tried another Google email address and it didn't work either. I have never had to configure the Google account before.
Message 3 of 10
CharlesR
Guide

Just for fun I manually installed the latest 6.2 beta (same version it already had installed) and it still won't send email. I tried using my wife's Google account as well with no luck.

I looked in the msmtp.log and there are no entries after Oct 01.

And as I think about it I believe the other day I received several emails (from the NAS) I should have received a number of days ago. Almost like they were being held. Might not have been the case as I don't remember all of the details.

Looking at the msmtp.queue.log it states "couldn't be sent - host not connected" With a few timeouts.

In the error.log it reports my RSA server certificate Common name doesn't match server name?
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It is working for me, just sent a test message to confirm.
Message 5 of 10
CharlesR
Guide

StephenB wrote:
It is working for me, just sent a test message to confirm.

Thanks! I think perhaps I have my IP address, NAS name and whatnot confused... perhaps it's not being resolving and or accepted.No luck. I tried assigning a new IP address and name.

Is there any way to delete the email queue? It looks like it has one.... perhaps one or more in the queue is throwing it off.

Or perhaps the entire OS is off. At times when I bring it up in the browser it never completes a page. It's always states Waiting for 192.168.1.20... perhaps I should try the other network adapter... couldn't hurt.
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It may be your gmail account settings. I have 2-step verification disabled, and access for less secure apps enabled. You change that at https://www.google.com/settings/security
Message 7 of 10
CharlesR
Guide

I checked both of those earlier. I'm beginning to think it's not related to mail... as I posted above quite often it never finishes loading a page. I just configured the other NIC with a new IP address and DNS servers and it's acting the same. Think I'll get another drive and do a fresh install. Perhaps even downgrade if that doesn't help. Trying to see if it's this drive... it has data I want (not backed up) but if I lose it that's fine. Just as soon not.

I can access it fine via my PC using SMB. No issues there.
Message 8 of 10
CharlesR
Guide

Well I inserted a new drive (Factory Default) and during the wizard it sent an email fine. Obviously the OS got confused in some matter. Doing a OS re-install and upgrading the firmware (to the same version) didn't correct it. I'm guessing all the swaps I did between machines the device's firmware and the hard drives version got out of whack.

Update: Once I copied the data to a USB drive on a PC I did a disk clean and re-installed the drive in the NAS. It automatically did a Factory Default and so far so good. Everything appears to be working great.
Message 9 of 10
CharlesR
Guide

Follow-up: I believe I know what caused the issue. As I ran into it again working with a Pro 4. Long story short changing IP addresses and creating a bond the NAS lost its DNS servers. Once I entered my router it starting working (again).
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements