× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: All disks DEAD - Everything works .... ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

littomalt
Aspirant

All disks DEAD - Everything works .... ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

Hi

yesterday all was good, today all 5 disks dead...

Raidar report Helaty

I dont think is is the disks that makes this issue, can it be the NAS box HW?

What are my options?

2019-05-14 14_40_44-ReadyNAS Frontview.png2019-05-14 14_38_28-NETGEAR RAIDar.png2019-05-14 14_36_27-ReadyNAS Frontview.png

Model: RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 19
StephenB
Guru

You are saying that everything works - including access to the web ui and the shares?

If that's correct, then the first thing to do is create (or update) your backup.

Then power down the NAS, and remove the disks (labeling them by slot).  Then test them in a windows PC using LifeGuard.  You can connect them with either SATA or a USB Adapter/Dock.

If you have a spare disk (not in the array), you can also try doing a factory install in the NAS while the disk tests are running.  If that is successful, then try powering up the NAS with that disk in each of the 6 slots.  That will test the SATA interfaces in the chassis.

Message 2 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

While I never had them all do it at once, I had a Pro6 with a mix of 7200 and 5900 RPM drives running OD4.2.something that would occasionally have one or more go "dead" even though all were actually fine.  I would remove each, renisert, let it re-sync, and all was fine for a while; then it would happen again.  I turned off drive spin-down, and it fixed the problem.  I later upgraded to OS6.0, and had no problems, even with spin-down enabled.

I came to the conclusion that differing spin-up times were confusing the NAS; but I dont have hard evidence, just circumstantial.

Message 3 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Thanks for reply StephenB,

Yes everything works, and i have 100% backup.

But this error must be from the OS not the disks, so I was hoping to find a less hardware intensive solution.

New info for you guys, I did open the NAS 14 days ago, removed all disks, to clean out dust etc.

When i rebooted 2 out of 5 disks did not kick in. I removed the 2 and pluged them one more time, then all 5 kiked in, and SMAR showed Healty.

Message 4 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark, thanks for reply

I will try to remove on HDD at a time, see whats happening. This shall be done with power on?

You write "running OD4.2" is that the firmware?

I run the latest RAIDiator 4.2.31. I dont think i can upgrade it to OS6?

I have had this running for years, with spin down enabled, no problem at all.

Disk 1-3 is WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 3726 GB - 5400 rpm

Disk 4-5 is WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 1863 GB - 7200 rpm

4-5 is older than 1-3

Message 5 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, I meant OS4.2, not OD.  That's the firmware family for legacy Intel NASes.  I switched to OS6 well before the version you are on.  I noticed the drive speed difference from the screen capture you provided, which is why I offered my experience of something perhaps similar. 

Yes, you should remove and replace the drives one at a time with power on.  Give the NAS time to report the removal before re-inserting.  Each will need to re-sync, so total time is going to be a lot.

Actually, you can switch to OS6 on an Ultra6.  You have to re-format the drives and you lose any Netgear support (including paid support), but not forum support.  There are a lot of positives about switching to OS6.  It's more modern and kept up to date and has fewer expansion limitations.  A big one is if your NAS dies, or you just want to upgrade to something faster, you can move the drives right into a new OS6 based NAS and just keep trucking.  No having to transfer the data because of the different file system (you already had to do that to upgrade to OS6).

It's a good idea to bump the memory up to at least 2GB before switching to OS6, but memory for an Ultra 6 is quite inexpensive these days.

Message 6 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Hi again, thanks for helping me with valuable info!

This evening I will try to resync disk 1 (i try the newest disks first) then 2-3-4-5

I have all data backed up on Jottacloud, so I may manage a restore, but jottacloud makes a zip file to download, and that may cause problem since zip + extracted is bigger than the NAS capasity.

Is there a setup page how to install OS6 on my nas?

Message 7 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Is this a good description for my upgrade case, from 4.2.31 to OS6?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-O...

Message 8 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

I will try to remove on HDD at a time, see whats happening. This shall be done with power on?

Not 100% sure if @Sandshark's answer is right for you.

If your goal is just to diagnose the status, then you could power down the NAS, remove drive 1, and reboot.  Then power down again, replace drive 1, remove drive 2 and power up.  If you don't write anything to the NAS, then that process will avoid the resyncs.

If you do this with the NAS powered up, then it will have to resync.

As far as mixed drive speeds go, I also had them running on my Pro-6 for some years.  The only time had an issue with a drive being declared dead was when a drive actually failed.  Hot-insertion of the replacement didn't work, as the disk drivers had shut down the SATA port when the first drive failed.  Rebooting the NAS solved that particular problem.  So I didn't see the issue that @Sandshark had.

Message 9 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Well, today the volumes cant be accessed, v4.x can now be upgraded.

I read this https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-O...

I googled to find OS but i cant find it...

Can sombody give me a linkt to the files?

PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin

and 

R4toR6_6.9.3.bin

Message 10 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

And suddenly i found the files myself...

https://mega.nz/#!jT5XySbC!QjfDoH-hH8lTH6f6I3Q6cOaSnwZWqIX7kwkDR9HdZX4

https://mega.nz/#!LXQEgIbD!o8kLBz8YEjJfG2qoDWadHWXDR25RXrBv5QH7ixx14jw

I installed R4toR6_6.9.5 .bin and did a reboot, RAIDar tells me thet system is up on OS 6.9.5. My NAS name has not changed.

After 10 mini\utes or so, boting stops at 92%, what is happening i dont know, now after 30 minutes still reports 92%

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Well, it is doing a factory default and creating a new RAID array.

Message 12 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Thanks for answer StephenB, glad you are with me.

After another 8 h letting booting sequense run, no change still 92%

I force switch of and switch on again, now, after 10 min it has stopped on 85%

Now it has run for 8 h, still 85%

I have a bad gut feelig about this 

I have 5 disks, 2+2+4+4+4 gbyte installed-

The only thing i did yesterday was running R4toR6_6.9.3.bin from front view + reboot

Any comments?

Message 13 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

🙂

I did a manual factory reset, now im up and running.

I can log in to web admin.

One problem i found is that in Win 7 file explorer Network dont show the NAS. Is there some tuning i have missed?

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

One problem i found is that in Win 7 file explorer Network dont show the NAS. Is there some tuning i have missed?

That's a common problem (both with 4.2.x and 6.x), and I haven't seen a sure fire solution for it.

You should be able to access the NAS shares anyway by entering \\nas-host-name or \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar (using the real hostname or ip address of course).

So try that, and let us know if that works or not.

Message 15 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

Thanks again.

When i write in explorer \\Modesty i dont get access

When i write \\192.168.x.xx i get a view of shares, but when i click on Modesty i get login and my credentials dont kick in.

I have to say, are this possible, to not be able to connect via explorer to NAS, i thougth that was the sole purpose.... 

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

Try opening the windows credential manager.  Delete any credential that might be in there for Modesty.  Then add a new credential (using a NAS username and it's password).

If you want to test this first, run CMD (from the windows search bar).  Then enter

net use * /delete
net use t: \\Modesty\sharename /user:username userpassword

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions.  If it prompts, let it proceed.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter T.

Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and slash direction.

Message 17 of 19
littomalt
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@littomalt wrote:

"Try opening the windows credential manager.  Delete any credential that might be in there for Modesty.  Then add a new credential (using a NAS username and it's password).

If you want to test this first, run CMD (from the windows search bar).  Then enter

net use * /delete

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions.  If it prompts, let it proceed.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter T.

Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and slash direction."

Thanks

I changed \\Modesty to \\NASip, then it mounted

In WIN7 should i use switch /persistent for the net use command.

Is it posible to reach share from WAN side like a remote mounted drive?

(NAT in router is configured with open ports/forward)

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@littomalt wrote:

net use * /delete

Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and slash direction."

Thanks

Do you mean with the net use commands, or in file explorer?  The net use commands were suggested as a test - to check if CMD also had a problem resolving the NAS name.  Though of course you can use them routinely if you like.

There's no sure-fire method I know of to get name resolution to always work.  You can just use the IP address, or add an entry to the hosts file on the PC.  Those of course are just workarounds.

@littomalt wrote:

In WIN7 should i use switch /persistent for the net use command.

You can if you want it to be remounted automatically when you reboot.  Sometimes that doesn't quite take, and you still need to remount it manually.

@littomalt wrote:

Is it posible to reach share from WAN side like a remote mounted drive?

(NAT in router is configured with open ports/forward)

It's not safe to forward the ports for SMB (or worse to put the NAS in the DMZ), so don't do those things.  I replied to your other post on this.  

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements